Old 07-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #1

City: North
Vessel Name: Broadbill
Vessel Model: Willard 36
Wind turbine

Looking to add wind turbine to my liveaboard before winter arrives and daylight hours are cut way back,plus my winter spot gets a good blow all winter,I already have a solar setup with victron charge controller,and have shore power and 30 amp 2 bank house charger,but want to wind generator regardless prepping the boat for mooring,who has wind generator on their boat,and what are the most reliable I'm looking at tesup
Lostsailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I dont have one. I have heard they are all noisy SHRUG
I really dont know.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have heard a number of the typical wind turbines on boats and they are noisy.

I have heard that some are less noisy than others but I haven't seen any that weren't.

I have wondered about a vertical turbine and wondering if that might be quieter. There are some new designs being developed that do look interesting.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
I have sailed on a boat with a D400 wind turbine. They are supposed to be one of the best. I didn't find noise to be an issue. The output was disappointing. They are a 400 watt generator but you need crazy wind. 10-15 only gets you 5 amps.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210717-182530.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	119399
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:09 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
WAY too noisy

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:03 AM   #6
FF
Guru

The old units were just a DC motor spun by a prop and were never quiet.

Most MFG have changed the blade configuration over the past decades and although not silent are far quieter than the older units.

Some sell retrofit blades to tame the antiques.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #7
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
I have had an Air-Breeze by SouthWinds for more than a decade. It is on a schedule 40 stainless post through the top covering my cockpit. It does vibrate. Noise is relative. Is your generator "noisy" or do you consider it a good part of your charging system?

Power output is not great. Now I originally had Air-X blades on my updated Air-Breeze unit. Recently I upgraded to the carbon fiber blue and white blades. My friend did so last year and says these blades turn sooner and produce more power. She also said they were quieter.

Frankly, I consider having a wind genny a Good Idea. If the sun isn't shining there is a good chance the wind is blowing. With the wind generator I am usually in absorption charing mode (solar panels) by 11 a.m. I like having redundancies.

If your wind generator is too noisy for you, the stop switch can stop the unit. Mostly the noise is aboard your vessel not out into the anchorage. If it is the clang of the halyards on sailboats is bothersome, so too will be a wind generator. Still, after a few nights you probably won't notice it often.

That's my experience.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #8
Guru

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
If your wind generator is too noisy for you, the stop switch can stop the unit. Mostly the noise is aboard your vessel not out into the anchorage. If it is the clang of the halyards on sailboats is bothersome, so too will be a wind generator. Still, after a few nights you probably won't notice it often.

That's my experience.

This is so true.
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #9
Guru

I was near a sailboat a clue weeks ago that had a wind generator. It may have been having some trouble but it was a very loud raspy noise.

My generator is very quiet inside my boat and even less so outside. 20 yards away it can't be heard.

Having said that, I would love to have a wind generator to supliment the 365W of solar that I have. My two priorities would be ease of maintenance and noise. Also, many of the wind generators that I've seen seem to take a bit more wind to operate than what we often have in the PNW in the summer months.

Someday.....

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Like windmill projects and solar fields....there are better locations for one over another.

If you boat in areas of low winds (I prefer), the wind is never going to be much more than a sliver of power. However...I have had stormy weather for a couple days where solar was weak and wind was strong.

If you have many square feet that solar can occupy...then most likely your best bet in the continental US.

There are 2 wind generators on the next dock over....I rarely notice them. Even when I listen for them because of threads like this.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #11
Guru

Janet wrote;
“I have had an Air-Breeze by SouthWinds for more than a decade. It is on a schedule 40 stainless post through the top covering my cockpit. It does vibrate. Noise is relative. Is your generator "noisy" or do you consider it a good part of your charging system?”

Noise is noise. One or two boats in an anchorage …. Mostly tolerable. But I mostly object to 30 os so whizzing away in my marina … VERY objectionable.
That was the case in Everett Wa and there there there were halyards too. Seemed like 100 of them.

Now we’re in a covered moorage and almost never hear either one. YES!

Old 07-18-2021, 07:39 PM   #12

City: Skagway Alaska
Vessel Name: Nowitna and Serenade
Vessel Model: Schucker and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom sailboat
I have an air-x wind generator with the blue blades and yes it makes noise but no vibration in the manner I have it mounted. I like the sound of energy going into my house bank.

I have solar panels I have engine alternator I have Honda 2200 watt gas generator and I like options and back up systems.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:05 PM   #13

I'm starting of by machining a custom adjustable mount for my solar panel,its only 160 watts but its mounted like crap,the new mount will rotate 360 degrees and swivel 90 degrees to maximize output,as its mounted now it can already keep up with my refrigerator if its sunny,being summer with the extra sunlight,but with new mount hoping to squeeze a couple more amps out of the old girl,and just gonna have to wait for winter to see how much I loose,maybe add another 160 watt panel parallel and the 200 watt tesup dolphin
Old 07-20-2021, 10:29 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsailor13 View Post
I'm starting of by machining a custom adjustable mount for my solar panel,its only 160 watts but its mounted like crap,the new mount will rotate 360 degrees and swivel 90 degrees to maximize output,as its mounted now it can already keep up with my refrigerator if its sunny,being summer with the extra sunlight,but with new mount hoping to squeeze a couple more amps out of the old girl,and just gonna have to wait for winter to see how much I loose,maybe add another 160 watt panel parallel and the 200 watt tesup dolphin

That could help a lot. I have a single panel but it is fixed to the pilothouse roof. At times it can be partially shaded by the arch or Bimini on the flybridge. There are better places and mountings, but this was relatively simple and, most importantly, approved by my wife.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-20-2021, 10:54 AM   #15
Guru

I think the wind generators are kind of a fad.
Everybody's doi’in it sort of a thing.
A low buck ticket into the mod e-crowd.

And .. just don’t need it.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post

Fad? they have been around for decades in the tropics where the trade winds are perfect for wind generators....

Not everyone is doing it, but a lot of dreamer sailors thinking they are gonna wind up there get them in hopes of accomplishing their dreams.

If any other old timers are out there...I think wind generators were around more so than solar before it became so much more efficient...anyone remember?

.....here's one reference I can find.

https://www.lifeofsailing.com/post/b...-for-sailboats

Wind generators, also known as micro turbines, have come a long way since their first appearance on the cruising scene back in the 1970's.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post

Wind generators have been around for a long time. Certainly not a fad. I have had wind generators on previously owned sailboats where they work quite well.

"Trawlers," especially those with all the conveniences of home, consume so much power that a wind generator that on average will deliver less than 160 watts of power (maximum power -- 400 watts -- is only delivered at 25 - 30 kts plus of wind), only makes a fraction of the power deficient.

If you have modest power needs than a wind generator will work for you.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:49 PM   #18

Custom bracket allows full latitude adjustment bringing efficiency up to 90% 6 o'clock and making 8amps,now I can start tesup
Attached Thumbnails
20210722_173427.jpg  
Old 07-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsailor13 View Post
Custom bracket allows full latitude adjustment bringing efficiency up to 90% 6 o'clock and making 8amps,now I can start tesup

More pics please. What generator did you get?

On my last sailboat, I consumed 6-8 amps of energy. The wind generator would provide anywhere from 5-8 amps. With the addition of a 100 watt solar panel I was usually golden.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:37 PM   #20
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
might be interesting ????

https://www.amazon.com/TQ-Vertical-G...1-catcorr&th=1
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote