Why is the trawler tilting ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The OP has posted several questions on this and other forums. That in and of itself is not a bad thing :)
From reading and replying to most of these posts, it is apparent that the OP is thinking very, very seriously about buying the boat in questions. A 1970 42" trawler that has not been upgraded at all (all original). The seller and his broker are not forthcoming with much info, are trying to pressure the OP into buying the boat without a survey, are priced high for most boats that old, etc. The OP also admits that he is "inexperienced", again not a bad thing.
The advice given to "not buy this boat" under these circumstances is sound in my opinion, and is actually helpful and not hurtful in anyway. :)

The OP has posted several questions on this and other forums. That in and of itself is not a bad thing :)
From reading and replying to most of these posts, it is apparent that the OP is thinking very, very seriously about buying the boat in questions. A 1970 42" trawler that has not been upgraded at all (all original). The seller and his broker are not forthcoming with much info, are trying to pressure the OP into buying the boat without a survey, are priced high for most boats that old, etc. The OP also admits that he is "inexperienced", again not a bad thing.
The advice given to "not buy this boat" under these circumstances is sound in my opinion, and is actually helpful and not hurtful in anyway. :)

I was not aware of the other posts so I now see your point and agree. I was only going by the limited info that was in this thread. All good, thanks.

Most especially if you have read his other posts here, and in other forums.

Anyone with a FULL lifetime of boating quickly picks out others experience levels in just a few minutes of conversation. Not 100% accurate but for most.....

You see it at liveaboard marinas where many are avid cruisers and have been around the block and the newcomers that ask questions that many have forgotten to even worry about.

It's not right or wrong....but for people that have been "watermen" their whole lives....they would stick out on many other types of forums because their life is all about the water.

That's why I am mostly here and occasionally on a RV forum as I drift into that. I try to offer help on that forum where I know something for sure (pretty limited) and posting contrary to people who have been fulltiming for many decades to me sets off alarm bells to wait and see.

I don't think general boating is as dangerous and some here post...but there are a few things that stick out as courses of action that I feel are overstepping ones ability and feel pretty confident to say so.

The average recreational boater may also see the same and voice their opinion...or they take the other tack and blindly say follow one's dream.

You see the same on medical forums when people suggest old wives tales or unproven medical treatments. yes, a longshot that sometimes works.... but just how many more experienced opinions will one ignore listening to the "go for it" advice?

All experienced boaters had to start somewhere. I didn't know all the history of this person so I thought it was a little harsh to say that he shouldn't buy a boat because he asked a simple question. I didn't know how to ride a motorcycle till I bought one and taught myself and learned from others. If I never made the purchase, I still wouldn't know how.

You are exactly the type of "go for it" responders without NEAR the experience to give it. Simple question? What would you say to a kid that says why do I have to check the engine oil in my car when the little red light comes on? Why can't I keep driving? Well, I lost $10,000 to a stepson who wondered the same. Not having the basics and jumping in with 2 feet is a recipe for disaster....not always...but as a rescue guy who wants to see more.

While fooling around on motorcycles, some of us were messing around in boats small enough to prepare us for the big ones and learning simple terms like listing very early on.

All boaters didn't start out with 42 foot trawlers. Many of us had decades on boats less than 20 feet. Then decades more on 20-40 feet. Plus countless hours of learning, instruction, guidance, etc...etc...

Buying a bigger boat isn't just about handling it, it's knowing all the issues with insurance, maintenance, cruising it (if not cruising it, why own a 42 footer with associated expenses?), etc....etc.... otherwise it become a mental and financial burden that often goes sideways.

Your signature discusses learning things from others??????????

Last edited:
As this all sounds new to you. I would request the owner to show you the boat in proper trim. There might be a more serious problem causing the list.

You are exactly the type of "go for it" responders without NEAR the experience to give it. Simple question? What would you say to a kid that says why do I have to check the engine oil in my car when the little red light comes on? Why can't I keep driving? Well, I lost $10,000 to a stepson who wondered the same. Not having the basics and jumping in with 2 feet is a recipe for disaster....not always...but as a rescue guy who wants to see more.

While fooling around on motorcycles, some of us were messing around in boats small enough to prepare us for the big ones and learning simple terms like listing very early on.

All boaters didn't start out with 42 foot trawlers. Many of us had decades on boats less than 20 feet. Then decades more on 20-40 feet. Plus countless hours of learning, instruction, guidance, etc...etc...

Buying a bigger boat isn't just about handling it, it's knowing all the issues with insurance, maintenance, cruising it (if not cruising it, why own a 42 footer with associated expenses?), etc....etc.... otherwise it become a mental and financial burden that often goes sideways.

Your signature discusses learning things from others??????????

Like I said, I didn't have all the information and didn't realize he was planning to buy and old 42' boat in questionable repair. Knowing that now, I agree it's a poor decision.

All of these comments are pretty much blowing in the wind unless the OP decides to provide some additional information, like pics of the list . . errr, "tilt", the for sale ad, or at least year, make, and model of the boat. Any trouble shooting beyond what has already been suggested is pretty much pointless.

The broker told me it’s because the fuel tank in the starboard side might not be full as the port side. Does it make sense?

It is easy enough to check the the fuel level in each tank as they are normally equipped with sight-tubes.

If there is a big difference it could cause the list. If not, then the broker is wrong and something else is causing this.

Last edited:
My boat has the water tank to starboard and the holding tank to port. Neither are huge but depending on fullness of one or the other, it can produce a slight list. My 2 fuel tanks, 1 on each side, are tee'd together and mostly self-level.

A trawler I’m about to buy is tilting to its starboarded side . The broker told me it’s because the fuel tank in the starboard side might not be full as the port side. Does it make sense? It sounded weird to me, but I’m not an expert in boats…any reason why it’s tilting?

8 posts on July 5th and nothing since. Did you but the boat? Perhaps all the comments scared you off the forum, too bad.

8 posts on July 5th and nothing since. Did you but the boat? Perhaps all the comments scared you off the forum, too bad.
Yes, it looks like Mr Lifetime Waterman drove him off. There are a few like that on every forum. I'm sure he knows a lot about a small slice of boating, but what does he say to someone who thinks of boats in the range of 36 to 42 feet as "small boats"?

Nobody knows anything about the OP, so why assume anything? Maybe he has spent his life driving heavy equipment, RVing on weekends, and is a licensed pilot. I'd trust someone like that to come up really quick on boating. Or maybe he has spent his life at a desk, dreaming of having a nice boat and is finally taking that step? Why rain on his parade? Why not help him? Telling him to go back to his desk isn't helping him. Or maybe he's a sailor and doesn't know much about trawlers. Most sailors don't talk much about listing unless it is pretty bad because those boats are always tipping and listing and such - I've sailed quite a few, big and small. Perhaps he asked what are all the reasons a trawler might list because he wants to catch out the dealer who could be trying to defraud him by not telling him about something major. You don't know, so don't assume. It really does not make you look very smart when you do.

It would be too bad if the comments scared him off the forum. It would not be too bad if the comments scared him into slowing down a little, learning a bit more, and not rushing into an ill-conceived purchase.

As I said before, if you have read all of his posts, in all of the different threads, and in other forums, then you get a very clear picture of someone rushing into a purchase that they are really not prepared for.

Denver, I don't disagree, though the OP was not asking advice on the purchase, he was asking why the boat was listing and was told he has no business purchasing it, so I wouldn't blame him if he had no interest in this tread anymore. Sure the purchase may be a big mistake, but maybe also a learning opportunity.

As I said before, if you have read all of his posts, in all of the different threads, and in other forums, then you get a very clear picture of someone rushing into a purchase that they are really not prepared for.
Yes I saw you say that before. A new member with a total post count of 8 that joined the forum May 2020 is rushing into it? Over a year ago they were asking for help never having boated before. It was the wife asking for help.
I think you have the wrong party in mind.
I hope they return under a new name.

This was shared on CF.... apparently from the same OP. Pretty sure 55g can tilt a boat.

Newbie here. Well, I bought that 1970 in "original condition" 42' trawler. Found about 55 gallons of the original diesel in the place where the motors are. I'm not sure what you call that. So, is it normal to have that much diesel sloshing around and can I just put it back in the tank with a bucket?

The guy (who used to keep his boat next to me, until he moved it to another dock) told me that the original fuel tanks need to be replaced. He said, I need to cut open the floor in the living room (not sure that's what he called it) to remove them. Well, I don't want to cut up the floor. Instead, do you think I can just cut an opening in the bottom of the boat and remove the tanks that way? I'm trying to save the wood floor.

The guy, who said that the fuel tanks need to be replaced, also said that my stringers are broken, whatever than means. Does West Marine sell stringers? Do they come on rolls like other string? How much do you think I need?

I've been watching all these people on youtube cruising around the world and it's exciting to know that I'll be one of them in about a month. Has anyone here ever cruised from Miami to Tonga? When leaving Miami, do I turn right, left, go straight or because I'm a newbie, should I just hug the coast all the way until I get there? Thanks for all your help"

I think we have been trolled ...

Too bad the guy that posted the "joke" was not the original poster.

Last edited:
I think you have the wrong party in mind.
No. I don't have the wrong party. He made numerous postings on another forum, before he started posting here.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he was (possibly still is) rushing into this purchase with little understanding of what he was getting into.

I wish him only the best. I hope he continues to participate. I hope he buys a boat eventually. I hope he slows down a little, and takes the time to educate himself, though, before he blows a lot of money on something that he is not ready for.

I don't think it was a lot of money, but probably more boat than he could handle. I still think we should all move on. He's no longer participating and wasn't really asking our opinions anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom