Who Would You Sail With?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because of my passion for speckle trout fishing, I would love to hook up with Paul on
Cajun Rose on a trip to the Chandeliers. Love his old, refurbished Biloxi Lugger.

I’ve been thinking about a Chandelier trip for a while. That’s where we out to do a TF get together.

Someone might be huge fun here and a total %$# in person.

I think it is more likely the other way around. Many people do not come off very well in text only....while in person they might be more fun.

I think it is more likely the other way around. Many people do not come off very well in text only....while in person they might be more fun.

Wifey B: I think a lot of that. The personality doesn't show through. There are a couple here who I know come across as cranky old men and yet I know those who have met them and spent time around them and call them the friendliest, most hospitable people you'd ever meet. I know one couple that was uncomfortable here and they're two of the most interesting people you could ever know.

There are people I've known as acquaintances from business or similar that really don't seem very likable but put them in a setting with their kids and you see the most incredible family and what great parents they are.

I think we forget sometimes that everyone here has their own family, extended family, and friends, own workplaces or communities. This is just a small part of their lives. Even in a gathering like the one in Fort Pierce, you just get a glimpse of who they are. :)

Wifey B: But I like speed. Plus way too much nudity and skimpy bikinis for you guys.

Hey, I spend plenty of time on my boat in the nude and in my skimpy bikini.

What a minute, maybe that's why nobody wants to cruise with me :lol:

Hey, I spend plenty of time on my boat in the nude and in my skimpy bikini.

What a minute, maybe that's why nobody wants to cruise with me :lol:

Isn't that the first briefing you give to crew, "If you have to get me up in case of emergency, don't worry about my lack of pants!"

Wifey B: But I like speed. Plus way too much nudity and skimpy bikinis for you guys. I do appreciate the kind words though. :)

Plus the fact we don't serve booze aboard is a big negative. :eek:

Thing is outside those here who have actually spent time together, speculating on who they'd enjoy an extended cruise with is like gallery shooting. Someone might be huge fun here and a total %$# in person.

Just finished a great tennis match. Went to play and returned home by water. Now, being totally lazy. Putting everything off till tomorrow. :D

WifeyB,

Good points. I could argue that most of the folks here would be great for docktails, perhaps a few days traveling together, but in separate boats and plenty to be learned from others here. Once one REALLY gets to know the other, then perhaps a week trip would workout fine.

I'd be glad to take training from some of the training captains here and pick up a few good pointers. But that's only a short time, and a different venue.

A long trip (longer than 3 days) together on the same boat would be hard to do with a stranger, regardless of how many posts they've made. My typical profile, is I just don't boat (or fly) with strangers. Perhaps a close relative of a friend at times, like a wife, would be ok. As a rule I don't take kids on the boat, just too much risk for the benefit. In fact, I don't like to even give a tour to someone I don't know.

As for the bikinis or booze..... I've don't care what someone wears, but the booze starts after the boat is secured somewhere.

Another issue here is that we have a lot of type A personalities and a lot of folks with a ton of experience and set ways to operate a boat. Two captains on a boat does not work, so if a guest can't follow the captains orders and pays attention to the brief, they should stay on the dock.

I'll make some exceptions to the above, depending.

Just food for thought.

<<<Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Janice142 would be a good travel companion, because I think she would take the time to meander and experience locations fully, rather than romp from one anchorage to the next.>>>

I’ve never met Janice, but would agree.

Janice is a really neat person, see her at our Legion. She runs a really cute small trawler that gets a lot of looks and she runs it very efficiently and well. She does seem to take the time to meander and experience things. She's a hoot!

Sometimes the guest is the captain or in some cases should be. :)

Sometimes the guest is the captain or in some cases should be. :)
For another angle on this thread:

The boat crew cruises on their stomach. With that in mind, I could probably cruise with Irv (Bigsfish) on Gotcha simply because I know Watfa is a wonderful cook. Not saying Irv isn't a good captain, but you've got to have priorities.

Other wonderful cooks that come to mind are Lena on Hobo (no idea how Larry stays so thin), and Jackie on Magic.

Now this isn't meant to be sexist, as my my preferred cooks are ladies, but after you've met Irv and Larry, well you know who the master chefs are. :rolleyes:

Ted

Heck Ted...based on most dockmaster greetings...

The first words out of their mouths are where the best places in town are to eat...not what the tidal range or current is, not what shoals are in the area, not the local bridge opening schedule, not their electrical inadequacies, etc...etc

So I guess many owners are dock seekers then restaurant seekers... so the on board cooks better be 5 star like those you mentioned.

You should do a reality show Ted....IPA beer drinking and eating my way around the Great Loop....I know you could get enough invites with your traveling cooler... :D

Wifey B: But I like speed. Plus way too much nudity and skimpy bikinis for you guys. I do appreciate the kind words though. :)

Plus the fact we don't serve booze aboard is a big negative. :eek:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Congrats on the booze thing. You definitely will look better in a bikini for it. Human metabolism and the modern US diet are not compatible.

As a result of this forum I will try Armagnac when I get the chance. I tried red wine also from a recommendation on this forum. I think it was an oil thread. Felt good as reported.

Another thread could be: Who has been the worst influence on you?

You should do a reality show Ted....IPA beer drinking and eating my way around the Great Loop....I know you could get enough invites with your traveling cooler... :D

Scott, now that's a good idea! Traveling craft beer cooler in search of a boat party. :thumb:

Ted

Just finished a great tennis match. Went to play and returned home by water. Now, being totally lazy. Putting everything off till tomorrow. :D

Speed, bikinis AND Tennis. That puts a different spin on everything.

Welcome aboard!

"Better alone then well accompanied "

Go for it! If it's not too far for our Grady, I'd go.

Are you in Mass during the summer? Where do you normally keep your BIG boat or are you always cruising?

What kind of Grady White do you have?

Would not touch this one with a ten foot pole.

Are you in Mass during the summer? Where do you normally keep your BIG boat or are you always cruising?

What kind of Grady White do you have?

The big boat moved around the west coast of NA, but is sold now. New one under construction. We live in Gloucester, MA. Grady is a 285 Freedom which is great for bopping around locally, watching whales, etc.

I've cruised alone lots. With very boat knowledgeable individuals at times. And I've cruised with total 'green' companions. Each mode has it benefits and disadvantages.

I've always cruised alone. Now that I'm in a 45 I find it a bit more difficult to dock. I've only had it for a year and am still working on my docking routine. When I leave the dock at the beginning of cruising season I usually stay out for 3 months at a time. I find it much easier to anchor and take the tender or kayak in to shore or the marina.

This season I have an electric bike that I intend on using to run to the store to resupply. I also want to do more exploring on it whether its an island or a small town. I'm really looking forward to 2019. I'm heading up to BC from Palo Alto in a couple of weeks. I've been keeping the boat up the Fraser River in Richmond, BC. It's a pain dealing with the current, bridge and loggers. Once I'm off of the river it's cruising time!

Eventually I'm going to run down the coast to Redwood City, CA where she'll live at West Point Harbor. That's when I'll start cruising the delta and do some coastal cruising down to Monterey, San Diego and eventually Mexico.

Alone as usual. That's the way I like it. For my first run down the coast I plan on hiring a captain to help. For 2019 it's the inside passage. In 2018 I put over 1300 nm exploring the San Juan's, Gulf Islands and got as far as Desolation Sound before heading back to Blaine, WA for phase 2 of upgrades to the boat. At the end of 2019 I'll run down to Blaine again for phase 3. 2020 will be the season that I run down the coast.

At least that's the plan. I find it very difficult to leave the PNW.

Last edited:
I've always cruised alone. Now that I'm in a 45 I find it a bit more difficult to dock. I've only had it for a year and am still working on my docking routine. When I leave the dock at the beginning of cruising season I usually stay out for 3 months at a time. I find it much easier to anchor and take the tender or kayak in to shore or the marina.

This season I have an electric bike that I intend on using to run to the store to resupply. I also want to do more exploring on it whether its an island or a small town. I'm really looking forward to 2019. I'm heading up to BC from Palo Alto in a couple of weeks. I've been keeping the boat up the Fraser River in Richmond, BC. It's a pain dealing with the current, bridge and loggers. Once I'm off of the river it's cruising time!

Eventually I'm going to run down the coast to Redwood City, CA where she'll live at West Point Harbor. That's when I'll start cruising the delta and do some coastal cruising down to Monterey, San Diego and eventually Mexico.

Alone as usual. That's the way I like it. For my first run down the coast I plan on hiring a captain to help. For 2019 it's the inside passage. In 2018 I put over 1300 nm exploring the San Juan's, Gulf Islands and got as far as Desolation Sound before heading back to Blaine, WA for phase 2 of upgrades to the boat. At the end of 2019 I'll run down to Blaine again for phase 3. 2020 will be the season that I run down the coast.

At least that's the plan. I find it very difficult to leave the PNW.

Sounds FAB! Purported to be a great line handler. I am available for adoption.

Last edited:
!

Im jealous- I grew up in RWC - where is West Point Harbor? The old Pete’s?

Im jealous- I grew up in RWC - where is West Point Harbor? The old Pete’s?

It's all the way at the end of Seaport Blvd., (Woodside Rd). Pete's is gone and replaced by a condo community. Very nice Condos.

Drive past the Port of Redwood City (on the left) and past the salt ponds (on the right and you will run in to an office park. Drive around the office park and you will see West Point Harbor on the other side. I believe it is the newest marina in the area. It's a beautiful, well run marina. There is a pump out connection between every two slips. Each boat has it's own slip (no sharing). That way you can wash both sides of your boat. They claim that there will eventually be dry-dock facilities and fuel but they have been spending money on litigation with the BCDC. The BCDC and other Bay Conservation organizations are doing their best to close down all boating related facilities in the San Francisco Bay Area. They are going after the boat yards too.

Dirtdoc- thanks for the catch up. I haven’t meandered over there since Pete’s was closed. I grew up just down Woodside Road on the Atherton side

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom