Will trawlers disappear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This post is not to debate which hull shape is better at any type sea handling than an another, nor which hull shape is more generally liked by owners than another.

What I would like to learn...

With the computer power available [e.g. IBM's Big Blue...etc.]. Why is it even a procedure of general gab twixt boat owners which hull shape is better than another for certain types of sea conditions - or even for sea conditions in general? "Computer calculated" best hull shapes should be available on the net

I feel that a computer program should be able to come within 99.999% of hull design perfection. That would remove the conjectures, antidotes and guesswork out of what bottom shape in coordination to power, weight ratio and what type of sea conditions would generally be expected to be experienced.

Is my line of thinking correct?

Or.... and this is a BIG What If: Are the varying needs to calculate "best" hull designs out of the reach of computers??? Oh No Uncle Bill!

Art....I think much like I pointed out about hull extensions instead of swim platforms.

All design involves compromise...so there is no best without limiting parameters.

Even general sea conditions are never "general" because of the size and limitatons of your desired design parameters.

I see what you are thinking...but I bet a really good and experienced architect could get you in your 90th percentile in 10 seconds after you told him what you wanted....it might take longer getting the boat you want into the hull shape...but off the top of their heads I bet would come close enough.

Trawlers

Although I agree there is plenty of stupidity going around these days, changes to cruising in the future will be more due to changes in technology that we can't foresee. Same reason we don't use horses as our primary source of travel anymore.

We don’t use horses anymore because of fossil fuels. Right now, we are the largest provider of fossil fuels in the world. Our economy is based on energy production. Trains can move 500 tons of material 1 mile on1 gallon of diesel. Very efficient. We are 15 years away from electric or solar power being efficient enough or affordable enough to be able to even approximate that. Even by conservative estimates, that timeframe is questionable. The last time hydrogen was used blew up in New Jersey on the Hindenburg. We need to continually look for and research other sources of energy while using the assets we have now in order to make ourselves energy independent from OPEC. Slow trawlers are very efficient and will be around for a long time while we transition. We will all be gone before that happens. If you want a diesel powered trawler, buy it. It will last longer than you do.
My opinion.

Art I think you’re depending too much on computers.

socal,
A canoe stern is not much different than a run-of-the mill sailboat stern. So providing a canoe stern on a sailboat is a very insignificant difference. So style could be a resson to do it.
But on a trawler it’ significant to say the least. First off most trawlers are SD hulled boats and one almost needs a SD hull for a canoe stern.

Dan wrote;
“Is it correct to say, canoe stern do not like following seas?“

Very incorrect. Basically it’s the best stern for following seas.
I once asked someone who should know the same question and he said ideally the best hull for stern seas would be when both ends looked just the same.

I don’t know how many will relate to this but a double end boat at an angle to stern seas will nest into two crests and a trough w the w the port bow resting on the face of a wave ahead and the stern nesting on the stbd stern quarter of the wave aft. Think about it.
With the stern at an angle with a big box corner sticking out or trying to be inside that stern wave a lot of lift will occur and twist the boat .. anti- clockwise. This will push the stbd bow into the wave but little lift will occur at the corner because of the pointy shape. Boat is experiencing heavy anti-clockwise roll input. W/o lift fwd and to stbd the aft port corner will lift easily and smartly rotate the boat for a nice beginning of an anti-clockwise capsize falling to port into the trough.
But with a canoe stern the same scenario above would not promote boat rotation promoted by the port stern corner as in above. And thus w both corners much the same (in shape) only small amounts of lift will occur AT EACH CORNER. So far less rolling forces will be acting on the boat. So there’s little rolling .. depending on specific design.

New thread in General Discussion ..
Canoe (or double end) boats efficient?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom