Old 07-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #1

City: Bc
Why is the trawler tilting ???

A trawler I’m about to buy is tilting to its starboarded side . The broker told me it’s because the fuel tank in the starboard side might not be full as the port side. Does it make sense? It sounded weird to me, but I’m not an expert in boats…any reason why it’s tilting?
Newadventure52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Yes, or water tanks, or tools, or food stores...etc...etc.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #3

Thank you. So if more people will stand on one side, then the other, then the boat will tilt ? I would assume it will be more noticeable in smaller boats…does it matter when you cruise so much to make always sure all tanks are the same ?
Old 07-05-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
Guru

Yes.... people will make trawlers tilt (proper term is list) even up to the 40 foot range...but total displacement matters as well as hull shape.

Yes, you have to consider loading underway or at the dock.....
Old 07-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #5
Swa

City: Tampa
Yes water, fuel, tools and people I tell the wife to stay in the middle of the boat so she leaves me alone :-)
Swa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #6
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
If the starboard tank is not as full as the port tank, then it would list towards the port side. It also depends on just how severe of a list we are talking about. If you're talking about a 2-3 degree list then probably not a big deal. If you're talking about a 10 degree list then something is wrong here.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:26 PM   #7

Thank you all, how can I measure the listing degree?
Old 07-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #8
Guru

Lots of ways...any Velez or phone app with degree marks....

Based on your other post concerning the trawler for $70,000.....

....and this set of questions.....you may be in over your head with a 42 foot trawler of questionable repair. How sure are you about this whole thing?
Old 07-05-2021, 03:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
If you do proceed with this boat, make sure to get a good survey. If it is just fuel, there may be a cross connect between the tanks that will let them equalize the fuel levels. Something to consider doing before the survey and sea trial.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:00 PM   #10
Guru

City: Boston Area
You've got to think the seller and his broker are presenting the boat in the best possible light. If a list was as simple as balancing the fuel tanks or moving a tool box they would have done that already to make the boat more presentable. I would be inclined to tell the selling broker if its a simple fix, then take care of it and call me when its done.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #11

Thank you. What other reasons can cause the boat to list?
Old 07-05-2021, 06:20 PM   #12
Guru

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
You've got to think the seller and his broker are presenting the boat in the best possible light. If a list was as simple as balancing the fuel tanks or moving a tool box they would have done that already to make the boat more presentable. I would be inclined to tell the selling broker if its a simple fix, then take care of it and call me when its done.

Some of the laziest people I have met are boat brokers. A simple wash or wipe down, a dusting, could mean money, making commission. Do they do these simple things... no many brokers do not. They should take a cue from successful real estate agents.
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #13
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newadventure52 View Post
A heavy battery bank on one side could cause listing as could a generator on one side.
My guess is more fuel on the low side.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:06 PM   #14
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTurner View Post
Some of the laziest people I have met are boat brokers. A simple wash or wipe down, a dusting, could mean money, making commission. Do they do these simple things... no many brokers do not. They should take a cue from successful real estate agents.
I have noticed on Yachtworld that brokers will post blurry pictures, and I think to myself that for what the commission is going to be, it should be worth the time required to take and post decent pictures. If I was an owner checking out my own boat on Yachtworld and saw blurry pictures I would be pissed!!
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:12 PM   #15
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
A trawler I’m about to buy is tilting to its starboarded side . The broker told me it’s because the fuel tank in the starboard side might not be full as the port side. Does it make sense? It sounded weird to me, but I’m not an expert in boats…any reason why it’s tilting?
Can the OP post a picture of this list?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:41 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotYet View Post
A heavy battery bank on one side could cause listing as could a generator on one side.
My guess is more fuel on the low side.
Agree with KnotYet above. However if not fuel, or batteries, the list may be a result of too much poorly thought out DIY work. Sometimes people tear out something and replace it with something else, without taking into account that (for example), replacing a couch with a full up bar with tile inlay top etc will end up in a net gain of many lbs of weight at that location.

I've also seen one boat that had a substantial list to starboard, resulting in a constant battle with selecting fuel tanks to burn out of and water tanks to use water out of to keep the boat in trim. Some cursory investigation revealed that the boat used several thousand lbs of lead ingots for ballast, and at some point in it's history, prior to the current owner owning it, someone moved a bunch of the ingots from the port side, down near the center line of the boat, to the starboard side, about 5 feet from the center line. Careful redistribution of about 1500 lbs brought the boat into almost perfect trim, once the fuel and water tanks were equalized that is. The current owner had lived with the situation for almost 8 years when we found the issue!
Old 07-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #17
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Some boats list more readily than others. A narrow boat with a rounded hull shape (like a canoe) will list with a relatively small imbalance, whereas a wide hard chined boat (shaped more like a box) will require a big imbalance to make the boat list noticeably.
btw - This doesn't mean that wide and boxy is a good thing.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:10 PM   #18
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Hey there NA52, how about telling us a bit about yourself and how someone who is apparently completely ignorant of something as basis as a list on a boat is buying a trawler. Tell us about this boat too.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:34 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It also never fails to amaze me on how dirty and cluttered boats for sale are. Don’t the broker tell the sellers to at least clean the boat up before it goes on the market? We always remove everything that doesn’t go with the boat and then clean the boat up because I want to to show well so it will sell for a higher price.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #20
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
The ones that drive me crazy are the pictures that are turned sideways. For God's sake! Get your 10-year-old nephew to show you how to turn the pictures right-side-up!

To the OP, once again, no offense, but you are pretty obviously not ready to buy a boat like this. You have a whole lot of learning to do. You can spend a whole lot of money learning those lessons, or you can spend some time BEFORE you spend the money. It's up to you.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote