Old 09-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Pittsburgh Pa.
Why are you selling?

This is the first question I ask when buying anything. It often predicts how the negotiation will go.
In my search for a trawler I have contacted over a dozen brokers and inquired about many vessels, over 40, in the 36' to 40' range. This is a breakdown of why people are selling their trawlers.
Informal results from primarily Great Lakes region.
40% Health reasons
25% Death or spouse death
15% Moving up
10% Finances including upside-down boat loans
10% Moving to be closer to grandchildren.
The market for trawlers seems to be shrinking.
Iknowimcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Nobody said "my boat's a piece of crap and I just want to be rid of it?" Hmm, very interesting.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention; I inquired about only a handful of builders including; GB, KK, Hatteras and a few Pilgrims. All in the $80K to $140K range.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
You are assuming the brokers are telling you the truth.
Surprised you dont have 'divorce' in there as well.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
When I was shopping, I got similar responses when I asked the same question. Health reasons was definitely the number 1 reason from private sellers.

Honestly - I feel my boat is good for my health. With any health issues I've had, getting out on the water seems to speed the recovery.
I suppose time catches up on us all eventually. I'll probably go downhill fast once I have to give it up. I dread that day. Maybe it would be best to just sail off into the sunset.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I talked to many owners also. I've always found that people are generally honest about why they are selling. They might lie like hell about what they paid or condition, but they'll generally be straight up about why. Funny, 5 years ago when I was looking for a runabout; at least half were divorce sales.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I know why so few trawlers are divorce sales...

Thats because the guy becomes a liveaboard!

My wife asked me one day, just out of the blue... (and yes she was happy that day).

"If I kicked you out, it wouldn't bother you much would it?"

I was honest and told her that except for missing her, no it would not bother me at all. I'd just move onto the boat.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
How bout "moving to a sailboat". Thats my plan. BTW, yes mine is on the market. No rush though, we still love our Hatteras. The time to sell is when the boat still gets lots of attention and looks great. Most people wait til the boat is in bad shape then try to sell. I guess health reasons play a major role in that. Thats a shame.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I know why so few trawlers are divorce sales...

Thats because the guy becomes a liveaboard!

My wife asked me one day, just out of the blue... (and yes she was happy that day).

"If I kicked you out, it wouldn't bother you much would it?"

I was honest and told her that except for missing her, no it would not bother me at all. I'd just move onto the boat.
That's a true statement. I've spent a lifetime around boats and Marinas; there are always a few guys who insist their "wives don't like boat", when in reality they don't like each other.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
I asked my wife the other day "If I lost all my money and my boat in the stock market would she still love me?" She said she would with a "but she sure would miss me."
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknowimcrazy View Post
That's a true statement. I've spent a lifetime around boats and Marinas; there are always a few guys who insist their "wives don't like boat", when in reality they don't like each other.
I suspect you generally see that in older people. Sometimes people that spend a lifetime together change over time and take on interests that their spouses do not want to do, or at least not as much as their partner.

Just look at the boating alone thread.

The other side is after a lifetime together sometimes they don't want to spend much time around each other, and staying apart most of the time is cheaper, and easier, and less painful than divorcing.

I'm not in either situation right now, but thats not to say something might not change in the future. A lifetime is a long time.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
This is the first question I ask when buying anything. It often predicts how the negotiation will go.
In my search for a trawler I have contacted over a dozen brokers and inquired about many vessels, over 40, in the 36' to 40' range. This is a breakdown of why people are selling their trawlers.
40% Health reasons
25% Death or spouse death
15% Moving up
10% Finances including upside-down boat loans
10% Moving to be closer to grandchildren.
The market for trawlers seems to be shrinking.
Interesting Great Lakes seller-stats - Thanks!

On Pacific coast, especially SF Bay and Delta (very informal statement):

For all "new" self-contained cruising-boats, below mega yacht category, "the U.S. pleasure-boat market" appears to be broadly shrinking in the 2000's. Seems that inflatables, o/b powered smallish catamarans, small fishing boats, and ski/wakeboard speed boats may be still selling OK. The current plethora of “for sale” 24 to 49 yr old boats (self-contained pleasure craft) were built pretty darn well by reputable boat builders... especially for the first 20 +/- years (1965 - 1985) while FRP came fully into play. Back-then, most manufacturers built on over-kill status (i.e. extra thick layups and professionally cautious application of the best available materials) simply because it was unknown how well fiberglass would hold up and what the stress factors of sea-waves might do to its integrity and life-span. Well... now we know! FRP boats built really well in the early days of fiberglass are still in fine shape if owners paid a modicum of attention toward ongoing maintenance.

I too always ask “why are you selling” for any item of cost that I’m looking at with a buyers-eye. For self-contained pleasure boats what I hear most often (from private owners): “It’s more than I/we have time for now”… or… “We don’t use it that much anymore with kids grown. I just can’t see keeping it any longer. We hope it ends up in a good home”

Unfortunate for the sellers but great for the buyers… Self-contained pleasure boats (Trawlers) can usually be located for sale at reasonable prices with room for downward cost adjustment.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Interesting Great Lakes seller-stats - Thanks!

On Pacific coast, especially SF Bay and Delta (very informal statement):

For all "new" self-contained cruising-boats, below mega yacht category, "the U.S. pleasure-boat market" appears to be broadly shrinking in the 2000's. Seems that inflatables, o/b powered smallish catamarans, small fishing boats, and ski/wakeboard speed boats may be still selling OK. The current plethora of “for sale” 24 to 49 yr old boats (self-contained pleasure craft) were built pretty darn well by reputable boat builders... especially for the first 20 +/- years (1965 - 1985) while FRP came fully into play. Back-then, most manufacturers built on over-kill status (i.e. extra thick layups and professionally cautious application of the best available materials) simply because it was unknown how well fiberglass would hold up and what the stress factors of sea-waves might do to its integrity and life-span. Well... now we know! FRP boats built really well in the early days of fiberglass are still in fine shape if owners paid a modicum of attention toward ongoing maintenance.

I too always ask “why are you selling” for any item of cost that I’m looking at with a buyers-eye. For self-contained pleasure boats what I hear most often (from private owners): “It’s more than I/we have time for now”… or… “We don’t use it that much anymore with kids grown. I just can’t see keeping it any longer. We hope it ends up in a good home”

Unfortunate for the sellers but great for the buyers… Self-contained pleasure boats (Trawlers) can usually be located for sale at reasonable prices with room for downward cost adjustment.
I keep a small runabout (22') on Tablerock Lake in Mo. My marina, one of the nicest on the lake, has begun reassembling the 50'+ docks and making them 30 and under. I see a steady population of Deck style and Wakeboard boats. Fewer and fewer cruisers.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I tried selling my 22' Four Winns last season. Nobody's interested because it doesn't have a tower.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
40% Health reasons
Pray tell, why is it so many boat owners have health problems?

You don't have to answer that. I have seen the answer myself after trying to move my 6'5" frame around in my 3'5" engine room. Any one want to buy a boat with an ER for pigmys?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Pray tell, why is it so many boat owners have health problems?

You don't have to answer that. I have seen the answer myself after trying to move my 6'5" frame around in my 3'5" engine room. Any one want to buy a boat with an ER for pigmys?
"health problems" is a catchall reason for selling that in all probability has zero to do with a large percentage of boat sales.

Saying "health problems" elicits a feel sorry thought and response, and removes the boat from the reason for selling.

The reality is most boats, and we've all seen this suffer from under use, and as a result neglect.

The problem is that it brings up the wrong mental picture. If you said "we don't use it enough, and are tired of paying the high cost to keep it" That brings up a mental picture of a neglected boat.

Say "health reasons" and you envision someone that really loves the boat but just cannot use it anymore. The mental picture is a whole lot different.

Loved boat vs unloved boat.

Everybody wants a boat that someone loved.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
"health problems" is a catchall reason for selling that in all probability has zero to do with a large percentage of boat sales.

Saying "health problems" elicits a feel sorry thought and response, and removes the boat from the reason for selling.

The reality is most boats, and we've all seen this suffer from under use, and as a result neglect.

The problem is that it brings up the wrong mental picture. If you said "we don't use it enough, and are tired of paying the high cost to keep it" That brings up a mental picture of a neglected boat.

Say "health reasons" and you envision someone that really loves the boat but just cannot use it anymore. The mental picture is a whole lot different.

Loved boat vs unloved boat.

Everybody wants a boat that someone loved.
Can't disagree w/ that reasoning at all. A well kept log of maintenance would support any reason for selling. I never leave the boat without filling in the logbook with whatever went on that day. My book has a section for maintenance.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #18
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
I found that a lot people just didn't use it anymore or they tried it and didn't like it. A few actually went out a couple times and got sh $#÷t scared out of them.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #19
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Funny thing we see quite a bit around SF and surrounding cities/towns... a lot of people simply purchase a boat cause they think they should have one... and, they then quickly get tired of it.

God knows why they do not even try to resell the boat. Too many boats sit unattended year after year. Monthly/annual cost to the foolish owners (non-users) must be a BIG PIA. Value of many an unused boat has either hit rock bottom or reached the level of "dump-it". I've spoken to marine mechanics who have told me about boats purchased brand new and used twice in its first year. Thereafter the boat sits for years not being used at all... then the owners have visitors and suddenly think they can just all a mechanic and have it placed back into service for some holiday weekend - NOT!

I will say that most boats treated this way by wannabee mariners are not anything like "Trawlers". The vast majority are 24' to 36' "tennis shoe designs" that really are quite funny to look at anyway.

There's a 32'er on our dock that was purchased new around 2004, used less than 50 hours in first two years; then let set. This past Labor Day our marina's mechanic was given less than a week to get it ready for the weekend. He told me that original carburetors are gummed up and need full rebuild, impellers are original and wasted, toilet's gaskets are dried and cracked, original batteries are wasted... just to mention the top level problems of a boat sitting still for 8 +/- years. Needless to say - the boat was not made runnable.

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
I found that a lot people just didn't use it anymore or they tried it and didn't like it. A few actually went out a couple times and got sh $#÷t scared out of them.
A guy I know did just that.

He wanted to go boating, so he bought a brand new 24' Alumanium fishing boat with twin outboards. No head, no real cabin, cost probably close to a hundred thousand dollars.

He goes out of the harbor in the afternoon as the sea breeze is blowing 15 knots or so.

Tromps it...

Hits one or two waves, and goes airborne.

Wife tells him and probably not calmly to turn around.

Boat goes up for sale.

He asked why. I told him that he bought the wrong boat. He bought a "guy" boat.

I told him for that money he should have bought a heavier boat, with a head, and a cabin, and a galley. A boat that could take the sea breeze waves with out scaring his family.

He will probably never have a boat again.