Why so cheap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ritchard

Hi all,

I am a broker in the Caribbean who sells mostly catamarans. I am trying to educate myself in the world of trawlers - I know nearly nothing. My first question, coming from pretty spendy multihull sailing vessels, why are all these 80's/early 90's trawlers so seemingly cheap? Are they junk? At end of life? Out of fashion? It looks like there's dozens of sub 100K >40 ft trawlers for sale all over the US that would all make fine long-term liveaboard boats.

Now it seems the affordable trawlers all originate in Taiwan; is there a hierarchy of manufacturers with respect to quality and value?

How about seaworthiness? Do these 44-49 footers rate as seaworthy for multi-day passages (picking your weather of course)?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Yes there are a lot of them out there. No they aren’t all junk, some are some are not. As to manufacturers for quantity, at this age individual condition of the boat if far more important than the original manufacturer.

Hi all,

I am a broker in the Caribbean who sells mostly catamarans. I am trying to educate myself in the world of trawlers - I know nearly nothing. My first question, coming from pretty spendy multihull sailing vessels, why are all these 80's/early 90's trawlers so seemingly cheap? Are they junk? At end of life? Out of fashion? It looks like there's dozens of sub 100K >40 ft trawlers for sale all over the US that would all make fine long-term liveaboard boats.

Now it seems the affordable trawlers all originate in Taiwan; is there a hierarchy of manufacturers with respect to quality and value?

How about seaworthiness? Do these 44-49 footers rate as seaworthy for multi-day passages (picking your weather of course)?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Are you looking to sell them or looking for one for your own use? I ask as you started this threat with "I am a broker" and the other thread with "Catamaran sailor considering a change."

In answer to your questions, all the above is true. Some are junk, end of life, our of fashion, some buyers are hesitant. That doesn't mean there are not some finds. However, most of that age do require a lot of work. Buy a $75k trawler and you may spend $25-100k on upgrades before using it.

Also, two other factors depress that market, the difficulty of financing and the difficulty of insuring. 30 years old is a cutoff with some financing and insurance and 40 years is with others. Now, most can be insured, but that search is more difficult.

Are they seaworthy? Some are and some are not. This one is definitely seaworthy.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s36/where-dauntless-now-62083.html

Out of curiosity, I ask why are you looking at trawlers vs. power catamarans?

I would say all the above you stated in post #1....the reason they are cheap is people that know them well pay rock bottom for them...those enamored by their "salty looks" or find a well cared for, better built one, pay way more.

Are you looking to sell them or looking for one for your own use? I ask as you started this threat with "I am a broker" and the other thread with "Catamaran sailor considering a change."

In answer to your questions, all the above is true. Some are junk, end of life, our of fashion, some buyers are hesitant. That doesn't mean there are not some finds. However, most of that age do require a lot of work. Buy a $75k trawler and you may spend $25-100k on upgrades before using it.

Also, two other factors depress that market, the difficulty of financing and the difficulty of insuring. 30 years old is a cutoff with some financing and insurance and 40 years is with others. Now, most can be insured, but that search is more difficult.

Are they seaworthy? Some are and some are not. This one is definitely seaworthy.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s36/where-dauntless-now-62083.html

Out of curiosity, I ask why are you looking at trawlers vs. power catamarans?

Why I'm looking is a bit complicated, but I am currently selling my sailing cat and may find a trawler for a more sedate and less nomadic lifestyle. I don't see myself selling trawlers as there is less than a handful of them here where I live.

I don't really care for power cats. I have always loved the salty looks of a Grand Banks.

Why I'm looking is a bit complicated, but I am currently selling my sailing cat and may find a trawler for a more sedate and less nomadic lifestyle. I don't see myself selling trawlers as there is less than a handful of them here where I live.

I don't really care for power cats. I have always loved the salty looks of a Grand Banks.

Older trawlers have a lot of advantages; they can be relatively affordable, offer a lot of space per linear foot, and can look fantastic.

They can also quickly overwhelm you with projects if they weren't properly taken care of. Wet decks are common (though if the plywood core is teak this can be less of a problem than with other boats), as are rusted steel fuel tanks, leaking windows, etc. etc. The best value is often the boat that's been loved & used & well maintained - even at twice the price.

From my recreational perusing of YW (we purchased our CHB 41 2 years ago), the market for trawlers looks like the market for other boats, but maybe not as nuts as catamarans. Good luck!

Older trawlers have a lot of advantages; they can be relatively affordable, offer a lot of space per linear foot, and can look fantastic.

They can also quickly overwhelm you with projects if they weren't properly taken care of. Wet decks are common (though if the plywood core is teak this can be less of a problem than with other boats), as are rusted steel fuel tanks, leaking windows, etc. etc. The best value is often the boat that's been loved & used & well maintained - even at twice the price.

From my recreational perusing of YW (we purchased our CHB 41 2 years ago), the market for trawlers looks like the market for other boats, but maybe not as nuts as catamarans. Good luck!

A friend of mine has what I think is a CHB Ponderosa 42 that is kiiiiinda for sale, that's what got me thinking about all this.

A friend of mine has what I think is a CHB Ponderosa 42 that is kiiiiinda for sale, that's what got me thinking about all this.

If you know the owner & history of the boat that's a big leg up. I love our CHB - I think the Ponderosas have a ton less exterior teak, which is what I like least about our boat (we're actually painting the last of it this weekend, leaving just the teak decks & windows for me to fret about).

We are hard our our boat; lots of kids, guests, dogs... the interior varnish is tired, lots of dings, stains, etc. But we love her character & extremely functional (3 stateroom!) layout. If we got a "nicer" boat she'd look like our CHB after a summer of use anyway!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom