Old 07-26-2021, 04:24 PM   #1

City: Atlanta
Vessel Name: Adria
Vessel Model: Willard 40
Willard Marine 40

Appreciate any comments on a Willard Marine 40 / trawler.
Thinking of making an offer on one, hope to do the loop.
Comments on liveability, performance, quality of build, etc would be helpful.
Reggards
Knightflier
Knightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Is the draft appropriate for looping?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
Guru

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
It's a 4.25' draft boat.
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I like Willards (obviously) but it would seem to me that there would be lots of boats w a lot more room and the features space gives. One dosn’t need a Willard to do extensive inland boating.
A boat more like a Great Harbor would do the deed better.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #5

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
We spent a month cruising on an older Willard 40 sedan in the PNW. Even without stabilization it felt very sure-footed in a blow in the Georgia/Malaspina straights. Comfortable rolling motion. Space utilization was good. Biggest downside was engine access. Almost impossible for a tall person to work around the engine with only about 3 feet of headroom. I understand the pilot house version has better engine access.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I would be more concerned with airdraft . Make sure you can clear the lowest bridges (17' or so. 15' is better) with lowering antennas,Biminis etc,,
Old 07-27-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post
We spent a month cruising on an older Willard 40 sedan in the PNW. Even without stabilization it felt very sure-footed in a blow in the Georgia/Malaspina straights. Comfortable rolling motion. Space utilization was good. Biggest downside was engine access. Almost impossible for a tall person to work around the engine with only about 3 feet of headroom. I understand the pilot house version has better engine access.
Actually, the PH version does not have better access. I personally like the ER on the W40s, though concede this compares to other boats in the class that do not have stand-up ERs (including the KK42). W40's have a mid-ship thwart fuel tank vs twin saddle tanks that are common on boats in this size/class. This has a number of benefits. First, a buffer between the ER and sleeping quarters. Second, balanced ride as fuel is consumed. Finally, ER is wide-open with plenty of room for gear, including a Splendide clothes washer if desired. I'm not quite 6-foot tall and find the W40 ER comfortable to work in in a seated position.

The W40 is a relatively small 40-footer with a modest beam and canoe stern. But what a boat she is. Attractive lines, 2000 nm range at under 2gph/7-kts, and very comfortable ride. Accommodations are not fancy, but more than adequate for a couple with occasional guests. My only demerit for them is I'm not a fan of cored decks (KK42s are similar). Depending on how she's equipped - if still has mast/boom, air-draft may be an issue for the Loop.

But I agree with Eric - while I'd definitely chose a W40 for The Loop, I am a solid Willard fan, having owned two (current W36 and prior W30) for the past 25+ years and still loving the boats. But I'd have to set aside my bias and ask folks what they are trying to accomplish with the boat. My wife and I cruised the Sacramento Delta for weeks at a time and really liked the jogging-speed pace of a full-displacement boat. We also loved the protected running gear - I would not own a boat again without well-protected running gear.

To the OP - if you're looking at Adria, one of the last W40's built around 1999, she's reportedly a fine example that has been owned for 15+ years by a very knowledgeable owner who also owned a W30 before her. Great example that has been stored in a climate controlled warehouse each winter so is likely in exceptional condition.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...rd-40-3617588/

If you're looking at Lilliana, a 1978 W40 located in the San Carlos MX (top of Sea of Cortez, several hour drive south of Arizona), she's been owned by another owner with a lot of experience. Current owner also cruises a W30 in southern Alaska. This owner happens to be a 3-boat owner - he sails a vintage 35-foot sailboat on SF Bay. To say he's knowledgeable is an understatement.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...0-fbs-3847758/

Personally, I prefer the sedan layout to the PH layout. These are both good examples.

Good luck - and feel free to join the Willard Boat Owners Group at https://willardboatowners.groups.io/g/main. Owners and/or lookers are always welcomed.

Peter
(co-moderator Willard Boat Owners group)
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:12 PM   #8

City: North
Vessel Name: Broadbill
Vessel Model: Willard 36
Never been on the 40 but can speak highly about the 36 very comfortable smooth riding with great range,I have lived aboard mine for coming up on first year,and the compliments I receive about my Willard is almost on a daily basis,such a pretty old girl and was love at first sight
Lostsailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:27 AM   #9
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Welcome aboard.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:02 AM   #10

City: Sarasota, FL
Vessel Name: Constellation
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Such beautiful boats, keep us apprised on what you decide.

Den
M/V Constellation
Constellation1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:43 PM   #11

City: berkeley
Vessel Name: formerly owned Puffin/Lilliana
Vessel Model: Willard 30/40
Our Willard 40, Lilliana is currently for sale. We have owned her for 14 years cruising Sea of Cortez, Mexico and SE Alaska. To me there is no finer cruising boat in that size.

She effectively has a stand-up ER because access to the engine is via a very large floor hatch, supported on air springs.

If you do a search under terms like Lilliana for sale, you will learn a lot about the W40.

Presently she is listed with a broker so a private sale is not possible to buyers contacting that office.

Richard P.
rpackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:47 PM   #12

City: berkeley
Vessel Name: formerly owned Puffin/Lilliana
Vessel Model: Willard 30/40
Here is the link to Lilliana our W40

https://sites.google.com/view/willar...liana-for-sale
rpackard is offline   Reply With Quote