Old 11-23-2017, 12:23 AM   #61
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Admittedly, we do own a premium cooler that will probably pay for itself in ice purchases savings in the next 40 or 50 years. Maybe 60. Seriously,it is convenient having a large bag of ice last through a long,hot weekend,though. It lives in the cockpit & I do worry about UV damage but not enough to store it below. I would also worry about it getting swiped if the boat lived at a marina unattended. I'd really worry about a Yeti bucket walking.
That said, I doubt I could ever be convinced to pay $40 for a bucket that I use only for washing the boat & peeing in. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 11-23-2017, 05:06 AM   #62
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Round buckets I find annoying anyway.

I prefer old chum pails, square and a bit smaller.

Plus with the chum pails, don't wash them too carefully and they are WAYYYYYY less likely to be stolen off your boat....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:22 AM   #63
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
This is really about branding, which is something I know a little about due to my line of work.

Good, successful, brands now days make us feel like we are part of a certain tribe. A tribe that we want to be associated with. Those who don't want to be associated with a certain tribe don't like that certain brand. This is just fine with the people who do like the brand, they want to feel different.

There are a few people out there who don't fall into this (they wear the exact same thing every single day, drive 20 year old cars and almost certainly don't own a boat) but they are in the huge minority. Nothing wrong with this, and heck, they save a lot of money, I'm sure.

But I would make a very educated guess that pretty much everyone on this forum has at least a few brands that make them feel warm and fuzzy, even if they don't realize it.

Yeti may not be the brand that trips your trigger, they don't really want to be associated with the trawler crowd, but for a lot of people Yeti is the deal.

It's how the world works, or at least how North America works.
Well said .....As I sit here in my $60 LLBean slippers. $60.......Really?
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:38 AM   #64
FF
Guru

Remember with any bucket , it may be the bilge pump of last resort,

so get one that you can lift about 1/2 full, for a couple of hours.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:57 AM   #65
Guru

Based on how many heart attack victims MEDEVACed and virtually all the boats eventually sinking....

I will get in my dink, hope for the best and leave the bucket brigade to the younger or more desparate crowd....
Old 11-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #66
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Since I'm working on becoming a crazy old cat person, I've got lots of free buckets. Clumping cat litter comes in nice rectangular buckets.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:31 AM   #67
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
You guys are not paying attention. It is made out of food safe plastic! Just be sure you clean out all the anti-freeze, oil and blige residue after use! Sorry it won't fit in a dishwasher.

Yikes, wonder what my Home Cheapo 5 gal plastic bucket is made out of?
Old 11-23-2017, 06:52 AM   #68
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Most of y'all are still missing the point, though Parks gets it, which doesn't surprise me as he was in retail for a long time.

It really has very little to do with the quality of the bucket (or whatever the product is), though that does play a roll.

A lot of posters in this thread are enjoying a harmless laugh at those who would pay $40 for a bucket. "Look at those fools. Heck, I get free buckets out of the dumpster all the time!" When the people who bought the $40 bucket, bought it in part precisely so they wouldn't look like they rummaged in the dumpster for a bucket.

To each his own. It's only $40.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #69
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
It's how the world works, or at least how North America works.
You're absolutely right. I see it all the time. Frankly, I'm worried. Sure, most Americans have enough to survive, and what they throw the rest away on is nobody else's business.

But that tribalism you mention has larger social consequences. Just look at the state of our politics. Issues are almost irrelevant. We all just root for "our team." Everyone in the "other" party is horrible. Everyone in "our" party can do no wrong. The real needs of the people they were supposedly elected to serve aren't even mentioned.

I know I'm in a very small minority, thinking this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Onslow would never use a $40 bucket, that's for sure Hyacinth.
Love that show!

Quote:
Most of y'all are still missing the point, though Parks gets it, which doesn't surprise me as he was in retail for a long time.

It really has very little to do with the quality of the bucket (or whatever the product is), though that does play a roll.

...the people who bought the $40 bucket, bought it in part precisely so they wouldn't look like they rummaged in the dumpster for a bucket.
Exactly. It's a fashion statement. I just don't happen to see much value in fashion. You'll agree if you ever see me in person.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:03 AM   #70
Guru

Quote:

A lot of posters in this thread are enjoying a harmless laugh at those who would pay $40 for a bucket. "Look at those fools. Heck, I get free buckets out of the dumpster all the time!" When the people who bought the $40 bucket, bought it in part precisely so they wouldn't look like they rummaged in the dumpster for a bucket.

To each his own. It's only $40.
Dont be suprised if we ALL get it, just that some of us shake out heads at it.

I know the types, buy a $125,000 twenty something footer....and buy all the best for it, wear clothes with the boats logo and have a personalized license plate with the boat make.

I also know the guys with $2 mil battlewagons with the Home depot buckets.

Nothing new there....
Old 11-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #71
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Battlewagon Buckets - Top Shelf Marine Products

I have this for 10 years now and thought is was extravagant. Half price of the Yeti. AND, its made in BOOCA.

full disclosure: my boat wash supplies are kept in a kitty litter bucket. I do like the rectangular form factor/stores on a shelf better.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #72
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
oh no. It's worse than i thought. My wife just reminded me that she gave me a SECOND Battlewagon bucket and it cost $50, but it has a clear bottom to check out the reef. I have sinned twice.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:42 AM   #73
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
oh no. It's worse than i thought. My wife just reminded me that she gave me a SECOND Battlewagon bucket and it cost $50, but it has a clear bottom to check out the reef. I have sinned twice.
Dave, go forth and sin no more.

Psst sailor, wanna buy a left handed monkey wrench? You can never tell when you might use one.
Also have a special on 50ft of shore line. You have to come coil it.
Let's not forget a can of relative bearing grease.
I am pretty sure you need all these items on your boat.
For you, special price.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #74
Guru

[QUOTE=CaptTom;611832]You're absolutely right. I see it all the time. Frankly, I'm worried. Sure, most Americans have enough to survive, and what they throw the rest away on is nobody else's business.

But that tribalism you mention has larger social consequences. Just look at the state of our politics. Issues are almost irrelevant. We all just root for "our team." Everyone in the "other" party is horrible. Everyone in "our" party can do no wrong. The real needs of the people they were supposedly elected to serve aren't even mentioned.

I know I'm in a very small minority, thinking this way.

I agree entirely. We are divided on purpose, it makes us easier to control and manipulate.

Just don't get me started on gator fans. Those people are the worst. :-)
Old 11-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #75
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Dont be suprised if we ALL get it, just that some of us shake out heads at it.

I know the types, buy a $125,000 twenty something footer....and buy all the best for it, wear clothes with the boats logo and have a personalized license plate with the boat make.

I also know the guys with $2 mil battlewagons with the Home depot buckets.

Nothing new there....
Agree, but wouldn't you say the $2 Million dollar battle wagon is in itself a very extravagant expression of tribalism?

I know some of those guys too, you'd be hard pressed to find a more cliquish group. And that culture is driven, for the most part, by "look at me."
Old 11-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #76
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: It's a freaking bucket and if you don't like it or think it costs too much, then fine but what's all this about it being a symbol or this or that or the decaying of civilization or North America gone wrong or anything else. You don't understand something so you go crazy on how it and it's like are destroying the world. It's a bucket. A very nice bucket. Worth $40 to some, not to most. Sometimes things are just as they are, not symbols of something greater in society, not cause to attack owners of expensive boats or cheap boats and expensive buckets. I'm sure nearly everyone here sees something not worth what people pay, some brand perhaps, but then turn around and pay extra for a brand of something else. Don't stereotype the buyers when you don't even know who they are or why because you haven't talked to any of them or even the store clerk.

We only have Heinz Ketchup. Much more than others and house brands. It's not symbolic. It's simple really. We like the taste better. French's Mustard, but we don't get Grey Poupon. Why not? Are we rebelling against elitism? Heck no. We just don't like the taste.

Sometimes you try to read between the lines when there's nothing at all there to read.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Agree, but wouldn't you say the $2 Million dollar battle wagon is in itself a very extravagant expression of tribalism?

I know some of those guys too, you'd be hard pressed to find a more cliquish group. And that culture is driven, for the most part, by "look at me."
Not realy, like a lot of wealthy people, their personalities are all over the map...and I have known quite a few.

Go to the clique and you will find a bunch, but a lot stay out of that clique too.

WifeyB....Marketing IS about readng betwen the lines.....I stink at it, but its no sercret.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #78
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: It's a freaking bucket and if you don't like it or think it costs too much, then fine but what's all this about ....:
Wifey B: you nailed it...... it's a freaking bucket, it holds water for some other purpose. You like it, buy it. You don't like, don't buy it. End of story. Please allow us to poke fun at those who buy one of the $40 buckets. It is fun picking on those with a learning disability.

I have more important things to do with my money, chase middle age women, buying reasonable good cigars and cheap grocery store wine.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #79
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. WB. Don't hold back now. Tell us how you REALLY feel.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #80
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Please allow us to poke fun at those who buy one of the $40 buckets. It is fun picking on those with a learning disability.

I have more important things to do with my money, chase middle age women, buying reasonable good cigars and cheap grocery store wine.
Wifey B: No it's stupid to pick on those about something you don't understand. Then when you're throwing away money on cigars you lost all credibility.

Well, we live in a smoke free world so no cigars allowed. Next you'll be trying to justify all the money spent on beer.

Still, seriously, none of you have made any attempt to learn about the bucket. I haven't, because I don't give a darn about it or any bucket. But then I'm not passing judgement on those who buy it.

Oh and as to the label on it. I'm sure to some it means quality. Want to talk Rolex? Surely a waste of money when you can buy a watch for $20. But sure known for quality and we're not taking 10 times the price like on the buckets but far more. We found out where the TF crowd loses control. It's on watches.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote