Why would I not do this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
One one hand I don’t need to fool with this but on the other it would be fun. My bride however might just kill me if I do because there are already too many boats and projects in our lives. ?
It’s an interesting story how this opportunity it came my way but I’ll get to the main point, where I’m thinking some of the wisdom here might be of help. Admittedly I’m no “Advanced search” guru here, but my few attempts at gaining helpful info didn’t render anything.
I have an acquaintance who has obtained a lifeboat from a large ship. He wanted it for a cool project, but he has no interest in keeping the 3 cylinder 27 HP Hyundai Diesel engine. I don’t currently have a need for it either, but I can get it for $1,000 so why would I not? It looks like new it would be around a $13,000 engine. It appears in pictures to be virtually new and definitely looks it. I don’t yet have a year model. There is a picture below. The nature of use tells me it probably has virtually no hours on it, likely only being run as often as safety/seamanship protocols required for maintenance and drills. It is not from a cruise ship.
The only reasons I can think of not to do it would be if
1. It’s an engine that parts would be hard to obtain in the US. Honestly I don’t recall ever even hearing of a Hyundai diesel, and certainly have never seen one.
2. Maybe something about the engines that makes them hard to work on (not likely)
3. Maybe something about the engine design that would make it unsuitable for pleasure craft use?

Thoughts are welcome. It’s not like I have either an abundance of money nor storage space, but I’m telling myself (that’s sometime dangerous) this isn’t requiring much of either!

Attachments

• B5A9E496-78D9-4806-8CE3-08CC82B9CDE3.jpg
    B5A9E496-78D9-4806-8CE3-08CC82B9CDE3.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 86
God that is a beauty engine and if I had the opportunity to get my hands on an engine like that for that cost, I would snap it up real fast.

As for storage, I would get rid of an existing coffee table that we have that I cant stand and then put the engine in its place. Then put a piece of glass over the engine and admire it just as a coffee table until I can put it to better use elsewhere :) :) :p

As for storage, I would get rid of an existing coffee table that we have that I cant stand and then put the engine in its place. Then put a piece of glass over the engine and admire it just as a coffee table until I can put it to better use elsewhere :) :) :p

This guy boats...... :socool:

���� Thank you for the reply Max1! Those are kind of my thoughts too, at least from the. “snap it up at that price” perspective. I had a reasonably successful sales career but something is telling me to not try and sell my wife on the coffee table idea. At least not from within arms length! I can’t duck as quickly as I used to could.
Hopefully I’ll get a few more similar responses which would prompt me into. Read what all these fellow boat folks say about it honey!

I wonder to what quality level they are built? Basically it's a one use motor. If specifically built for lifeboats, does it have a 500 hour design life?

Ted

That’s a great point regarding what I’m going to call “ specified longevity” maybe some others will chime in on that. Regarding a “one use motor”, do you mean it couldn’t be adapted to pleasure craft use? I should also share that I can have the entire system if I want. Everything but the prop.

I am NO expert on engines or that one in particular. But I did spend a little bit of time looking into them. I briefly considered having a Helmsman 31 built, and while one can spec any engine that reasonably fits, that brand is their standard for that model, and so I looked into it a bit before moving on to a larger boat to explore more.

What I found:

While introduced into the US, the dealer and parts network is there but isn't extensive. Apparently the largest distributor is in the PNW (Seattle?) area. Given all the chat about the inability to get parts for the more widely used Volvo line, I'm not sure at all whether this is better or worse than them.

They are known for being compact and reliable. Apparently they are being widely adopted for the various service boats (water taxi, etc.) in Venice.

Because they are an unfamiliar name in the US market, folks shy away. But apparently for no other reason than that. I guess more would give them a harder look if they were adopted for some product line that created familiarity.

Bottom line, is they are not used because no one else uses them first.

I would Google the make and model number. You may find the motor mass produced for a non marine application such as a generator, pump motor, or other use such as in agriculture.

If it's only application is lifeboats, I would be less interested. The other consideration is how smooth running a motor it is. Most people in lifeboats don't complain about the noise, vibration, or anything else with regard to a motor that is currently saving their life.

Ted

Is the engine running?
Can you get the gear box too? An engine without a transmission is just an engine and but, it would have greater application with the transmission.
Pickle the engine and gear box....
When the dust settles and he sort of forgets, contact the nearest dealer and see if he would be interested.
If they are used in the water taxi industry, there is another opportunity.
Of course, if you are a super nice guy and great friend, you might consider splitting the profits with him SMILE
Why you buy it, all the liabilities are on your shoulders. It might take you a year to sell it so you have your capital tied up for a year.....

Do you have a prospective customer? Are you in the business of selling Hyundai Diesel parts? Then why? It's an overgrown paperweight or anchor until you have a use.

Hyundai has made hundreds of thousands of diesels although few that small perhaps. They put diesels in cars in most of the world, just not the US. Currently four cars with diesels but dozens of trucks. They are about to discontinue auto diesels while focusing on electric. They still sell parts for the diesels they've made.

Do you have anything unique? Don't think so. Do you have any pending sale? Nope. If you diligently sold parts on ebay for the next 10 years you might turn your $1000 into $2000. Or into $500. But is it worth all that effort with something you know nothing about. Nothing unique about the engine except how you found it.

A diesel that size would make a good standby generator power plant.
Doing that would require some fabricating skills but nothing really difficult.

I would tell your acquaintance you'll store it for free. It will wind up being yours...

Last edited:
it's a cute little engine, that's for sure. the horsepower seems about right for a lifeboat. one more consideration would be the exhaust. it looks like a dry exhaust from here. the header tank is there so you know it's got coolant instead of raw water, but i don't see any sign of a raw water pump or exhaust elbow. can't see the other side of the engine, but it looks like the exhaust has heat wrap on it.

Why does he want to remove it?
How long is the life boat?
Perhaps you can find a pic of the life boat?
Maybe he should keep the engine installed and concentrate on the ER sound isolation ??

I have a picture of the lifeboat so I’m posting here. It’s 24 ft long. He’s considering turning it into a treehouse/play area for grandkids so he has no need for moving parts, but would keep the prop so it still looks like what it is. It’s 24 ft long.

Attachments

• 4CD3C0E2-E83F-4BA1-A9C8-A2859BE1502C.jpg
    4CD3C0E2-E83F-4BA1-A9C8-A2859BE1502C.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 24
I have a picture of the lifeboat so I’m posting here. It’s 24 ft long. He’s considering turning it into a treehouse/play area for grandkids so he has no need for moving parts, but would keep the prop so it still looks like what it is. It’s 24 ft long.

Wifey B: Grandkids get older, he'll wish he had it back. What a cute little boat. :D

Time to play “flip this engine” instead of “flip this house”. Sounds like a decent opportunity to make a bit of $. I wouldn’t even attemp to put it to use. Find someone to buy it, even if you sit on it for a year. Better than the stock market if you just sell it for $5K in a year.

Sell it to the 'local' dealer then he can sell it for either lightly used or disassemble it for parts.

Like the life boat.
I'd keep the engine and use it as a teaching tool for the kids. Of course, after 'class', disable the engine so the kids dont steal the boat. LOL

Last edited:
About right horsepower for a 8 KW generator isn't it?

he would be better off keep the boat intact. Kids are only "tree house age" for 8 or 9 years.....then he can sell it as an intact life boat.

If your plan was to sell it, you could see what the market is and what kind of prices for similar engines. Call a few of them and see how long they've been trying to sell it. Folks here always talk about the American Diesel website, perhaps they have a "for sale" section ?

If your plan is to sit on it until a need arises, I think that's pretty unlikely and if your spouse has already indicated it's not a good idea, the cost may be greater than the price.

A diesel that size would make a good standby generator power plant.
Doing that would require some fabricating skills but nothing really difficult.

I would tell your acquaintance you'll store it for free. It will wind up being yours...
That is what I was thinking too. :socool:

Many lifeboat engines have spring starters , so the boat might not require an electrical system.

It maybe too late to ask this question but,
When was it last run?

I have seen these mounted on freighters. They are designed to slide almost vertically from their ramp. Everyone wears PDF and helmet, strapped in security. I think that would be one carnival ride to remember LOL

It would make a good wing engine for a 'get you home' situation on a single engine trawler.

What is the manufacture of the engine on your Northern Lights generator?

I have seen these mounted on freighters. They are designed to slide almost vertically from their ramp. Everyone wears PDF and helmet, strapped in security. I think that would be one Carnival ride to remember LOL
That`s what I was reminded of by the pic. All good as long as it`s not attached to a Carnival cruise ship.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom