Williams sport jet tenders.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
I may be looking to replace my Novurania rib at some point.

I saw the Williams sport jet tenders. What’s the advantage of one in the PNW where maybe prop strikes aren’t as much of a concern. Anyone tried kne? Pricey of course but just curious.

From a quick look at the website, the only thing that excites me about them would be if you had a big enough boat to get the diesel model, and could fill it off your main fuel tanks. It is 1800lb thought, so you would need a serious yacht to carry it. I bet they are shockingly expensive. My personal top priority for a dingy in the PNW where we boat, is abrasion and puncture resistance, so you can pull it up on jagged barnacle covered rocks, with moderate waves complicating the situation.

Yes, I’m sure they are much more pricey than the standard RIB. Didn’t know whether there was some great benefit to that. I’m sure finding a Rotax service technician might be challenging too.

I have not driven a jet tender but if anything like a waverunner a jet can be a bit challenging around the dock. Sexy though!

The lightest one, the Mini, is 480 lbs dry advertised so figure well over 500 lbs. You don't need to worry about damage pulling it up on the rocks because there is no way you are beaching that in most of the PNW except on a carefully chosen rising tide.

I think BandB have one, so probably will respond shortly. I looked at them only from a curiosity standpoint. The price tag is where I stopped. Certainly a fast ride if you want to explore away from the mother ship.

Ted

We never had a Williams jet tender but we did have other jet tenders. In our case we ended up preferring tenders with outboards for a few reasons...
- easier to clear seaweed/debri
- easier to service / work on
- faster
- less fuel per mile used
YMMV

I buddy boated with someone who has one as a tender on a 50 footer. I think it was the smallest Williams model. Super fun to drive fast! Not a great utility boat...too much interior volume wasted on a console, too heavy to drag up and down a beach, too nice to beat up with crabbing gear and muddy boots. Jets also take some getting used to at low speed. But it sure was fun to race around!

I have an old Avon Jet that I don't use much anymore. The reason I bought it (15 years ago) was my wife was concerned about safety, particularly as our three children were small at the time.

Other than safety, I think the biggest selling point of these jet-powered dinghies is the amount of power - and resulting acceleration and speed - they can pack in a small dinghy that yachts fit in their garages.

My 3.2 metre (just over 10 feet) Avon has an 80 HP engine. At full speed (in flat seas) it provides a hair-raising experience.

It would get up on a plane with my wife and I, our three children and our two Labradors.

I bought a replacement for my Nautica jet rib last year, went to an aluminum bottom rib with an outboard. The Nautica rediculously powered with an 85hp Yamaha motor was just not practical. It was too heavy, too loud and generally just too much hassle just to take the dogs to shore in the early morning.

I cleaned it up late last fall, got the blue hypalon looking nice, put new gauges in it, steering and throttle cables and took a ride before selling it and there was one major problem. It’s seriously FUN, it’s fast. It’s like smile on my face every time I take it out. It may not be practical, but you look forward to using it.

But this thing is getting old, it’s a 2001 and at that age it’s not going to bring tons of cash. I keep coming up with reasons to keep it, but honestly I don’t need it. I keep,thinking I’ll just keep it at my marina for fun rides to nowhere. It really is a blast to zip around in. Completely impractical. But I’m seriously having a hard time mentally getting rid of it. Think maybe I’ll keep it until mid summer when prices are still high and get some final fun out of it first. So I don’t know what to say about jet ribs. An aluminum bottom outboard inflatable makes so much more sense, but the Ribjet will bring many more smiles per gallon. You probably shouldn’t buy one, but I’d love to have it.

If you are in the pacnw I’d check the rules in the San Juan’s, jet skis and the skidoo jet boats of years past are all illegal up here due to noise pollution. I’ve never seen either and heard it’s enforced strictly but have no first hand experience. I’m not sure how the rule is written so it might apply just to pwc, either way if it sounds at all like a jet ski you will likely get reported.

I think they come on the Beneteau Oceanis 62 as part of a super slick tender garage, I saw one a few years back up near Cortez Bay but don’t remember if I heard the skiff start.

I also looked at them when I needed a new tender but quickly was turned away by the price and rotax, I didn’t know about the rules in the islands back then and have never been on a test ride.

If you are in the pacnw I’d check the rules in the San Juan’s, jet skis and the skidoo jet boats of years past are all illegal up here due to noise pollution. I’ve never seen either and heard it’s enforced strictly but have no first hand experience. I’m not sure how the rule is written so it might apply just to pwc, either way if it sounds at all like a jet ski you will likely get reported.

I think they come on the Beneteau Oceanis 62 as part of a super slick tender garage, I saw one a few years back up near Cortez Bay but don’t remember if I heard the skiff start.

I also looked at them when I needed a new tender but quickly was turned away by the price and rotax, I didn’t know about the rules in the islands back then and have never been on a test ride.

The rule is weird, it depends on whether you sit ON or IN. The rib jets that you sit in like a normal boat are fine. I was never questioned about mine, but then I didn’t go doing donuts around the mouth of Friday Harbor either.

Ahh ok, so basically it’s limited to just sit on pwc? Do the Williams sound like a jet ski?

My realtor warned me about them when we first got a place here, I’m guessing the reason i heard those old skidoo jets count as well has to do with many of them being like a boat built around a jet ski versus having a cockpit, wheel, etc.

Last edited:
I had an original Kawasaki 550 jet ski, the type where you stood up and it took some skill to pilot. Many replacements of the impeller as I sucked sand in to. Ticketed by the local police for towing a water skier with no observer! Ah, what we do when we are young! Yes, they are annoying in sound. Two stroke engine.

The jet tenders are heavy and not nearly as space efficient as an outboard. Jets in general aren’t very fuel efficient, which matters if you are carrying your own gas on extended trips. They would be fun and maybe easier around sand bars, but not a good combo for our needs in a tender. Our current cruising area is PNW/BC.

Jet Tenders/RIBS

As to some that people might have had in the past, many were just ribs with Yamaha waverunner engines and drives and gave a good bit of trouble. Novurania has some high end jet tenders, excellent. Nautica was not nearly equal. Then there are some brands like Carbon Craft and Castoldi that are quality but extremely expensive. Avon made three models and we have one of them that came relabeled on a Riva. They and Williams were very comparable. There have been companies like Ribjet to do very little and Aquascan hasn't done much more. Again, some have used the Yamaha units which have been more problematic. Agilis is not sold in the US.

Now there is one new player worth considering. AB has added 7 jet models and as they're a dependable RIB producer, I'd expect great success. They use Rotax now as well.

When we got our first Williams gas models (we also have diesel), they were Weber engines (now Textron). The switch to Rotax was fairly recent, first in certain models, then expanded. We were concerned but after experience with them are not so. I think it's more along the lines of Rotax as used in boats like Chaparral rather than Sea Doo. So far have performed well.

We love jet tenders. All but the one Avon we have are Williams. We've been very pleased with them. Safety is a factor, although not so much in an area the water is too cold to enter. Shallow water usage is sometimes overstated. I don't recommend under 2' of water as depending on the bottom, you're more inclined to suck in debris, whether plant or sand. Just because you can go shallower, doesn't mean it's wise to do regularly.

We like the balance of having the engine inboard and that does help with ride and performance. We love the performance. 40 knots is nice and the ability to carry a load and cruise well at 20-25 knots to explore is even nicer. With the hours we put on, maintenance is less than an outboard. Also, flushing systems are built in.

Then the biggest advantage perhaps is size. A 14' jet rib will take the space of a 12' outboard rib as you have to add the motor and it's space. So length is all within the RIB. Then there is height. Without an outboard they take up very little space. On your bridge they sit low. On your platform, they sit low. And where Williams has built their market in Europe is the proliferation of garages. Sure is nice to just open the door and roll it out into the water. Yet, inside your hull, you barely notice as they sit neatly above anything inside in more configurations.

We carried a Williams 385, now 395 fits, on a Sunseeker Manhattan 65's swim platform. The 395 is 12'8". The biggest outboard version you could fit would be 11' and the 395 has the interior space of a 14' outboard rib, and seats 6, so basically outboard leads to 3' less if stored in that way. On a 52' Riva with a garage one can get a 10'9" Jet seating 4. That boat has no way of carrying an outboard. On our AB we were able to get two ribs instead of a rib and jet ski.

The Williams ride is also great as they have deep v's for their size. We've done a comparison to similar sized Boston Whalers on the west coast of FL with the Whaler dealer and in rough water and the Williams very much outperformed the Whaler.

Negatives are:
-initial cost
-fuel capacities are low vs usage at speed
-you still must be respectful of shallow water and debris and not assume a jet is fine in it. Similarly if beaching, you must cut it off early as you'd lift an outboard. Don't run it into sand.

With ourselves and those close to us, a total of something like 12 Jet Ribs and we're sold. Sold on Williams, although not dismissing AB by any means.

Ahh ok, so basically it’s limited to just sit on pwc? Do the Williams sound like a jet ski?

My realtor warned me about them when we first got a place here, I’m guessing the reason i heard those old skidoo jets count as well has to do with many of them being like a boat built around a jet ski versus having a cockpit, wheel, etc.

No, they do not sound like jet skis.

Who sells and services them on the west coast?
Total was a common engine in ultralight airplanes.
Are they less noisy than a modern outboard? Diesel sounds interesting

Who sells and services them on the west coast?
Total was a common engine in ultralight airplanes.
Are they less noisy than a modern outboard? Diesel sounds interesting

Hawkshore in Dana Point, Shelter Island Inflatables in San Diego.

Diesel is good but you're talking 1700-1800 lbs for the smallest models, 14' range. Ribjet did try a 10' with a 50 hp engine, around 800 lbs.

Diesel will not run as fast as a gas in the same boat, but nice and steady and uses less fuel.

I'd say sound is about the same as on a 10-15' boat, you're in such tight quarters, anything is loud.

I just noticed the weight after I posted. Yeah, that won’t work with my crane. Or boat deck. My tender is 13.5’ so it would be nice to be a little shorter once the engine is included. San Diego though is too far for service so that eliminates consideration too and it appears no Vancouver.

I just noticed the weight after I posted. Yeah, that won’t work with my crane. Or boat deck. My tender is 13.5’ so it would be nice to be a little shorter once the engine is included. San Diego though is too far for service so that eliminates consideration too and it appears no Vancouver.

Anyone can service. Standard issue. The Rotax engines are Canadian by heritage. Nothing complicated.

Had one. Only boat I was ever happy to get rid of.
Yes, they are fun-fast, and not very safe at speed. Cut the throttle at speed and you have no steering. Steer very poorly around the dock - if at all. Power unit takes up too much space in the boat. Sucks weeds and debris. Loud compared to new 4-smoke outboards. Heavy. Tough to service as compared to an outboard, you have to deflate the tube to have a good reach.
I feel much safer in my 70 MPH, 17 ft, 200HP outboard. Good thing my investment was limited to begin with.
But it's still a boat so it was still love.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom