Why is the crew outside ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benthic2

Guru
Why does the entire crew ride outside ? I understand if you are retrieving people out of the water you have to go outside, but it looks like the main helm is exposed to the weather....does anyone know why are these boats designed like that ??

Attachments

• USCG-47ft-lifeboat.jpg
    USCG-47ft-lifeboat.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 73
You get a better view. So what you are outside? I have driven one and the outside bridge is my preference. If you are over 6’ you have to watch out for the buoyancy chamber/radar arch. It doesn’t give when you run into it with your head.

I was just watching some videos of the rough water training they go through.....and it just seems like a safety issue.....is everyone tethered in ?

When they are in rough conditions or in breaking seas, everyone is in helmets, pads and in a large belt and snapped into padeyes. It will hold you in place even if the boat rolls over. It is supposed to take about 20 seconds to right itself and should come up running.

I have heard that they are self righting....pretty impressive boats.....but you'd find me inside where its warm and dry!!

It actually has 4 helm stations, if I remember correctly, only 1 with a wheel and the others have joystick controls. The survivor compartment would be a horrible place to ride seas like those. It is an aluminum room with no view and 4 seats they strap you into. I asked if the survivors complain and was told no that usually they are just happy to be alive but puking their guts out in there.

I have heard that they are self righting....pretty impressive boats.....but you'd find me inside where its warm and dry!!

A good friend of mine used to instruct at Cape D in the Heavy Weather Coxswain school. He said they tell you not to kick when they go over, but when it does roll over everyone kicks the crap out of each other. Gotta go for the gusto.

Back then, circa 2002, it was very impressive with the DDEC electronic controlled engines. You could watch things like the temp of each cylinder and a whole array of info. Now that is pretty normal.

I have an RNLI Arun Class boat. Older technology but similar.
Vision from inside isn't good. It's easier to operate from up top.
The capsize units are mounted down near the bottom of the bilge.
If the boat rolls over the engines shut down and radar stops rotating.
As soon as it is upright there are capsize cancel switches in front of the throttles that restart everything.
The engine breather tubes run from each engine over the roof of the engine room to the opposite side engine.
The air intakes run down to the bilge so that if the boat is upside down they are then above the waterline.
The newer Severn Class boats have had the CAT 3412TA engines replaced with MTU 10V2000 that will run inverted for the 7 seconds it takes to roll upright.
This RNLI photo is of the boat in seas to 60'.

Attachments

• 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 55
When you spew it just washes right off would be my guess....

One of these boats went by me in a heavy snow storm on the outer edge of the Ketchikan harbor. I was wiping a hole in the snow on the windshield and worried the’d see me and stop me for doing something unsafe. But not one of those guys looked straight at me. They just went on w their drill or whatever.

Something to do when the weather is blowing really bad: drive out to the viewpoint at Cape Disappointment that looks out over the north jetty of the Columbia River. Can be nasty just getting from the car on the lee side of the ridge and up to the viewpoint.

When those guys are out there in the surf is quite a show.

I have an RNLI Arun Class boat. Older technology but similar.

Vision from inside isn't good. It's easier to operate from up top.

The capsize units are mounted down near the bottom of the bilge.

If the boat rolls over the engines shut down and radar stops rotating.

As soon as it is upright there are capsize cancel switches in front of the throttles that restart everything.

The engine breather tubes run from each engine over the roof of the engine room to the opposite side engine.

The air intakes run down to the bilge so that if the boat is upside down they are then above the waterline.

The newer Severn Class boats have had the CAT 3412TA engines replaced with MTU 10V2000 that will run inverted for the 7 seconds it takes to roll upright.

This RNLI photo is of the boat in seas to 60'.

Awesome. If that is your personal boat, how is it modified for personal use? Or is it a workboat?

Back
Top Bottom