Old 07-12-2016, 05:49 AM   #61
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
some of you are just not getting the point. its not marketing.

its a simple fact that few people with the money to buy a several hundred thousand dollar boat have te time or desire to go at fd speeds.

thats because they are busy making a living. for most money comes from long hours in an office. prespective boat buyers want to be able to get somewhere, enjoy their time off and get back in a reasonable amount of time.

no amount of marketing will convince people of anything else.

ever wonder why FD boats are not being manufacturered... thats because the public does not want them.

the only exception is the expedition yacht crown, but they are mostly retired.
Kevin, I understand your point. The problem with your theory is that just because it isn't made, doesn't mean a segment of the market doesn't want it. If nobody wanted them, then there wouldn't be thousands of them being used by non retired people and they would have no value on the used market, which is clearly not the case. How do you explain used displacement hull boat pricing if nobody wants to go slow?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:54 AM   #62
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
People that buy sail boats want to sail, so they buy a sail boat. They may not actually sail, but nobody dreams of buying a sail boat to drive it around under power. They buy the sail boat with the dream of sailing.

My thought is not particularly relevant to the Coot discussion, but I think I'd also add that I suspect a large percentage of the sailing population thinks sailing is so much less expensive than powerboating... that their congenital frugality (IOW, a personality trait) leads them that way... whether economically true or not. (Sometimes, sometimes not.)

Not meant as a pejorative comment, just an observation...

-Chris
Old 07-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Kevin, I understand your point. The problem with your theory is that just because it isn't made, doesn't mean a segment of the market doesn't want it. If nobody wanted them, then there wouldn't be thousands of them being used by non retired people and they would have no value on the used market, which is clearly not the case. How do you explain used displacement hull boat pricing if nobody wants to go slow?

Ted
They used to be made, but they didn't sell, so manufactures quit making them. there was a brief period in history when they did sell very well, but that's when gas prices were very very high. that's why you see so many boats out there that have no capability for speed built in the 1970s, through the early 80's.

When peoples wants changed, manufactures either put bigger engines in or discontinued models completely.

The reason they're still selling today on the used market is because they represent a great value. for not a lot of money you can get an awful lot of boat, especially when compared to what that same $50,000 will buy a trailer boat.

We have to remember that here at TF many of us really like slow boats ponder why were attracted to trawler forum to begin with. but that doesn't mean the general public likes him, or that they would sell in any quantity.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #64
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Some random thoughts on the Coot

Would you really want to see Coots as common as some of the more popular brands?

Most of us like go slow boats but 6 knots??? Methinks 8 knots cruising is what most of us expect out of a 35' trawler.

Most steel boats have a draft of 6-12" more than a comparable size glass boat and for a 35' boat, I would expect a draft of 3' 6" or less. The Coot is almost 4'.

If you bump your head or your sides on glass or wood, it hurts. If you bump them on steel, it REALLY hurts.

Does the Coot come with users manuals and other documentation or is it like the Taiwanese Tubs of lore?

To me, the Coot's main competition is the Nordic Tug 34' and the American Tug 365. Almost certainly, the price of a new Coot is favorable compared to these American made tugs. But the ability to go 15 knots when and if you have to is compelling. If I were a buyer of a new boat in this class, my choice would the AT.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #65
Scraping Paint

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Dancing Angels
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 400DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Sea Rays. ..

While I am in the minority here. My Sea Ray has gone from San Francisco to Cabo San Lucas and now as far North as Campbell River BC. Next year we will aim for Alaska. All on a plastic boat.

Be careful slinging insults when you only spend your time on the SF Bay and Delta. We live in Sacramento. I know the Delta and Bay very well. My boat spent 4 years in those waters. After one or two years it all looks the same and is pretty boring whether at 6 knots or 24 knots.

I would suggest you head out the gate, turn left or right and go somewhere. I have.
SR400DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #66
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR400DB View Post
While I am in the minority here. My Sea Ray has gone from San Francisco to Cabo San Lucas and now as far North as Campbell River BC. Next year we will aim for Alaska. All on a plastic boat.

Be careful slinging insults when you only spend your time on the SF Bay and Delta. We live in Sacramento. I know the Delta and Bay very well. My boat spent 4 years in those waters. After one or two years it all looks the same and is pretty boring whether at 6 knots or 24 knots.

I would suggest you head out the gate, turn left or right and go somewhere. I have.
Game. Set. Match.

We have a lot of faster boats here as well because you have to go 50 miles down Douglas Channel to make a turn onto the Inside Passage, or about 30 miles to get to the better fishing areas. People prefer to get there quick, either because fishing is their reason to be out there, or they have jobs to get back to and want to maximize their time at their preferred anchorages.

We chose a 7 knot boat because it's fast compared to the sea kayaking world we came from and it will be our "base camp to adventure" in retirement.

I do get a chuckle however, when the big boys who pass us on the way back are at the fuel dock, and we get to slip back into our berth with lots of fuel left over.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:

Don't worry, I own a Bayliner, and there are several Searay owners here. You are in good company.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #68
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post

Does the Coot come with users manuals and other documentation or is it like the Taiwanese Tubs of lore? ...
The Coot came with manuals for its components such as engine as well as drawing of the boat and schematics of the boat, but no overall manual of the boat.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #69
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
As a teenager, I always got seasick participating in the sailboat races to the lightship and back. Now I turn left or right on a ship where I don't have that problem.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #70
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:

You're not as much in the minority here as you might think and in the world at large you are in the, perhaps not majority, but certainly plurality. We all need to be careful of two things. First is losing sight that there is a huge world of boating far outside our normal boating. Second, that there are some very happy boaters whose boats and types of boating are very much in the minority. There's a place for all.

I love all types of boats, but when it comes to owning, there are some I just have no interest in. I respect Nordhavn, but they hold no ownership attraction to me. Neither does a 300' yacht, even though I could never afford it anyway. An 80' boat that goes 60 knots does, but only for short spells, not enough to push me into buying one. I love bowriders for lakes but not for my current boating. We forget sometimes that there are far more outboards sold than inboards.

A couple of numbers just for the US.

Sales of boats in the US in 2015.

64.777 total boats
42,552 outboards
11,585 sterndrives
8,250 inboards
2,410 jets

Total $ sold $3.4 billion

The largest selling brand in the US?

Drum roll please....Tracker....

Largest selling sterndrive....Chaparral.

Largest boat manufacturer in $ of sales...Brunswick Boat Sales of $1.274 billion.

Largest selling yachts...Westport

Largest selling jet boats...Yamaha

So, it doesn't matter what any of us own, we're a small part of the world of boats.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote