Wicker chairs for sundeck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greysailor

Vessel Name
Salty
Vessel Make
2005 Defever 44
Howdy all,
Wife wants to replace the chairs on our sundeck with wicker(resin) chairs/sunbrella cushions. I have been searching for wicker chairs that have aluminum tube frames to preclude rust bleed. Problem is that the style/colors she likes only seem to be available with power coated steel tube frames under the wicker.:banghead:

Has anyone had good service from power coated steel frames in a saltwater environment aboard a boat?

We have had one on our aft deck for the past 5 years and it was on the fly-bridge of a friends boat for 4 years before that. It is brown so I don't really know if I would ever see any rust on the steel frame or not but I don't see any at this point. Our aft deck has been enclosed for the past year and a half but prior to that it was wide open. Seems to be holding up well.

What the heck, make her happy and replace again in a couple of years if necessary....:D

Marty.............................

We like Kettler chairs. Mostly resin and no metal.

It is really difficult to find aluminum frame chairs. We had a cheap Walmart wicker set on a previous boat for about 5 years when we sold the boat. No noticeable rust, but they were kept inside the enclosed area on the flybridge. They weren’t really out in the salt air too much.

Find ones that nest , or stack well for times more room is needed in the CP.

My boat currently has wicker furniture on the sun deck. I am going to replace them because they "shed" little pieces of wicker stuff. I've tried lots of things to try to stop the shedding, but to no avail. Get chairs that nest or fold for more room. Any suggestions for nice folding chairs?

Cheers, Bill

The last boat we had with a nice aft deck, we had wicker furniture that was made from some kind of plastic. I assume the framing was aluminum, but it was completely covered by the wicker.
I'm sure we bought it at one of the big box stores, Lowes maybe.
Held up well. Came in white only and we spray painted it black. 2 chairs and a love seat.

Attachments

• F3A5CBEF-C797-4746-8E4B-842742835D38.jpg
    F3A5CBEF-C797-4746-8E4B-842742835D38.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 58
Like many other items, outdoor furniture comes in many quality levels. Alum frames, powder coated, are much more robust in the elements. Also there is a huge difference in the quality of the vinyl used to give that "wicker" look, the stuff that flakes and shreds is not virgin vinyl like the higher quality stuff is.
Most all outdoor "wicker" furn is imported, no U.S. mfg's.

Bill

Thanks for the response folks!

Yep...lots of quality variables in this sort of product....sadly.

Of course, I could drag my old "nuclear hat" out of retirement and spec out the material, processes, QC program inspections....Then I'd probably have a set of chairs that cost as much as my boat!:facepalm:

One of the things I've learned in retirement is to just "let it go" and not expect too much from products nowadays....fretting over some things just spoils the quality time on the sundeck with a glass of Maker's Mark!:dance:

"fair" or "fare"...either way Donna, they look very fair on your boat!:lol:

Do you have the same setup on the Port side?

Yes I do. When I’m not there I just cover them with a permanent hidden tarp I made.

It is a sectional that you can arrange anyway you like. Lightweight, sunbrella fabric, great price!

"Any suggestions for nice folding chairs?"

Your local RV store should have a number to choose from as ALL must fold for an RV.

Back
Top Bottom