Wifi booster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KaJen is equipped with a Rogue Pro from Wave WiFi running through a 12 volt Netgear router. Works great for me.

I visit dozens of marinas each year so the ease of finding and logging onto the network is key. With Wave's set up the menu pops up and shows all networks, their signal strength gth, name and security type. Easy.

I have heard from cruising friends that some other installations are difficult to use but work well when connected.

Jeff at Active Captain has written several news letters on the subject. You can search the archive at Activecaptain.com

Panbo.com also has some very good reviews as well.

As both of those web sites explain, having a router/local network onboard is the way to go.

Hope this helps,
Arch

Also if you search here on TF you'll find quite a few threads on this topic.

Also if you search here on TF you'll find quite a few threads on this topic.

Yeah..There's a big thread here somewhere! After that info, I ended up going with the WirieAP. Set's up a Wifi network on the boat, and searches any external hot spots within range and connects it all. Easy to use software, Simple 12 Wiring. No separate router or ethernet cabling necessary..

http://www.thewirie.com/marine-wifi-product-AP+.html

Ah...Found the thread:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/wi-fi-booster-15582.html

20150428_133809-vi.jpg

Last edited:
I installed a Wirie AP+ a few weeks ago. One connection for power and it was up and running...router and all. So far, so good.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

WiFI Booster

Thank you all. I will do research on those items listed and give one a shot.
Thanks again
Al

WiFi rant warning...

Interesting that this thread popped up. We've been frustrated beyond belief with the horrible WiFi at our Marina in San Diego. Marina management advises "You can't expect much from a free service... so just use it to check your emails. It won't stream video or anything". :ermm: REALLY? I can go to McFreakingDonalds and stream video. For free. :banghead: This is 2015 people. Heck, most of the time I'd be thrilled to connect at any speed at my marina! Talking to several boat owners on my dock validates that I am not alone in my frustration. (To say nothing of my two 6 year olds!! :rolleyes: )

The service is provided by Beacon Wi-fi... and they refuse to acknowledge that there are any problems with their system. Initially I listened to their service rep's BS. First they said it was because I was on an iPad. OK. Brought laptop. So slow... would time out before a login screen could appear. OH. You are too far away they said. You need to buy one of our $799.00 booster systems.:eek: Really? Then I figured out that I have one of their system antenna's about 50' away from my boat, (and a second about 100'!!) Yes. It is 50' away! OH... I'm sorry. You are too close they said. You need to buy our $799.00 booster so you can connect to one that is further away!:nonono: :banghead: :confused:

OK. Done ranting. :angel:

First, I will admit that I am not a wifi/WAN/LAN/FDIC/HIPAA... whatever acronym expert. Most of the threads I have found are not written in my simple man's English.

Best I can figure out is although I am sitting 50' away from their antenna, they send out such low power that even when sitting in my cabin full of windows... I can't receive it. Or, the low power of all my devices can't travel through glass to an antenna 50' away and in direct line of sight in order to communicate?

So, my questions:

Are our boats some sort of force field that my signal can't get out? My device can show "full bars" of connectivity, but not be able to access the internet or login. Other times after successful logging in, pages load so slowly that they time-out. Is this a wifi power issue, or a bandwidth problem?

So. Do I need to buy something like the WirieAP to make up for their low power system? Do I need go to the extent of having an antenna outside, or is there something like the Wirie that I can set on the counter under the windshield in front of the lower helm?

I've read some of the other threads regarding boat networks. Not sure that I need something like that. Or do I? I just need to bring in their signal and distribute it via wifi (router?) to our 4 devices.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Yeah..There's a big thread here somewhere! After that info, I ended up going with the WirieAP. Set's up a Wifi network on the boat, and searches any external hot spots within range and connects it all. Easy to use software, Simple 12 Wiring. No separate router or ethernet cabling necessary..

The Wirie AP+: Long Range Boat WiFi and RV WiFi

Ah...Found the thread:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/wi-fi-booster-15582.html

20150428_133809-vi.jpg

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Had a WireAP for six years and love it!

Most marina wifi I have experienced from NJ to FL is pretty bad.

Most can't stream worth a darn and in many, when the weekend comes, it all but shuts down.

My home marina seems to be the best of all....not much demand and the marina manager has his own computer side business so he is savy.

I have a amplified antenna but in most marinas it's not a weak signal...it (for lack of knowing what I am talking about) seems to be lack of bandwidth.

Whatever..but I have been so disappointed in Marina wifi...I often do better with nearby open wifi or xfinity in some places.

Too small a system for to many people accessing it, limited bandwidth. Sort of like too many people trying to get water out of 1/2" hose. At 3 in the morning OK but at 7 am shower time, forget it. The marina needs to update their system. That is the only solution.

It's not my marina....it's dozens of others I have stayed at.

Many pretty nice and pricey for their area....but lousy wifi.

I see that some cruisers, my boat included....would suggest canning the showers and restrooms and upgrade the wifi...:D

Leave the tiki bar though...:thumb:

Last edited:
Interesting that this thread popped up. We've been frustrated beyond belief with the horrible WiFi at our Marina in San Diego. Marina management advises "You can't expect much from a free service... so just use it to check your emails. It won't stream video or anything". :ermm: REALLY? I can go to McFreakingDonalds and stream video. For free. :banghead: This is 2015 people. Heck, most of the time I'd be thrilled to connect at any speed at my marina! Talking to several boat owners on my dock validates that I am not alone in my frustration. (To say nothing of my two 6 year olds!! :rolleyes: )

The service is provided by Beacon Wi-fi... and they refuse to acknowledge that there are any problems with their system. Initially I listened to their service rep's BS. First they said it was because I was on an iPad. OK. Brought laptop. So slow... would time out before a login screen could appear. OH. You are too far away they said. You need to buy one of our $799.00 booster systems.:eek: Really? Then I figured out that I have one of their system antenna's about 50' away from my boat, (and a second about 100'!!) Yes. It is 50' away! OH... I'm sorry. You are too close they said. You need to buy our $799.00 booster so you can connect to one that is further away!:nonono: :banghead: :confused:

OK. Done ranting. :angel:

First, I will admit that I am not a wifi/WAN/LAN/FDIC/HIPAA... whatever acronym expert. Most of the threads I have found are not written in my simple man's English.

Best I can figure out is although I am sitting 50' away from their antenna, they send out such low power that even when sitting in my cabin full of windows... I can't receive it. Or, the low power of all my devices can't travel through glass to an antenna 50' away and in direct line of sight in order to communicate?

So, my questions:

Are our boats some sort of force field that my signal can't get out? My device can show "full bars" of connectivity, but not be able to access the internet or login. Other times after successful logging in, pages load so slowly that they time-out. Is this a wifi power issue, or a bandwidth problem?

So. Do I need to buy something like the WirieAP to make up for their low power system? Do I need go to the extent of having an antenna outside, or is there something like the Wirie that I can set on the counter under the windshield in front of the lower helm?

I've read some of the other threads regarding boat networks. Not sure that I need something like that. Or do I? I just need to bring in their signal and distribute it via wifi (router?) to our 4 devices.

Thanks!!

Our Marina has no wifi and cellular is pretty weak too. No complaints here though. We like rural.

It's not my marina....it's dozens of others I have stayed at.

Many pretty nice and pricey for their area....but lousy wifi.

I see that some cruisers, my boat included....would suggest canning the showers and restrooms and upgrade the wifi...:D

Leave the tiki bar though...:thumb:

:thumb: for tiki bars!

I wonder how many others use the same vendor? It is amazing to read how awesome they think they are on their website. Powerful systems able to accommodate today's families with multiple devices (including iPad's - which they told me was one of the problems). :rolleyes:

I've traveled quite a bit and even at the largest hotel/convention complexes never go without wifi.

There's got to be a better way!

Phyrcooler, I struggled with a similar issue at my former marina. Adding my Rogue Wave wifi extender really helped there and away from my slip. It's an easy 12V connection for the router, then power over ethernet (POE) which is a fancy way of saying that power to the antenna comes from the plastic clip computer cable (like a large telephone line). The other end of that cable plugs into the 12V wifi router.

Many routers are 12V with a wall wart to allow use in the home 110V. Just check out the router specs if this is important to you.

There are other cheaper options that might work well in your situation. Carolena recently posted this on another thread. It might be something that works for you. At $40, it's not a high risk test.

If I changed boats, the Rogue Wave is something I'd take off this boat to use on my next boat.

The WirieAP+ makes use of an external antenna too. If you don't need ethernet cabling for any device, you don't need a conventional router with 4 x ethernet ports. The WirieAP+ will give you a wireless router so you can connect your wireless devices simultaneously. It has the added benefit of being upgrade-able to the Pro, should you ever want to add boosted cellular connectivity.....which you might if the WirieAP+ doesn't give you access to a better wifi service.

But what about organizing a petition from other frustrated boaters at your marina & presenting it to management? No reason for such poor service in 2015, as you rightly say

I once had a marina manager that told me that because it was cold (probably in the 30's) was the reason the internet had slowed down.

Yep, most marinas it is just a misunderstanding of how everything works.. I tell them call Active Captain for help and they seem thankful.....but in the long run it won't get their attention till boaters make them feel wifi is as important as all the other amenities of the marina.

The ONLY benefit to a marina in having Wi Fi is they can advertise they have WI FI.

Why would they wish to spend big bucks for superior service and equipment ?

Cruising the best Wi Fi comes from unsecured folks or businesses that need to give away free WI FI to keep customers longer.

IF the marina had superior really first class WI FI would you pay an extra $5.00 per night as a transient , or $40-$60 a month as a liveaboard?

A marina might be interested in great service if it was at a profit , but as a costly free be , why bother?

Because for some of us...the most important service they provide beyond a slip and maybe ice, is wifi.

YES I would pay.

If most people are willing to pay $50 or more dollars at home for high speed internet, why wouldn't I pay for it as a floating home owner?

I'm not positive, but I don't think providing high speed wifi is nearly as costly as many other things marinas provide in their "package".

I get that most people boating don't care "yet".....but more and more everyday ask about it as they wasn't continuous connectivity in their lives...even if only for the ....restless kids :D

Last edited:
The ONLY benefit to a marina in having Wi Fi is they can advertise they have WI FI.

Why would they wish to spend big bucks for superior service and equipment ?

Cruising the best Wi Fi comes from unsecured folks or businesses that need to give away free WI FI to keep customers longer.

IF the marina had superior really first class WI FI would you pay an extra $5.00 per night as a transient , or $40-$60 a month as a liveaboard?

A marina might be interested in great service if it was at a profit , but as a costly free be , why bother?

I think your thinking is behind the times on this one. For better or worse reasonably fast to fast WiFi connectivity is what more and more cruisers are looking for. And I think they are willing to pay a bit more for it.

Although I think the smart marinas will build the cost in and offer fast "free" WiFi connection.

In the Caribbean $50 per month is the normal fee. And we are thankful when it is available.

We've been writing about marina WiFi directly to marinas for a few years. I've been involved with about a dozen new installations in the last 18 months at marinas wishing to upgrade their WiFi to something significantly better. It's an extremely complex and expensive upgrade. I'll give a little flavor of the issues.

It used to be that a boat would pull into a marina and they'd want access to email. Browsing websites and perhaps paying some bills were were occasionally done but many fewer hours were spent in front of a screen. Most boats had a single laptop.

Move forward just a handful of years and today, most boats arrive as a typical couple. They each have a laptop. And a smartphone. There's often a tablet in the mix along with a multitude of other devices that want to get online. Our off-the-shelf Samsung flat screen TV gets online when there's a WiFi connection - it grabs the TV Guide and other things. It will automatically stream from many sources.

Added to that is Facebook and other online access needs (like this forum). Consider the bandwidth difference between T&T (email) and TrawlerForum (web-based multimedia content). One thread of TrawlerForum requires more bandwidth than a month of T&T at it's highest use!

Then there's streaming video, movies, Skype, chart downloads, app downloads, and on and on.

These last few years haven't witnessed a doubling of bandwidth. The marinas have experienced a 10x increase. Maybe 20x.

So the WiFi infrastructure that the marina owner's brother-in-law installed in 2005 from pieces bought at Best Buy, just won't cut it. It has become a major IT issue in an extremely unfriendly (noise/interference-wise) environment.

The marina is also experiencing issues that they don't know how to deal with. Many boaters expect to bring their iPad deep into their stateroom to surf or watch video. But connecting that iPad through the boat, outside to the marina's antenna is a losing proposition. So the boater complains and the marina has no idea what to do.

We've been trying to help in two ways:

1. Explain the issue to marinas to help them realize that the digital world is a lot different today than just a couple of years ago. We've tried to align some marinas with companies capable of designing and installing higher-end WiFi for marinas. Like I said, about a dozen have gone in with great results although it has been expensive.

2. Explain the issue to boaters to help them realize that they need a better infrastructure on their own boat. Expecting their iPad to connect from the stateroom is unrealistic unless they upgrade their own equipment. Our WiFi newsletter segments have discussed the architecture, products, and suppliers of what's needed on a boat. I'd estimate that 25% of cruising boats have a network today appropriate for WiFi access.

To the marina, this is a very expensive endeavor. I can't give specific costs at specific marinas because that might violate some confidentiality so I'll have to be general about it. The typical marina can't upgrade their equipment for under $20,000 - and that's for a fairly small marina. Added to that is the additional monthly service fees which will add a few thousand dollars per year. Add some difficulties in the installation and the costs get much higher. Within the last 2 months, I was in the middle between a marina and an IT company helping the marina evaluate quotes received. The marina is a 60 slip marina. The installation is rather difficult. The quote for the hardware and installation was $52,000. Realistically, the hardware will be good for about 3-5 years.

All of that said, WiFi today is a utility that boaters expect. It's like water. Unless you're in the Bahamas where they produce each drop through expensive RO means, everyone expects it to be free. Charging extra for WiFi has never worked. Beacon pretty much went out of business trying that model at marinas. We believe that enhanced WiFi will bring more boaters into a marina just because of the WiFi. You might not realize it (because there are so few) but marinas with exceptional WiFi have a special icon in ActiveCaptain (spreading to all apps by the end of this year). Check out Atlantic Yacht Basin's icon where I'm at right now on the ActiveCaptain website:
https://activecaptain.com/X.php?lat=36.720156&lon=-76.233835&t=n&z=15

WiFi here is about 5-10 mbps for every boat. I routinely stream video while working on software all day here.

Within the last month, I met with an investor interested in creating a business in boating. The entire face-to-face meeting was about marina WiFi. It's a very large opportunity - I'd guess that at least 200 marinas have contacted us for guidance without even looking for potential customers. The market is easily a few thousand marinas at $20K creating a good $20-$50MM business. But neither of us could figure out a good model that would be affordable to marinas and acceptable to boaters in performance. There's even a fantastic funding capability right now at about 50% of marinas - cable TV. At a few of the marinas we've been involved with, we helped them realize that great WiFi would allow them to eliminate their cable TV hookups. One marina was paying $25,000 per year in cable charges. Their new WiFi system costs $20,000. They saved money in just the first year. They saved nearly the whole cost the second year. To them, it was a no brainer.

There's a very large marina we're talking to today. They pay - get ready for this - $60,000 per year for cable TV. Converting that to WiFi would pay for itself within 2 years. You'd think that would be a simple decision. And yet they sit there right now with no internet access at all. It's a municipal marina and their IT department doesn't like the idea of a high end network but they understand cable TV perfectly. So at $2/foot, there is no WiFi.

I recently thought that mesh networks would solve the entire problem inexpensively. Consider this...

Every boat at a marina is in proximity to the pedestal where they plug into and get water. In most marinas, it's a waterproof structure with power. Mesh networks automatically connect to each other. If one goes out, the others take its place and form the network. Check out this video - Wireless Networking Simplified:
http://www.open-mesh.com/

Mesh repeaters can be obtained for $79-$200 each. And you don't need one in every pedestal - even every 4th or 6th would probably do the job if the boat had a central router too. So that 60 slip marina with the $52,000 quote could expect to pay 60 * $100 = $6,000 for a complete solution. Now we're talking. Every marina would jump at that.

OK, so modeling it with the typical marina topology fails. Slips further out have to go through too many gateways to get to the central connection. All gateways along the path end up getting too swamped with data. The result is that the geometric progression of data flow kills it from working. That $6,000 will be thrown away.

And all of this is going to get worse. There is only more connectivity coming and more expectation of being always connected. I'm working on a new type of boat server that shares sensor/instrument data between boaters. If you consider that we help boaters share their experiences through reviews today, the next generation of that is sharing their real boating data. As you're approaching a shoaling area - you should be able to see the tracks of people earlier in the day or even last week. Want to know where people were actually anchored in an area? See their swing path, depths, and wind conditions they experienced - it's sort of like an automatic review. The Locations app I hope to release this week is an obvious first step - it shares GPS position between boaters and cuts the display in a variety of ways based on the relationship you have with the boats being viewed.

Anyway, my fear is that marinas will install an expensive system only to find it failing in a couple of years.

At the same time, cellular networks are picking up the slack very nicely. Speed is acceptable and access has become pretty great along the east coast and even Bahamas. We just jumped from the Florida border to Beaufort, NC in a 2 night passage and except for about 6 hours after Frying Pan Shoals, we had cellular internet access the entire time. 15 miles off West End at Grand Bahama, we had high speed cellular internet. The problem is that it's expensive. I sadly pay more per month for cellular internet than the monthly rent for my first apartment in 1978. And we often blow away those plans without doing any streaming video.

There are also some access issues in other areas. The west coast of the US has difficult cellular access in the remote cruising areas. Cellular costs through the rest of the world are quite expensive. BTC/Bahamas charged us $30/2GB of use. We can drink that in a good afternoon (without streaming video).

I hope that gives a little flavor into the problems. It's a really difficult one to solve. I know it seems like it should be simple and I'd certainly love to bounce around ideas to come with something that no one has thought about. Marinas all know the problems and would love to buy something to solve it.

"WiFi today is a utility that boaters expect. It's like water"

In CA the water meter may soon be on the power pole along with the electric meter..

Amazing!!!! Just amazing!!!

I cannot believe the audacity of those free wifi providers not providing FREE premium service!

Are we really complaining about something that is FREE! :blush:

So how about this...

How about we start paying for our premium service! Did you know your cell phone provider has right now a system in place that they spent millions of dollars on, that will provide you with fast internet.

Yes, you have to pay for it. But then again it works! :rolleyes:

What is the best wifi booster to boost the signal from a marina? From the bridge I get the signal but not from the salon.
Thanks

Can't say "best" but we use a simple Wave Magnum external USB Wi-Fi adapter from Radio Labs. Inexpensive, no mounting issues, no power issues, simple driver installation.

Ours is old, now; there may be newer/better versions available...

-Chris

I get that most people boating don't care "yet".....but more and more everyday ask about it as they wasn't continuous connectivity in their lives...even if only for the ....restless kids :D

That is just it though...for many, most probably, being continuous connectivity is what we do NOT want on the boat! My GF kids think the Internet should be like air, never ending and always around. Of course explaining the COST of all of that to them is fun times. :rolleyes:

That is just it though...for many, most probably, being continuous connectivity is what we do NOT want on the boat! My GF kids think the Internet should be like air, never ending and always around. Of course explaining the COST of all of that to them is fun times. :rolleyes:
Do you liveaboard? .....or cruise multiple months out of the year?

Last edited:
Amazing!!!! Just amazing!!!

I cannot believe the audacity of those free wifi providers not providing FREE premium service!

Are we really complaining about something that is FREE! :blush:

So how about this...

How about we start paying for our premium service! Did you know your cell phone provider has right now a system in place that they spent millions of dollars on, that will provide you with fast internet.

Yes, you have to pay for it. But then again it works! :rolleyes:

I posted that I would pay for it.....

But marinas better figure out their pricing then. Charging $15 a night for electricity for 10 hours could certainly be adjusted or metered....especially for smaller vessels.

I don't care about the charge as much as them promoting it as a big deal and then it's unusable for 50 to 100 percent of your stay.

Like charging in season rates as the same as out of season. If the pool, captains lounge, laundry, water and a few other things are unavailable...Charging the same in winter and summer does little to help with customer service. Especially if they don't offer premier slips or ice or more available amenities or at least something to make up for all the advertised things that are closed/unavailable.

The likelyhood of "free" internet being truly free, premium or not, is pretty slim in my option. You may not see the cost broken out, but it's in there.

Back
Top Bottom