Why didn't I think of this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too much money in this world is spent on buying stuff to impress people you don't know or even like.

So you're saying FF buys his expensive bucket just to impress people? Of all those I know, he'd be the last one to do it. I doubt anyone buying the $40 bucket did so for that reason. No bucket is going to be used to impress people.

This discussion does remind me of one of my favorite boating moments though. Chartering in the San Juans we hired an instructor/captain just to help pump up our sailing resume for the next, bigger charter boat the following year. He was insufferable. I won't go into details, but he even corrected how I tied a rope to the bucket handle to wash off a muddy anchor. "Here youngster, untie that ugly knot, let me show you how to tie a proper bucket-handle triple-bend British Navy double square knot..." He tossed the bucket overboard, knot unraveled like it was custom-designed to release upon contact with water, and the bucket floated away. One of my favorite moments. I didn't need to say a word. Now if that had been a $900 Yeti bucket...

$5 for a plastic bucket seems like a waste to me. $40 is laughable. I just use empty drywall mud buckets or similar.

I think if I spent $40 on a bucket, I'd write up a glowing review just to try to justify my purchase. To myself if nobody else.

Seriously, what are they going to say? "I was a fool, I could have bought 10 regular buckets and still have money left over?"

I think if I spent $40 on a bucket, I'd write up a glowing review just to try to justify my purchase. To myself if nobody else.

Seriously, what are they going to say? "I was a fool, I could have bought 10 regular buckets and still have money left over?"

People say things like that everyday, often reviews speak as to the price and say they could have gotten the same far cheaper or even better for less. I know nothing about the bucket, but neither do most posting here. Some think it's worth the price.

Was he from Nantucket?

Wifey B: There was an old man with a bucket.
He was originally from Nantucket.
To West Marine he then tried to truck it.
Until the people on TF all told him to .......

:)

I'm not an expert on buckets and see Home Depot has them for $3.25 but obviously they won't do what this one will.

I got 6 or so out of the recycling container from one of those high end cup-cake places: 4 gallon food grade buckets for cream cheese icing complete with lids. A bit of a bear to clean at first but they have all kinds of uses on the boat, from prawn bait, prawn buckets, potato and carrot storage buckets etc (with holes) and live buckets.

Jim

Wifey B: now that's funny. Thanks for the chuckle

And when you lose that $40 over the side, how will you feel about that 'investment.'

It's not on my bucket list.

icon10.gif
icon14.gif

And when you lose that $40 over the side, how will you feel about that 'investment.'

Don't think it's meant to be lost over the side or likely will be the way it would be used. For all I know, it may even float.

Don't think it's meant to be lost over the side or likely will be the way it would be used. For all I know, it may even float.
For display purposes, with price tag laminated in plastic?

B&B has a suspiciously strong need to defend the Yeti bucket. I think they bought one.

For $40, it best be the bucket in the world.

Throw your Yeti bucket over the side and see if it floats please.

B&B has a suspiciously strong need to defend the Yeti bucket. I think they bought one.

No, haven't bought one, but you guys sure do tempt me to do so just to see. I do feel a strong need to defend it against those of you who have never seen it and may not have a use that requires it while those who have purchased it have very positive reviews, not just at West Marine but other places selling it. I would listen to actual users before those who have only seen a photo.

B (or B, whichever), I'm really trying to see it from your point of view.

There certainly are specialized tools and equipment that, to the right user, are well worth a huge premium. You are 100% correct there.

Maybe my problem is a strong suspicion that, in this particular case, it's not the product that's being purchased, but the name. The image.

Yeti is currently a very fashionable label. I strongly suspect that buyers are shelling out the money not to use a bucket, but to be SEEN using a YETI bucket. And of course they also want to tell the world about it in a review.

If that's how someone wants to spend their money, it's none of my business. But I have this uncontrollable need to understand WHY someone does something which seems, to me, so illogical.

When they won't admit the real reason why they made the purchase, and instead fall back on implausible justifications, it creates a cognitive dissonance which I struggle with.

It's OK. I'll get over it. ;)

PS: Stop by any restaurant's kitchen door if you want plastic 5-gallon buckets. All kinds of foods come in them, and they are usually more than happy to let you take what they would otherwise throw away.

I'll admit it, I have one on order.

One of the brands I work for has a shared program with Yeti, we get their stuff at 50% off and they get ours at 50% off, so the bucket cost me $20.

I like the color. So does my wife, it matches the hull of our flats boat. It's probably a little nicer bucket than you can get at HD but that's not really why I bought it. By the way, I also have another bucket that I paid about $20 for on the boat, it has a Seminole head on it and a really nice handle made out of Brait. I've had it since 2013, I like it.

Some of y'all need to get over yourselves.

In a thread a few years back I was criticized because I laughed at people who pay upwards of $10,000 for a helm seat (you've obviously never sat in a stidd), as you can get a perfectly good one for well under $1,000, some would argue under $500. Same concept here on a much smaller scale.

Many of you probably spent 3 times the cost of this bucket on a single meal in a "fine" restaurant tonight. I can go to the oyster bar down the street and get a great burger for $8.00. Did you get ripped off? A fool and his money are soon parted, right?

What about wine? Can all of you connoisseurs really blind taste test the difference between a $20 bottle and a $200 bottle? Really? I highly doubt it. You buy the nice wine to impress those around you, and to make yourself feel good about your purchase. It tastes better to you only because you paid more for it. Nothing wrong with that, it's your money.

Do I feel ripped off because I spent $20 on a bucket? Well, maybe a little, but it's $20, even if it was $40 that's a drop in the bucket (ha ha) compared to what most of us spend on our boats in a year.

It's fun, isn't that what boating is all about?

Last edited:
B (or B, whichever), I'm really trying to see it from your point of view.

There certainly are specialized tools and equipment that, to the right user, are well worth a huge premium. You are 100% correct there.

Maybe my problem is a strong suspicion that, in this particular case, it's not the product that's being purchased, but the name. The image.

Yeti is currently a very fashionable label. I strongly suspect that buyers are shelling out the money not to use a bucket, but to be SEEN using a YETI bucket. And of course they also want to tell the world about it in a review.

If that's how someone wants to spend their money, it's none of my business. But I have this uncontrollable need to understand WHY someone does something which seems, to me, so illogical.

When they won't admit the real reason why they made the purchase, and instead fall back on implausible justifications, it creates a cognitive dissonance which I struggle with.

It's OK. I'll get over it. ;)

PS: Stop by any restaurant's kitchen door if you want plastic 5-gallon buckets. All kinds of foods come in them, and they are usually more than happy to let you take what they would otherwise throw away.

Have you looked at the various pick up truck accessories? The $300 vs $500 vs $2000 boxes. I see them and I'm shocked at the expensive ones and can't tell the difference. Yet, to professionals who use their trucks heavily, they can tell you absolutely the differences and the value in the more expensive ones.

I would guess that free or $5 buckets would be great for 99.9% of all users. This product doesn't go after that market. It's going after those with extra heavy uses for buckets. Even if they only get 0.1% or more like 0.01% of the market, it's still a huge market.

As I'm not in any field that requires their use, I knew nothing about the Yeti label.

This is really about branding, which is something I know a little about due to my line of work.

Good, successful, brands now days make us feel like we are part of a certain tribe. A tribe that we want to be associated with. Those who don't want to be associated with a certain tribe don't like that certain brand. This is just fine with the people who do like the brand, they want to feel different.

There are a few people out there who don't fall into this (they wear the exact same thing every single day, drive 20 year old cars and almost certainly don't own a boat) but they are in the huge minority. Nothing wrong with this, and heck, they save a lot of money, I'm sure.

But I would make a very educated guess that pretty much everyone on this forum has at least a few brands that make them feel warm and fuzzy, even if they don't realize it.

Yeti may not be the brand that trips your trigger, they don't really want to be associated with the trawler crowd, but for a lot of people Yeti is the deal.

It's how the world works, or at least how North America works.

USD 40 means around $55AUD converted, with fees. At that price I`d call it a "bucquet",simulating French pronunciation as per an old English TV series, rather than the usual rather crude and harsh sounding "bucket".

...At that price I`d call it a "bucquet",simulating French pronunciation as per an old English TV series, rather than the usual rather crude and harsh sounding "bucket".

Onslow would never use a $40 bucket, that's for sure Hyacinth.

.....for a lot of people Yeti is the deal.

It's how the world works, or at least how North America works.

You are probably right, Doug. Maybe thats why I left North America. In the backwater over here, I hadn't ever heard of the brand Yeti until I read about the bucket. I must be missing out on some very important things in life; or not.

I trying to thing of a brand that is important to me. I'll let you know when I come up with something.

Last edited:
... I hadn't ever heard of the brand Yeti until I read about the bucket. I must be missing out on some very important things in life; or not.

I trying to thing of a brand that is important to me. I'll let you know when I come up with something.
This may help, a friend has a chihuahua called Yeti.

maxresdefault.jpg

YETI SopUp™ Sponge – $29.99
9k=

9k=

Yes the YETI SopUp Sponge is all-purpose on purpose. Whenever we’re getting our counters wet we need tools that don’t fail when the job gets tough. And the YETI SopUp sponge is ready to get to work. It’s built for wiping the counters, spilt drinks from sundowners, sopping water from the bilge, or whatever other solution-based jobs you need to handle. Versatile, easily stowed, and over-engineered to last, the SopUp sponge can be taken anywhere to do nearly anything. It’s also fully reversible in case you have left and right handed crew, for example.

(with apologies to the marketing writers at West Marine who no doubt worked hard on the bucket marketing collateral)

This is great! PT Barnum would be proud. My wife & I are racking our brains to come up with something similar to market to the yachtie crowd.

If you factor in inflation, I think I was the first to sell a $40 bucket to the marine industry. Back in the seventies I imported a really nice heavy white plastic bucket from England. I sold it for about twenty bucks. It lasted longer than the typical Rubber Maid or mud bucket and really looked classy sitting in the cockpit of a million dollar battle wagon.

I sold a bunch of them. Brought them in by the gross. Eventually I got a really nice letter from the manufacturer saying he was sorry but they couldn't ship to the USA anymore. Their liability insurance wouldn't cover them in the US.

A few years later, the president of the company was vacationing in Miami and stopped into the store to thank me for all the business and lament that we could no longer do it.

Same thing happened with an anchor I imported from Denmark. Insurance company told them to stop selling to the US.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom