WiFI at the dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It’s only money, that’s all it takes: we have the technology. Of course this is a group that started a two page thread with survey about how terrible it was that they had to pay for parking......

Bear in mind that phones do not make reliable hotspots. Sure, "you can" but phone batteries aren't designed for a constant use scenario like a hotspot. You're asking for trouble with the battery overheating and expanding. If you're only planning on temporary, intermittent use... fine. But if you're planning on multi-hour streaming... get an actual hotspot setup.

Very good point. It's also good to note that many hotspot devices are also not supposed to be plugged in and on 24x7. I've had a couple of puffed batteries after leaving some connected with the battery in while testing for weeks.

There are some, like the Netgear Nighthawk series, that allow you to pull the battery out and run it just off of AC power, which is nice so that the battery doesn't fail, but if you lose AC power....

Given how quickly you reach your 20gb hotspot limit when streaming I doubt that will be a real risk.

I just put a small fan on it and it stays cool..no fan and yes it gets hot.

All this talk about lousy Marina whfi seems like a moot point in todays day and age.

Many cellular providers have “unlimited” plans that in effect throttle after 50 gig.

Myself I have a 50 gig plan through one provider and a 60 gig plan through a different provider.

I have NEVER even dreamed of connecting to Marina WIFI

What I have is a router that has two cellular modems. I prioritize my cellular connection automatically based on availability, and can manually prioritize one over another when I for example run low on one plan, or get a higher data rate on a particular carrier.

GUYS, In my opinion the days of relying on your marina for internet should be over.

With current technology there is not a time I cannot stream movies, and I see little reason to rely on my marina for data when my cellular provider already offers that service at great prices and fantastic quality.

Cellular companies do this for a living.

GUYS, In my opinion the days of relying on your marina for internet should be over.

With current technology there is not a time I cannot stream movies, and I see little reason to rely on my marina for data when my cellular provider already offers that service at great prices and fantastic quality.

Cellular companies do this for a living.

This is the conclusion our marina came to. The cost of all new access points and much higher data rates just couldn't be justified as more and more people switch to using their existing cellular service. We did beef up the network, but only to provide decent coverage, not support the kind of throughput people might experience at home when they're the only ones using the WAN connection.

Back
Top Bottom