Why no Bayliner in "Trawlers Builders" section?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No one has requested that a Bayliner section be set up. If there is enough interest, then we can see about setting one up! Any takers?

That's interesting. I assumed since I see many Bayliner avatars and comments regarding Bayliner it would have be a different reason.

I guess the boating worlds 'love to hate' Bayliner keeps owners in the closet. :angel:

In my air chair search I keep coming back to the 4588/4788.

That's interesting. I assumed since I see many Bayliner avatars and comments regarding Bayliner it would have be a different reason.

I guess the boating worlds 'love to hate' Bayliner keeps owners in the closet. :angel:

Lot of bang for buck with those models.

Not at all actually.

Nothing wrong with Bayliners, as long as you know what you are getting into when you buy one. One thing they are very good at is getting a lot of interior space out of limited LOA.

Are they a trawler? Probably not, but that really doesn't matter.

Are there a lot of happy Bayliner owners out there? yes

Are they a "top of the Line" quality build, no.

pete

Agreed, for what we would want to use it for (coastal, Bahamas) it has a lot of room, galley up, different / separate sitting areas, etc...

Nothing specific...Always enjoy a less humongous conversation.

"In my air chair search I keep coming back to the 4588/4788"

Here is a start.....

Bayliner 45 vs 47

There were changes made in each model year but these are some of the general differences between the mid 80's 45 and the mid 90's 47 Bayliners.

45 has:
- aluminum holding tank below pilot stairs
- aluminum water tanks
- split A/C units port of port engine
- batteries stb of stb engine
- prop pockets
- a decent davit
- wood base flybridge seats
- wood core in flybridge and elsewhere
- wood veneer on port and stb overhangs
- less space pilot and saloon
- usually gensets have no shield
- arch rear facing and needs attention
- teak cap on rails
- more storage
- “V” struts
- 1-1/2 “ shafts
- watch for dry turbo’s early years
- neat shaft pockets inside to collect water

47 has:
- no prop pockets
- 2" shafts
- less storage
- A/C units are under seats in pilot and master
- batteries at rear of engines
- there is a bulkhead door
- most gensets have shield
- molded seating on flybridge
- arch is forward and braced
- decking is foam core
- more robust davit
- extra space in saloon and pilothouse
- less space in mid stateroom
- more useable space on flybridge
- 95' and down still has all the teak
- most water leaks were corrected

Engine options:
You will find that either Hino engine will provide many years of service if they are not overloaded and reasonably maintained. Get good surveys on the boat and the engines and you will be in good shape to assess your future plans. Disclaimer is that we are not diesel technicians nor in the marine business.
The EH700 series Hino is a bit more robust then the WO6 series but either are more than capable when utilized at their respective ratings. Our experience is that they are well above average in this sub 6.5 litre diesel class for most normal usage. The EH700 series shares no parts with the newer WO6 series engines but the 175 and 220 EH share parts as does the 250 and 310 WO6.

The EH700 (229 hp, 6.44 L) was based on an early 1980's stationary industrial engine for pumping, electrical generation, and similar applications. It was utilized as a non turbo in 122 hp continuous and 142 hp intermittent ratings in many applications when my husband (Ron) first saw them in Shimodate Japan in 1979-1981. The marine versions of 175 and 220 hp (turbo & inter-cooled) have shown good service life, low fuel use, and better than average serviceability, with reasonable maintenance applied. The 175 and 220 are mostly the same except for the turbo, inter-cooler, and fuel load applied. The earlier 220's with dry turbo’s can have more problems as well as the regular issues with 2 piece risers, mani-coolers, trans coolers, and lack of general service.

The WO6 D-Ti-II (310 hp, 5.76 L) is still a very robust engine that has a bit more efficiency owing to the extra dozen years of engineering development but should not make a large difference in these applications. The 250 hp version has a number of differences other then fuel load including oiling, sparges, pistons, etc. Running at 60% or so of max hp (not rpm’s) these engines will have a life exceeding that of the boat if maintained.. We have found these to be slightly easier to service but again the difference is not large.

Why do you keep coming back to 4588/4788? They are both Bayliner but only 2 feet apart, however they are actually two different boats IMO in the cost comparison department. Most people shop in a price range and compare similar priced vessels looking for likes/dislikes.

In the "love to hate" category most of us know Bayliner as an under 30 foot runabout capable of over 8 knots which is not a Trawler.
They are a trawler when travelling at 8 knots, are they at 16-22?
The lack of a Bayliner section may be for the above reasons.

My opinion is there is already the Bayliner Owners Club which is all things Bayliner.

So... There is not really a need here at TF.

Are the boats in what Bayliner called the motoryacht series from 32 to 57 feet trawlers? No more and no less than most of the production boats here on TF.

You keep coming back to the 45/47 pilothouse models for good reason.
They make a fantastic platform for real life Coastal Cruising.
I have a lot of sea miles and a lot of years living on my Bayliner 4788 and absolutely love the designs livability, and the engineering they put into how everything comes together system wise.

Where you will find the 4788 lacking is in the fit and finish when compared to eigher higher dollar boats, or the low cost labor used to build the Tawain Trawlers found here on TF.

Where you will find advantages is in the engineering. That's hard to explain, but you will not find the Bayliners lacking in the systems layout, or the livability of the design.

Last edited:
We looked seriously ar a 4788. Loved the layout but what finally killed the deal for us was the tight engine room. I just couldn’t see me being able to work in there.

Bayliner opened family boating at a reasonable price.

Every brand has its falts and issues.

Why do you keep coming back to 4588/4788? They are both Bayliner but only 2 feet apart, however they are actually two different boats IMO in the cost comparison department. Most people shop in a price range and compare similar priced vessels looking for likes/dislikes.

In the "love to hate" category most of us know Bayliner as an under 30 foot runabout capable of over 8 knots which is not a Trawler.
They are a trawler when travelling at 8 knots, are they at 16-22?
The lack of a Bayliner section may be for the above reasons.

In the grand scheme of things 'they' check the boxes. I'd be open to either/or at this point.

- assessable swim platform (direct step, no ladder)
- Galley up
- Pilothouse with multiple levels of accommodation.
- large open bow deck
- decent cockpit
- Lot of light

We looked seriously ar a 4788. Loved the layout but what finally killed the deal for us was the tight engine room. I just couldn’t see me being able to work in there.

Agreed.

Further that is the comments that the engines are louder due to their location and lack (relative to others) of insulation.

A roomier engine room is much more appealing than lifting the living room floor.

Compromises.

Agreed.

Further that is the comments that the engines are louder due to their location and lack (relative to others) of insulation.

A roomier engine room is much more appealing than lifting the living room floor.

Compromises.

Yep! Compromises.

I looked at a lot of boats. The reality is almost every boat I looked at in the <50' size had engines that were accessed through the cabin sole.

When you think about it, there are only so many choices as to the engine room on a boat in this size range. Want more height???

You can increase the draft making the engine room deeper
You can raise the whole salon/galley deck by a couple of feet

You could go vith vee drives and move thre engines into the lazarette
You could go with jack shafts and move the engines foreward I suppose.

but... those compromises have their own set of effects on other things.

Think each one through, each choice, and then consider the other things it affects. Pretty quickly you realize why in the -50' size almost every boat has removable engine hatches in the sole.

I can remove hatches and access all four sides of my engines with most of the access allowing me to stand up to do work. No this is not OEM, but it is an extremely popular modification.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom