Why not a Marlow 70 for liveaboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

x2y3z4

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
SeaRose
Vessel Make
Alaskan 68
Any thoughts against using a Marlow 70 (built between 2004 to 2008) to liveaboard for a cruising couple in the mid/late 50s?

Expensive dockage, quite a bit of upkeep, two people don't need all that room.

Go for it.

pete

We have a boat nearly that large and beyond length related costs, the big downside is that it is often too big for many anchorages. Add the height above the water of the anchor roller to the depth of water for scope plus the LOA of the boat and you can get quite a big swinging circle.

If you can afford it there is not much downside to a big boat: they ride easily at anchor in conditions that have smaller boats bouncing about, maintenance is actually easier since components are not buried away, tank capacity is greater allowing more independence from marinas, etc.

Living aboard is a delicate balance between space needs and budget. If you have the budget and it meets your space needs then it works. What I can afford and what I’m willing to spend are two different things.

Living aboard is a delicate balance between space needs and budget. If you have the budget and it meets your space needs then it works. What I can afford and what I’m willing to spend are two different things.

Marlow doesn't always do a good job on mechanical areas access. Check the model carefully. Look beyond the glitz for ER convenience and systems maintenance. You might check out a similar size Outer Reef, Hampton, Offshore or Ocean Alexander for comparison of overall system layout. Then do a cruise on each.

Outer Reefs are steller sea vessels with good range and relatively fuel efficient with smaller engines than Marlows.

Back
Top Bottom