Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Will you be a boater for the rest of your life?

40 years and counting. *The day I don't have a boat a big part of my life will be over. *Cruising, managing the boat and planning future trips keeps one foot out of the grave. *I have known people that have cruised well into their 80's. *If I don't spend the money cruising, it will just go to the kids. They say that they would rather worry about where Dad is now than to know where he is in a cemetary. *Gotta love my kids.

Besides, it's a hook for spending time with the grandkids. *They go to the mountains with us in the summer, and a week boat trip each year. *It's nice that they are always asking where we are all going this year. *This year it's the Bahamas again. *Our time with them is precious.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #22
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

I never owned a boat until I retired, eleven years ago, and even on other peoples' boats hadn't sailed for many years. Went from sail to trawler about 5 yr ago when the First Mate tired of winches, heeling, etc. My experience living in a retirement area where most of the boat owners are 60++ is that as we age, many of the couples sell their boats because one or the other of them cannot get around any more and doesn't feel safe aboard.

It might not be me that quits first, but if my Mate tires of the cruising life I will likely try something else as well. Maybe rock climbing.

Hopefully not for a while.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #23
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Yes, but it will not be in our will.* What we would like to do when we*can't use it anymore is sink it for a fish habitat.* We paid cash for the boat (I don't believe in financing my toys) and we did not buy it with any intention of ever getting a dime out of it when we can no longer use it.* So we are not counting on*or depending on anything it might bring in a sale to someone else.

*I paid cash for my boat too, and resale isn't important, but even if I (or my heirs)* give it away, if it is still running, I wouldn't sink it. I'd hope someone might continue to enjoy the old thing.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

My Admiral and I are relatively new to boating (relative to most of you, that is). Working on my friends boats was all I needed to have a negative attitude toward ever owning a boat. Then in 2004, my new Admiral asked if we were going to do the "Miami thing" or not. When I heard that this involved having a boat, I said "NO WAY". Later that year, I gave in when I saw how important the expansive world of water was for her. I think the only way to maintain this necessary element for her is to be involved in boating. Over the next couple of years, I transformed my engineering interests to the study of boats, hulls, architects, etc.. Now, it seems I'm more hooked on the life than she is.

Since we have been entertaining many cruisers and live-aboard's at our dock, both of us have softened to the suggestion of living aboard someday. Our plan is to be full-time cruising in July 2013. I think our future in boating has so much more to do with the boating type of community than it does boat ownership, boats or even water. Among the cruising and live-aboard community, we see people with adventurous hearts, youthful spirits, a higher sense of self-responsibility, independence and curiosities that evolve the soul. I think what allures us most are being close to these elements in people, caring about one another, being considerate of one another, and sharing the experience with an enthusiastic camaraderie.

I don't mind the idea of my last breath being taken on the tidal wave that finally takes us all out, but curiously, I'd rather be at the top of the wave where I can ride it all the way to the very end. Since I'll likely do whatever I can to maintain my buoyancy, I guess that means I'm a boater (at least in intention) forever, and if the last breath turns out to be on the dirt in a wheelchair, I'll still be looking for the wave.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

I can't imagine not having a boat.* We don't have kids so we'd probably leave it in our estate and our executor can deal with it.* Hopefully we will maintain it until the end so it won't be too much of a hassle to sell.* We may have to drag along young relatives to help us when we get to where we can't handle the lines or what have you.* Or we will spend time on it at the dock, as we do a lot of now anyway...
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Quote:
healhustler wrote:
My Admiral and I are relatively new to boating (relative to most of you, that is). Working on my friends boats was all I needed to have a negative attitude toward ever owning a boat. Then in 2004, my new Admiral asked if we were going to do the "Miami thing" or not. When I heard that this involved having a boat, I said "NO WAY". Later that year, I gave in when I saw how important the expansive world of water was for her. I think the only way to maintain this necessary element for her is to be involved in boating. Over the next couple of years, I transformed my engineering interests to the study of boats, hulls, architects, etc.. Now, it seems I'm more hooked on the life than she is.

Since we have been entertaining many cruisers and live-aboard's at our dock, both of us have softened to the suggestion of living aboard someday. Our plan is to be full-time cruising in July 2013. I think our future in boating has so much more to do with the boating type of community than it does boat ownership, boats or even water. Among the cruising and live-aboard community, we see people with adventurous hearts, youthful spirits, a higher sense of self-responsibility, independence and curiosities that evolve the soul. I think what allures us most are being close to these elements in people, caring about one another, being considerate of one another, and sharing the experience with an enthusiastic camaraderie.

I don't mind the idea of my last breath being taken on the tidal wave that finally takes us all out, but curiously, I'd rather be at the top of the wave where I can ride it all the way to the very end. Since I'll likely do whatever I can to maintain my buoyancy, I guess that means I'm a boater (at least in intention) forever, and if the last breath turns out to be on the dirt in a wheelchair, I'll still be looking for the wave.
*Healhustler - That is*poetic!* Real Nice Copy! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #27
Per
Guru

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:
A request for a viking funeral will be in the will.* The ship is going down with me.
*I had to wiki that one, although I have viking blood I was not completely sure the entire meaning of that term.

As it turns out, a viking chief is cremated in his longship (on land) together with his slaves and other belongings (to enjoy in the afterlife).
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Yup, till the day I die...........maybe longer.
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
Veteran Member

As long as I am able . . .
Boathommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #30
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

What do you mean by boater? *When we move off the Eagle we will sell it, but we will still have a 20 ft run which we will tow behind the land yacht, under 30 ft, *We retire in two years and will live on the Eagle in the warmer summer months, 60 to 90 days, and the land yacht in southern warmer climes during the colder winter months. We will probable have a boat of some kind until the REST HOME. ****
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #31
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

I'm not going to answer due to being superstitious!
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #32
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Will you be a boater for the rest of your life?

Daysailer,

Weekender,

Crew,

*Liveaboard sailboat (27' f/ 3 years),

Trawler (35'),

16' cuddy,

18' cuddy,

Trailerable 40 year old, 28' houseboat (at 67 years old) - it or something else that floats will be around for the kid. More here:

http://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/201...roduction.html

-- Edited by jeffnick on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 12:00:06 PM
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote