Why is the trawler tilting ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A trawler I’m about to buy is tilting to its starboarded side . The broker told me it’s because the fuel tank in the starboard side might not be full as the port side. Does it make sense? It sounded weird to me, but I’m not an expert in boats…any reason why it’s tilting?

Yes, or water tanks, or tools, or food stores...etc...etc.....

Thank you. So if more people will stand on one side, then the other, then the boat will tilt ? I would assume it will be more noticeable in smaller boats…does it matter when you cruise so much to make always sure all tanks are the same ?

Yes.... people will make trawlers tilt (proper term is list) even up to the 40 foot range...but total displacement matters as well as hull shape.

Yes, you have to consider loading underway or at the dock.....

Yes water, fuel, tools and people I tell the wife to stay in the middle of the boat so she leaves me alone :)

If the starboard tank is not as full as the port tank, then it would list towards the port side. It also depends on just how severe of a list we are talking about. If you're talking about a 2-3 degree list then probably not a big deal. If you're talking about a 10 degree list then something is wrong here.

Lots of ways...any Velez or phone app with degree marks....

Based on your other post concerning the trawler for $70,000.....

....and this set of questions.....you may be in over your head with a 42 foot trawler of questionable repair. How sure are you about this whole thing?

If you do proceed with this boat, make sure to get a good survey. If it is just fuel, there may be a cross connect between the tanks that will let them equalize the fuel levels. Something to consider doing before the survey and sea trial.

You've got to think the seller and his broker are presenting the boat in the best possible light. If a list was as simple as balancing the fuel tanks or moving a tool box they would have done that already to make the boat more presentable. I would be inclined to tell the selling broker if its a simple fix, then take care of it and call me when its done.

You've got to think the seller and his broker are presenting the boat in the best possible light. If a list was as simple as balancing the fuel tanks or moving a tool box they would have done that already to make the boat more presentable. I would be inclined to tell the selling broker if its a simple fix, then take care of it and call me when its done.

Some of the laziest people I have met are boat brokers. A simple wash or wipe down, a dusting, could mean money, making commission. Do they do these simple things... no many brokers do not. They should take a cue from successful real estate agents.

Some of the laziest people I have met are boat brokers. A simple wash or wipe down, a dusting, could mean money, making commission. Do they do these simple things... no many brokers do not. They should take a cue from successful real estate agents.

I have noticed on Yachtworld that brokers will post blurry pictures, and I think to myself that for what the commission is going to be, it should be worth the time required to take and post decent pictures. If I was an owner checking out my own boat on Yachtworld and saw blurry pictures I would be pissed!!

A trawler I’m about to buy is tilting to its starboarded side . The broker told me it’s because the fuel tank in the starboard side might not be full as the port side. Does it make sense? It sounded weird to me, but I’m not an expert in boats…any reason why it’s tilting?

Can the OP post a picture of this list?

Thank you. What other reasons can cause the boat to list?

A heavy battery bank on one side could cause listing as could a generator on one side.
My guess is more fuel on the low side.

Agree with KnotYet above. However if not fuel, or batteries, the list may be a result of too much poorly thought out DIY work. Sometimes people tear out something and replace it with something else, without taking into account that (for example), replacing a couch with a full up bar with tile inlay top etc will end up in a net gain of many lbs of weight at that location.

I've also seen one boat that had a substantial list to starboard, resulting in a constant battle with selecting fuel tanks to burn out of and water tanks to use water out of to keep the boat in trim. Some cursory investigation revealed that the boat used several thousand lbs of lead ingots for ballast, and at some point in it's history, prior to the current owner owning it, someone moved a bunch of the ingots from the port side, down near the center line of the boat, to the starboard side, about 5 feet from the center line. :facepalm: Careful redistribution of about 1500 lbs brought the boat into almost perfect trim, once the fuel and water tanks were equalized that is. The current owner had lived with the situation for almost 8 years when we found the issue!:eek:

Some boats list more readily than others. A narrow boat with a rounded hull shape (like a canoe) will list with a relatively small imbalance, whereas a wide hard chined boat (shaped more like a box) will require a big imbalance to make the boat list noticeably.
btw - This doesn't mean that wide and boxy is a good thing.

Hey there NA52, how about telling us a bit about yourself and how someone who is apparently completely ignorant of something as basis as a list on a boat is buying a trawler. Tell us about this boat too.

It also never fails to amaze me on how dirty and cluttered boats for sale are. Don’t the broker tell the sellers to at least clean the boat up before it goes on the market? We always remove everything that doesn’t go with the boat and then clean the boat up because I want to to show well so it will sell for a higher price.

The ones that drive me crazy are the pictures that are turned sideways. For God's sake! Get your 10-year-old nephew to show you how to turn the pictures right-side-up!

To the OP, once again, no offense, but you are pretty obviously not ready to buy a boat like this. You have a whole lot of learning to do. You can spend a whole lot of money learning those lessons, or you can spend some time BEFORE you spend the money. It's up to you.

The ones that drive me crazy are the pictures that are turned sideways. For God's sake! Get your 10-year-old nephew to show you how to turn the pictures right-side-up!

To the OP, once again, no offense, but you are pretty obviously not ready to buy a boat like this. You have a whole lot of learning to do. You can spend a whole lot of money learning those lessons, or you can spend some time BEFORE you spend the money. It's up to you.
+1 :thumb:

Not meant in a harsh way, but in what I hope is a helpful way, but I agree with denverdOn.

Thank you. What other reasons can cause the boat to list?

Mine has been because of fuel or water or generators of different weight or stores. The list goes on. Think of anything that could shift weight from one side of the boat to another. Remember that weight can shift under way. Fuel usage is an obvious one but don't forget about fuel return. Mine returns much more fuel than it uses and can easily transfer a whole 2500l tank in a day's trip if I get the valving wrong or don't alternate tanks

I've had up to 7° list and that's VERY noticeable. Now I keep a small 3" spirt level sitting at the helm and stay with in half a bubble. It's much easier to do small corrections frequently than gross corrections every few days.

Cheers

PS:. Has any load shifted within the vessel? I had a heap of junk tied down in my cockpit heading into my current haulout. Underway some of it moved and that caused a list for the rest of the journey.

Mine lists slightly. It is the batteries and tool box.

pete

Seems like a reasonable question to me. We all started out with minimal boat knowledge and build from there. I learn something new every day. The people who never ask questions, and think they have it all figured out are the dangerous ones.

The builder of our boat (ex Nuclear Navy Officer) doesn’t want a cross over on the fuel tanks. Our boat would also list to either side, buts it’s easy enough to swap the fuel supply and return lines as needed to keep her level.

As others have said, when you add gear, equipment, and stowage that could also do it.

We don’t know the particulars of the boat in question, so keep doing your due diligence to verify.

The OP hasn't said anything about the particular boat he is trying to buy or anything about his experience. My boat is not a trawler, but it says right on the owner's manual "Mainship Trawlers". I know this is a pretty basic question, but give him a break before judging too harshly. We don't know what his plans are for this boat, so learning could be part of his plan.

The OP hasn't said anything about the particular boat he is trying to buy or anything about his experience. My boat is not a trawler, but it says right on the owner's manual "Mainship Trawlers". I know this is a pretty basic question, but give him a break before judging too harshly. We don't know what his plans are for this boat, so learning could be part of his plan.

I would bet my professional teaching reputation on this question and using the word tilting and not listing.

Harsh words would be wrong but serious doubt that this person should be running a 42 foot trawler isn't all that far fetched.

Last edited:
I may have missed it, but did he say 42'? Regardless, nobody should be saying that he should not buy the boat without more info on his plans.

Why not?

You think people can't have enough professional expertise to give that opinion?

I don't do it lightly but there are some dead giveaways that signal it loud and clear if you have been around boats, water, boaters, training and rescues long enough.

Some here might have more accurate diagnosis of amateur boaters than some psychologists have to put a person in a rubber room.

I don't think the OP is a bad person, an idiot, an incompetent boater at the level he might be...I just think based on the question and the most basic error in terminology might suggest get more experience before jumping in and operating a 42 foot trawler.

If fully committed to giving good advice here...the big picture is necessary...

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/need-advice-regarding-trawler-please-58753.html#post1018221

Last edited:
Mine will list slightly to starboard when fully fueled like an inch at the swim step so i burn off the starboard tank for a bit. I also keep this in mind when installing anything on the boat and storing any spare parts. Everything goes on the port side.
As for the ops original question the only thing that makes a boat list, while not moving,is weight whether it be stored as in water,fuel and storage tanks or design and add ons by someone not trying to balance the center line of the boat. You didnt say how bad but if it was significant it would effect the handling.

Every time I approach the boat (it is always from the stern), I notice any lean. If noticed, I'll switch from one of the tanks on the lower side to one on the upper side.

Attachments

• Pittsburg also.jpg
    Pittsburg also.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom