Why Falling Waters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
I just renewed our USCG documentation and after addressing the envelope, thought, while I was sitting here watching F! practice, to look up Falling Waters, WV on Google Earth.

How did the USCG pick THIS place for the National Documentation Center? :ermm:

Attachments

• falling.jpg
    falling.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 84
Pork barrel legislation.

The former senior senator from WV had many facilities established in northeast West Virginia, after years of seeing Maryland and Virginia benefit. The National Conservation Training Center is a facility just down the road outside Shepherdstown, a world class conference center on beautiful spot above the banks of the Potomac. Not particularly close to another US Fish and Wildlife Service facility or concentration of employees.

But the truth is both of these and others are mostly contractor staffed.

Byrd I think. Who says we don't have the best senators money can buy...

The former senior senator from WV had many facilities established in northeast West Virginia, after years of seeing Maryland and Virginia benefit. The National Conservation Training Center is a facility just down the road outside Shepherdstown, a world class conference center on beautiful spot above the banks of the Potomac. Not particularly close to another US Fish and Wildlife Service facility or concentration of employees.

But the truth is both of these and others are mostly contractor staffed.

Wow, okay... Thanks :)

I got the “fake” CG documentation renewal in the mail yesterday. They sure try to make it look like official CG paperwork. They hooked my wife, she asked me if she should go ahead and send it it.

Why Falling Waters

Gravity?

Could be a third party site, located based on cost.

Former Sen. Robert Byrd. Deceased now.
FWIW the CG has a ship tracking operation near Charlestown WV. The National Conservation Training Ctr. is in the panhandle. Homeland Security, VA Ctr. Hospital AND the IRS.
He looked out for West (by God) Virginia. Somebody had to. :)

I wonder how other KKK brothers were benefited from this largess?

Yup, got the 3rd party “offer” to renew my documentation the other day too. Knowing my documentation doesn’t expire til Feb sent the “offer” into the trash.

OP - do you know online renewal is easy, fast and doesn’t cost any extra fee? Saves an envelope & stamp!

Yup, got the 3rd party “offer” to renew my documentation the other day too. Knowing my documentation doesn’t expire til Feb sent the “offer” into the trash.

OP - do you know online renewal is easy, fast and doesn’t cost any extra fee? Saves an envelope & stamp!

Of course... But I try not to give my CC# out when not really necessary. Besides, addressing and stamping an envelope isn't a hardship. Certainly not to a government agency. :)

The same reason why the JOHNSON SPACE CENTER is in Houston!

Nope, This was the real deal. It's easy to tell the difference. :)

I meant that the CG could be using a third party location to handle the process.

Pork barrel legislation.

Specifically, Senator Byrd.

Hey, Trent Lott got an entire spare helicopter aircraft carrier built in his state's yard at Pascagoula the Navy never really wanted!

Just the tip of the pork barrel problem. PB road construction would probably dwarf the carrier.

Last edited:
The locals in West Virginia call these places Byrd droppings, after the long-time senator Robert Byrd.

The locals in West Virginia call these places Byrd droppings, after the long-time senator Robert Byrd.

Now that there is funy!!!!

Byrd . wheeling is where the national us Savings Bond office is. If you live in WV Byrd was a God .

Truth be Told

In all due respect I believe the answers went a little sideways from what you were expecting. The truth be told, unless you mailed your renewal to falling Waters West Virginia you were scammed. The Coast Guard only has one documentation processing office. That office has a very small staff. What happens as you get these very official looking Coast Guard renewal letters in the mail and your fill out your paperwork and send it in with a very large check. The documentation service you just Contracted with by virtue of filling out your form will cash your check, issue a check for the proper amount, and forward your application to the proper Coast Guard office. These are not offices contacted by the US Coast Guard as third-party providers to take care of the backlog. People been complaining for a long time about these very official looking letters and high fees.

That’s what it appears to be from what I’m seeing.

USCG/National Vessel Documentation Center
792 T J Jackson Drive
Falling Waters, WV 25419

See below from Coast Guard Site

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/1a25ee8

In all due respect I believe the answers went a little sideways from what you were expecting. The truth be told, unless you mailed your renewal to falling Waters West Virginia you were scammed.

Preachin’ to the choir. I CAN tell the difference. All I am asking is why in heck is the CG renewal center in a po-dunk town in the middle of Nowhere, WV. Nothing more.

Gosh, I must have been mistaken. With a name like Falling Waters I thought it must be one of our great seaports.

It’s not that far from DC really. Plenty of people who live in the towns all around it commute to DC every workday. When I received an offer to promote and transfer to DC a short time before I retired I was looking at houses in that general area, before turning the offer down.

Actually putting these places in Podunk USA probably saves a lot of dollars - and creates a few jobs where they’re sorely needed.

Last edited:
One might logically think there would be some savings (salary?) but, no, Falling Waters is included in the Washington DC pay locality area which means Federal employees there receive the same rates of pay as do DC employees. Yet, the cost of a home there is far, far cheaper than in the metro DC and Baltimore and Northern VA areas. It's a joke and a waste of your tax dollars all thanks to Robert Byrd. On the other hand, it is West Virginia. My wife and I just recently visited a cousin in that area thinking we might want to move there when we buy a dirt house in a couple of years. Not a chance. Good medical care is a long drive, two hours or more to Baltimore. It is a desert in the mountains but very scenic.
It’s not that far from DC really. Plenty of people who live in the towns all around it commute to DC every workday. When I received an offer to promote and transfer to DC a short time before I retired I was looking at houses in that general area, before turning the offer down.

Actually putting these places in Podunk USA probably saves a lot of dollars - and creates a few jobs where they’re sorely needed.

Beware of scammers

I got the “fake” CG documentation renewal in the mail yesterday. They sure try to make it look like official CG paperwork. They hooked my wife, she asked me if she should go ahead and send it it.

Really good point. In my CG Aux work with vessel safety exams I all too often come across people who tell me their annual doc fees are $75 or even $125.

The USCG annual vessel documentation Is only $26 and can be done online.

https://www.pay.gov/public/form/preview/pdf/101

I remember having an FBI fingerprint examiner coming down on one of our cases, and telling us how mad they all were when their operation got moved to West Virginia.

Right up, he said, until the got there and saw much house they were going to be able to buy from selling their DC area home. :D

One might logically think there would be some savings (salary?) but, no, Falling Waters is included in the Washington DC pay locality area which means Federal employees there receive the same rates of pay as do DC employees. Yet, the cost of a home there is far, far cheaper than in the metro DC and Baltimore and Northern VA areas. It's a joke and a waste of your tax dollars all thanks to Robert Byrd. On the other hand, it is West Virginia. My wife and I just recently visited a cousin in that area thinking we might want to move there when we buy a dirt house in a couple of years. Not a chance. Good medical care is a long drive, two hours or more to Baltimore. It is a desert in the mountains but very scenic.

I'm guessing that most if not all employees at the National Document Center are contractors with one or two officers and a few petty officers in the corner offices. Davis Bacon wages, probably, but not general schedule employees. I could be wrong.

I'm guessing that most if not all employees at the National Document Center are contractors with one or two officers and a few petty officers in the corner offices. Davis Bacon wages, probably, but not general schedule employees. I could be wrong.
Nope. Google says differently. These folks are general schedule employees right down to GS-4 clerks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom