Will i be safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"
Today, 08:32
kalbahnov
Re: WILL I BE SAFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxcruise View Post
Thanks Tuffr2. I know they will watch over me and do everything possible to make the deck safe for me.
well .. everything short of wondering about your safety before they sold the house.

I don't mean to be negative and I'm sure your folks are the loving sort but if I were them, considering your age, I would postpone my trip a few years. In fact I have personally considered my dog's needs in my relocation plans over the years as well as put off ideas like cruising until I was post-dog, which is where I am now.

A few concerns come immediately to mind. One is that the terms "dog rescue sailboat" bring up way too many hits on youtube, and those are just the ones that someone captured on video. Worst nightmare. Rather go overboard myself.

Another is that you're at an age where you're going to start needing more and more medical attention or even, in the worst case, EOL care. Again, not trying to be a downer little buddy - it's just that I've been through it 5 times. It would be a bummer if your folks were so busy enjoying the nightlife that they didn't notice the signs that you're in need, or if they chalked them up to sea sickness.

Maybe if you were a puppy and you had the chance to develop some instincts around such a life - and of course the wait for them would also be a much bigger sacrifice in that case - but at your age I wouldn't risk it."

I don't know, doesn't exactly sound unreasonable to me. Plus it's coming from someone with some experience to back up their point of view.

I mean you, and I'm addressing the people not the fictional typing dog, asked the question. So don't get all bent out of shape if all the answers aren't what your were hoping to hear.

**** happens when on the water. And it can happen very fast and/or without you even knowing it. So you should be prepared for the possibility of losing your dog.

I had a guests dog die on a trip last year. We had to wrap it up and put it in the freezer till we got to Nassau and a vet to have the dog cremated. Then it could be flown home. Pretty traumatic for the dogs owners as well as unsettling for the rest of us on board.

Just say'n.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Jenny

Barker's nest's left on the beach I do not enjoy stepping on.
It's law over here that owners pick it up, bag it and bin it.

Its why I like a cat on board.
Does its thing in a tray outside, eats fish scraps and is sure footed.................most of the time.

She fell off that rail a few nights ago and did a lap and a half of the boat before we lifted her out with a landing net.

We happily leave her all day or night, she just curls up on her bed and sleeps, couldn't care less if we are there or not as long as there is food.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_14953143515133606.jpg
    FB_IMG_14953143515133606.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20170504_180117.jpg
    IMG_20170504_180117.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 56
If we were to run a poll I'd bet there are A LOT of boat dogs on this forum.

Just to be clear, while I have been a dog owner much of my life, I have never boated with pets. I also never will. However, I know plenty that do and the dogs are fine on the boat alone if they are fine at home alone.

The Cruisers Forum post didn't sound overly bad to me. It was an opinion, whether one agrees or not, than initiating an older dog into boat life might not be the best solution. I wouldn't bite the man just because it wasn't the opinion you wanted. It sounded like it was submitted out of legitimate concern.

Now, if a dog really enjoys the cruising life, which is still to be determined in this life then it's much like with us humans, where many would rather die enjoying themselves on a boat than sitting at home.

I'd suggest the owners prepare the dog with the life jacket and pad and then take it with them. I believe the dog will love the cruising life as the vast majority do. However, as a caveat, there's always the possibility as a 12 year old dog, that it may not be able to adapt to cruising or that, like humans, health changes make cruising wrong. In those cases, I'd say to the owners to be prepared to rehome if you must.

I've had to rehome a dog before. I was changing residences and also lifestyles to where the dog would be home in an apartment alone every day and then in a kennel often when I traveled, and a lot of business travel was going to be required.

The friends who took the dog were a couple who were home all the time and had acres and acres of land for the dog to enjoy. The dog became the most spoiled dog around and followed the lady to her large vegetable garden every day, laying under a large tree waiting. They had other "farm dogs" but this was the only house dog.

Louie you have really lucked out asking your questions at this particular time. My name is Grace, I am a twelve (soon to be thirteen) year old lab mix who is in the last weeks of a three month cruising adventure.

So here is what I know.

First of all my Mom took me to the vet for a checkup. On my Bahamian adventure I needed a permit to visit the country and a letter to say I was healthy. After the initial worry, (who does like a vet anyway?), we got an ample supply of medicines and flea pills to take with us. I take half a steroid every other day and running out would not be a good option. Also I would ask if there are any “just in case“ meds we should have on board. I had a UTI infection when we were nowhere near a vet which was very uncomfortable and gave my Mom a scare but I am fine now.

Are you what they call “boat trained?” It’s up to you and your family. I thought the whole thing beneath my dignity so would not cooperate. If you want to give it a go there are many tips on the internet.

Get your folks to think about a life jacket. Mine is bright orange and I look snazzy in it. It has two handles on the back which has been helpful, especially on a fixed dock when it’s too big a jump from boat to dock and Dad has to help me.

If you think of it get Mom to pack some nail clippers. I have never had mine cut by a groomer but three months of sandy beaches and my nails are now officially talons! A human friend thinks they would look good painted red, but I am looking forward to a spa day when I get home to sort them out!

In marinas or at anchorage so long as I have had my beach time I am happy to wait in the air-conditioned salon while they head out to dinner. I love it when they invite friends over but I do not encourage them to bring their dogs. Thats a personal choice, so you decide. They do lock the door but I am on guard anyways. Should the need arise other boaters are helpful folk and will pitch in. In my travels I heard about a dog who had to be left behind when his master needed urgent medical care. The boat next door dropped anchor and looked after Gus until better arrangements could be made. Paws crossed that doesn’t happen to you but don’t stress, boaters are great at helping boaters!

Also don’t be too quick to jump off your dinghy as you get near to the beach! I know I was bursting to go sometimes and I wanted to jump. But the engine might still be on and that is dangerous, or the water might be deeper than you thought as it is so clear here in the Bahamas, or there may be lots of rocks just under the water right at the edge.

I have had a blast on my adventure, I have been in close quarters with my favorite folk for more days than I can count and it’s been terrific. If you fancy reading about my adventures check out AtAnchor.com | The Voyages Of Sonas And Her Crew. and let me know how you get on.

Happy sailing,

Grace (The World’s Best Dog)

P.S. stay away from the high water mark stuff. It smells great and it is hard to resist but eating from there will upset your tummy!

Last edited:
Wifey B: Hiya, Grace. Good info to tell him to have his parents have a medical kit and include meds he might need along the way. :)

I bet Louie will get his mom to carry him to the dock and beach so he won't get all wet. You're a big large for that.

We lost Morgan 13 months ago. He had a stroke while we were in the Bahamas. At 12 years old, he had a good run as we did. All I had to mentioned was going for a ride and he was like the energizer bunny in the dinghy and it wasn't take him to shore to pee.

The one down side of having a pet is they don't live as long as we do. If you wait, you may never leave.

Attachments

• Picture 425ac.jpg
    Picture 425ac.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture 436a.jpg
    Picture 436a.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Yeah, my girl Calypso is single, still. But spade, so no more baby Caly's.... ;(

These days, she hangs out wth two pure-bred Corgies! But I'll pass on the admiring comment to her. But -- most Porties have blue-colored skin, so she probably won't blush in any shade WE two-leggers understand.

I'm just wondering where you folks are finding all these typing dogs! Very impressive. I didn't even know they existed!

Its why I like a cat on board.
Does its thing in a tray outside, eats fish scraps and is sure footed.................most of the time.

She fell off that rail a few nights ago and did a lap and a half of the boat before we lifted her out with a landing net.

We happily leave her all day or night, she just curls up on her bed and sleeps, couldn't care less if we are there or not as long as there is food.

lol she doesn't look too happy there.

Louie, you sound like you are well adjusted to boat life. I don't think you will have any problems being left alone on the boat for short periods. I wish my little dog was enjoying boat life. She shivers and gets stressed being on the boat, even while at the dock. I hope she gets used to boat life soon cuz we want her to be part of our cruising.

We put down my travelling companion's dog in Beufort, SC last year....not pretty.

The dog did not travel well at all....even the smallest bit of motion was traumatic...big boat, dingy or car.

We were forced to use marinas virtually every night because the dog would try and jump out of the dingy at worst, at best would come back wet and sandy and climb all over her. ...making her cruising experience miserable. The expense of marinas and disappointment in few anchor outs didn't make me happy either.

The dog did almost 4 round trips to FL.....lots of heartache at times....but my companions best friend so we all compromised.

I was not alone.... having met many pet owners with similar issues as those happy with their pets.

Like boat owners who never say anything is wrong with their boat or just don't post about it, doesn't mean that some dog loving owners don't wish they didn't have to cruise with them.

Not being mean, just honest and have a lot of experience with cruisers, liveaboards.

Also, saw a few dogs overboard and lost in my years in the USCG....wonder if there is a nationwide statistics or info on how to help prevent it.

Last edited:
We've been thousands of miles with our dogs. They'd rather be on a boat than anywhere else. Just keep a bowl of water at all times and leave the A/C on when it's hot. Also they wear harnesses at all times around docks and boats so they can be retrieved. It happens.

Back
Top Bottom