Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #141
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrawlerMI View Post
I don't understand this sites thread administration and monitoring, pls help! A monitor early on states replies off topics will be removed, then I read page after page of the posters not even mentioning boats any more, let alone boat ownership? So I take it staying on topic is not really necessary on this site??
Wifey B:

The toe bone's connected to the foot bone,
The foot bone's connected to the ankle bone,
The ankle bone's connected to the leg bone,
The leg bone's connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone's connected to the hip bone,
The hip bone's connected to the back bone
The back bone's connected to the neck bone,
The neck bone's connected to the head bone,
The finger bone's connected to the hand bone,
The hand bone's connected to the arm bone,
The arm bone's connected to the shoulder bone,

Now that's sort of how it works.
Main topic leads to further discussion of integrally related topics which then lead to more discussion. Millennials led to money which led to education which led to trades education. At what point do you draw the line? When it becomes truly harmful.

Rules also say don't criticize the moderators. If you object to a specific post there's a mechanism for reporting it. If you object to Dem Bones, then sorry.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #142
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
Without college I wouldn't know how to drink or chase women!

Those were the best 7 years of my life! (so far)
I was a slow learner, too. Needed college AND flight school. Both incorporated the same training protocol.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
Old 12-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #143
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
I’m not sure where we fit in . GenX or whatever . In 1973 we were 17 and married , graduated with a GED. In 1974 we had twin daughters and I lied about my age to get a union carpenters job . Now I’m 63 and it’s all been a fast pace blur. I’m still working and thinking on retirement but in reality it looks like another 6 years away . Not whinnying and I don’t look back but where do we fit in.We have this old house that’s almost paid for and a old trawler that’s full of DYI projects .What are we???
Sorry Mule, your a Baby Boomer. Your one of US that get blamed for screwing up the Gen X, Y and Mellinials. We messed the world up, ...... so the youngsters say.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:43 PM   #144
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrawlerMI View Post
I don't understand this sites thread administration and monitoring, pls help! A monitor early on states replies off topics will be removed, then I read page after page of the posters not even mentioning boats any more, let alone boat ownership? So I take it staying on topic is not really necessary on this site??
The original question concerned millennial behavior. Most of what I read is responsive to that, with two notable exceptions -- your post and my reply (this one). So, perhaps you should start a new thread to avoid allegations of hypocrisy.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #145
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Enlist in the Navy have good math skills pass a rigorous exam for nuculear power training, operate a nuck power plant, 6 years later leave the Navy for a six figure salary.
Sorry millennials age limit 25.
[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]
Old 12-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #146
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Enlist in the Navy have good math skills pass a rigorous exam for nuculear power training, operate a nuck power plant, 6 years later leave the Navy for a six figure salary.
Sorry millennials age limit 25.
Except that like a lot of things that were a good meal ticket in the past, civil nuke power is a dying industry in most places. Even countries that are heavily dependent on nuclear power for electricity generation are moving away from nuke power. You may be able to make a good living dismantling older nuke plants though.

For instance, autonomous electric vehicles are going to be a HUGE disruptor once they become widely accepted. There are the obvious things like gas station operators, but also others less apparent like insurance agencies, traffic cops, and body shops.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:43 PM   #147

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by pack mule View Post
i’m not sure where we fit in . Genx or whatever . In 1973 we were 17 and married , graduated with a ged. In 1974 we had twin daughters and i lied about my age to get a union carpenters job . Now i’m 63 and it’s all been a fast pace blur. I’m still working and thinking on retirement but in reality it looks like another 6 years away . Not whinnying and i don’t look back but where do we fit in.we have this old house that’s almost paid for and a old trawler that’s full of dyi projects .what are we???
perfect!
Old 12-17-2018, 11:53 PM   #148
Veteran Member

City: Belmont, CA,
Vessel Name: Se la Vi 2
Vessel Model: FuHwa, 35 feet, built aka a Taiwan Tub
I agree with Alaskan et al. In the Sacramento Delta one sees wakeboarders, bass boaters and larger trawlers and cruisers. The 18 to 26 foot Bayliners and such are slowly deteriorating in their slips and are never taken out. It is a depressing sight. On many beautiful days on the Delta we seem to be the only ones on the water save for a few super speed boats and bass boats that are always in a hurry to get back to somewhere.
Boating is changing significantly, certainly here in the beautiful Delta. One restaurant on the water after another shuts down. We can't blame the millennials, times are a-changing as Bob Dylan sang once. Our children, all married with kids, come out with us once or twice a year but that is not enough for us to keep the boat for much longer. Sic transit gloria.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:03 AM   #149

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
When I was stationed in Germany, (1958-1960) I discovered that the Germans looked at skilled craftsmen as "professionals." There was none of the disdain that Americans have toward blue collar workers.
I happened to be there at that time also as a 17yo infantryman. German teachers are also revered as GODS. Germany has the most practical apprenticeship program on earth.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:15 AM   #150
FF
Guru

"For instance, autonomous electric vehicles are going to be a HUGE disruptor once they become widely accepted."

With out nukes , coal and hydrocarbons will the unemployed find work,, winding up an auto rubber band?

I think today's kids are spoiled by modern gear that requires no thinking or maint.

Everyone has a fridge , but who cares how it works? Or can fix it? TV repair?

Most folks drive cars and few can point to anything under the hood but perhaps the battery.

.Boats even of modest size require maint, and care , something which most of our modern appliances or toys do not require.

The kids just cant be bothered!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:39 AM   #151
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"For instance, autonomous electric vehicles are going to be a HUGE disruptor once they become widely accepted."

With out nukes , coal and hydrocarbons will the unemployed find work,, winding up an auto rubber band?

I think today's kids are spoiled by modern gear that requires no thinking or maint.

Everyone has a fridge , but who cares how it works? Or can fix it? TV repair?

Most folks drive cars and few can point to anything under the hood but perhaps the battery.

.Boats even of modest size require maint, and care , something which most of our modern appliances or toys do not require.

The kids just cant be bothered!

So what? How many people in 1930 knew how to fix their alarm clock or wristwatch? How many people in 1880 knew how to repair a steam engine or make candles?

What difference does this make to anyone?
Old 12-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #152
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
So what? How many people in 1930 knew how to fix their alarm clock or wristwatch? How many people in 1880 knew how to repair a steam engine or make candles?

What difference does this make to anyone?
It still makes a difference. The person who takes the intiative to study and repair his/her car, boat, furnace, computer, lawn mower or build a house, addition, shed, furniture etc forgoes the high labor rates today. The guy that does it himself saves a bundle and ends up in a better place.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #153
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
It still makes a difference. The person who takes the intiative to study and repair his/her car, boat, furnace, computer, lawn mower or build a house, addition, shed, furniture etc forgoes the high labor rates today. The guy that does it himself saves a bundle and ends up in a better place.
Or she spends her time studying her chosen field, becomes a master and makes enough money to hire anyone she wants to do anything she wants.

I’m pretty sure that the owners of the 100’ to 400’ yachts at Rybovich and all the jets at the airport don’t know how to fix them either and why should they? Given a choice of being a hired captain or being that captains employer, I think I’d rather be the boss. If I’m earning upwards of $50k a month, is it sensible to spend time fixing things myself to save a technicians wage when I make 50 times that per hour? Maybe it’s better to just stay in the office for another couple of hours and hire a dozen people to do the dirty work while I play. Now, if fixing the lawnmower is relaxation therapy, that a different story.........
Old 12-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #154
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Or she spends her time studying her chosen field, becomes a master and makes enough money to hire anyone she wants to do anything she wants.

I’m pretty sure that the owners of the 100’ to 400’ yachts at Rybovich and all the jets at the airport don’t know how to fix them either and why should they? Given a choice of being a hired captain or being that captains employer, I think I’d rather be the boss. If I’m earning upwards of $50k a month, is it sensible to spend time fixing things myself to save a technicians wage when I make 50 times that per hour? Maybe it’s better to just stay in the office for another couple of hours and hire a dozen people to do the dirty work while I play. Now, if fixing the lawnmower is relaxation therapy, that a different story.........
Intersting, but that's not the guy living in his parents basement
Old 12-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #155
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
I’m not reading all of this, but I will day that I’m 37, and the majority of my friends have small boats in our lake, spend all day driving to cut down their own Christmas tree in the mountains, pack up the kids and travel the world so much so that we all have a hard time getting together because someone is usually on even a quick vacation, and the majority of us have at least renovated a bathroom, if not the majority of a house all by ourselves. We aren’t anything special, not bragging, just telling how it is.

Boats are freaking expensive. The marina costs are by far the biggest for us and that’s money that’s gone. We can always sell the boat and get that back, but about $10k a year in just slip fees are gone. That’s tough for a lot of people and it’s a hell of a lot more responsible to invest that money for college or even just savings.

We went back and forth for a long time trying to decided if this is financially responsible or not. We decided that we are going to make it work because now is the time to make these memories and we are so glad that we are.

Mechanics is tough. Most people absolutely hate turning wrenches. If you don’t truly enjoy doing the work yourself, it’s time wasted. You’ll end up making mistakes that costs more time and money. Now I can’t stand paying someone to do something that I can do. If I don’t know how, i YouTube it. It’s a great tool to have.

For us, if I didn’t know how or wasn’t willing to do my own work on the boat, we wouldn’t be able to afford it. There’s always something that needs to be done. If I had to call a mechanic for every little thing, it would cost a fortune.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #156
Guru

While I respect those who can and enjoy working on their boats themselves, the attitude that somehow this makes them superior to those who don't is beyond annoying. They are not superior nor are those who pay for work to be done. Are you superior because you can do your own taxes or your own investing? No. Are you superior because you understand how to run a large company? No. Are you superior because you can program business systems or complex web sites? No. Are you superior because you can perform life saving surgery? No. Are you superior because you're a model who makes $1500 per day or another who makes $10,000 per day for photo shoots? No. Are you superior because you're a musician or concert pianist? No. Are you superior because you can design a best selling product? No.

Everyone has skills and interests and they can be in a huge number of areas. Demeaning those who don't have those in mechanical areas or maintenance areas is uncalled for. Demeaning those who lack any specific skills or interests in any area of endeavor is inappropriate.

As to these claims that kids today don't know how as if everyone in previous times did are also a false narrative. My father never picked up a wrench in his life but he charged an hourly rate for his services that allowed him to pay those who did and he respected them. Some of those of us who can't or don't do mechanical work respect those who do and don't run around talking about how horrible they all are. 50 years ago, 75 years ago, 100 years ago, there were plenty who didn't know how to repair a refrigerator or engine. I know a horologist who excels at his craft but would never think of working on his car.

I also know plenty of millennials who are far more mechanically savvy than the average person here. I know a 30 year old female who is a Marine Chief Engineer. Another 30 year old female who is highly capable mechanically. Maybe it's time we get our heads out of the sand and move beyond the stereotypes.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #157
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
"The person who takes the intiative to study and repair his/her car, boat, furnace, computer, lawn mower or build a house, addition, shed, furniture etc forgoes the high labor rates today. The guy that does it himself saves a bundle and ends up in a better place.[/QUOTE]"

That is a fair description of me.
Then there is my daughter who at a very young age is a dockmaster part time, delivers sand repositions yachts on occasion, can set up and run a simple business, and attends patients at the VA.
That girl with her education and street skills saves a bundle and will end up in a better place than me.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #158
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
I’m not reading all of this, but I will day that I’m 37, and the majority of my friends have small boats in our lake, spend all day driving to cut down their own Christmas tree in the mountains, pack up the kids and travel the world so much so that we all have a hard time getting together because someone is usually on even a quick vacation, and the majority of us have at least renovated a bathroom, if not the majority of a house all by ourselves. We aren’t anything special, not bragging, just telling how it is.

Boats are freaking expensive. The marina costs are by far the biggest for us and that’s money that’s gone. We can always sell the boat and get that back, but about $10k a year in just slip fees are gone. That’s tough for a lot of people and it’s a hell of a lot more responsible to invest that money for college or even just savings.

We went back and forth for a long time trying to decided if this is financially responsible or not. We decided that we are going to make it work because now is the time to make these memories and we are so glad that we are.

Mechanics is tough. Most people absolutely hate turning wrenches. If you don’t truly enjoy doing the work yourself, it’s time wasted. You’ll end up making mistakes that costs more time and money. Now I can’t stand paying someone to do something that I can do. If I don’t know how, i YouTube it. It’s a great tool to have.

For us, if I didn’t know how or wasn’t willing to do my own work on the boat, we wouldn’t be able to afford it. There’s always something that needs to be done. If I had to call a mechanic for every little thing, it would cost a fortune.
While I respect that you are able to do much of your own work on your boat, I do have to ask one question. What about aircraft? I know you do fly. Do you do your own work on the plane?

As to your friends on the lake, they're just like we observed and lived among as we lived on the same lake. Sure didn't notice the shortage of millennials owning boats there on Sunday afternoons and holidays.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #159
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
While I respect that you are able to do much of your own work on your boat, I do have to ask one question. What about aircraft? I know you do fly. Do you do your own work on the plane?

As to your friends on the lake, they're just like we observed and lived among as we lived on the same lake. Sure didn't notice the shortage of millennials owning boats there on Sunday afternoons and holidays.
Not really but that’s because I’m not an A&P, so there’s very little that I can actually do.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #160
Guru

Go to a lake in summer and you will see that millennials do indeed own boats: ski boats, bass boats, speed boats, pontoon boats, all sorts of boats.

BTW, I’m an A&P, but never considered learning to pilot the vehicles I worked on. Watching my pilot on the oil rig spend 12 hours plus in an un-air conditioned cockpit in order to log his 10 flight hours a day for not much more pay than me cured me.
Closed Thread