Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #41

City: Circleville, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sunset Lady
Vessel Model: 1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
We wear inflatables when docking or moving about topside in rough seas. An ounce of prevention.......

"Keep putting off till tomorrow, and you'll end up with a lot of empty yesterdays" Prof. Harold Hill
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #42
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Hardly ever, and we do not require if crew/passengers stay within the protect/confines of the boat, behind Portuguese bridge and stern solid railing. If a person has to go on the roof while underway, then they have to wear a vest, which happens very seldom. Being a live aboard at the dock we have never worn vests.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #43
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Northern Spy,

Once again you post a great post reply. The data from this paper is daunting but pretty clear. If you want to increase your chances of survival, wear a properly fitted PFD. A lot of info in that paper and worth examining.

Thanks!
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #44

City: Dayton, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawler Micki View Post
Nope.

Hint: it's something you do, not say....

First I would find out who fell over the side. Depending on their identity I might do one of the following:
1) Kill the engine, yell MOB and throw a flotation device
2) Review the life insurance policy for beneficiaries, double indemnity, that sort of thing
3) break out the bubbly, the WOW is gone!
4) Devise an explanation for how she got those prop marks on her head..

<relax, just kiddin'>
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #45
Guru

City: Georgia
I thought the first thing you did was shut the boat down, then check the head to see if they're puking their guts out from the rough seas......

Or do you guys not boat like I do?
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Bay Pelican is a mixture. We operate from the pilot house when underway and thus do not wear PFDs. In general the high gunnel on a Krogen 42 make it safe to go out on the back deck in calm conditions. Rare however that we do that.

We do wear PFDs if we go on deck, fore or aft at night, also day or night in any wave conditions where the boat is rolling at all, of if anyone has to go on the upper deck other than when anchored.

I generally wear a PFD if I go on the foredeck while underway (other than in an anchorage) regardless of conditions.

I do not wear a PFD during the day if I am raising anchor or setting the bridal, but in both cases we are already in the anchorage. We drop anchor from the pilot house.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #47

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Float coat in the winter. Float coveralls off shore in winter. Auto inflate if not in the ICW. Call me a wimp. I don't care. Life is too short.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #48
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron T View Post
Float coat in the winter. Float coveralls off shore in winter. Auto inflate if not in the ICW. Call me a wimp. I don't care. Life is too short.
Just look at the coast guard, law enforcement and any marine contractors they all wear PFD's anytime they are on the water.

Must be a reason?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron T View Post
Definitely not a wimp! Good for you.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #50
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
press the MOB button on the GPS so you can stay in the area.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #51

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
We wear auto-inflates whenever the boat is under way including docking and departing and whenever we are launching, running or recovering the dinghy.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #52
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Aboard Seaweed there is no one to put the engine in neutral should the worst occur so over both doorways in the pilothouse I have net (like the sailboat guys use around their boats)

I've heard of folks being waked, and going over the side. This way there's protection:

Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat
http://janice142.com/
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #53
Guru

How do you get in and out?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #54
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawler Micki View Post
Almost. Good stuff for sure! But before you do all that... and even more important than where you are is:

Where have you been?

Step #1 - Look at the compass.

Ahh - I skipped over the correct answer.

!00% agree.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #55
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
If your dinghy outboard has a cut out cable to attach to your clothing, use it. We had a recent death here from a fast circling boat hitting occupants tipped into the water.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #56

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Micki
Vessel Model: 42' Grand Banks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Ahh - I skipped over the correct answer.

!00% agree.
Thanks AusCan,

In case anyone else skipped over let me repeat:

You're at the helm and it's been discovered that someone aboard MAY be missing. You don't have a chart plotter or it isn't turned on. What's the VERY FIRST thing you do? Answer: Look at the compass.

Assuming you're under power on anything wider than a 200 ft canal, there can be no other answer. Your first thought must be what course is the boat headed - otherwise how would you know which way is back?

An action I train is to spit on a finger and mark the compass in the exact opposite direct the boat is headed; since short term memory can go blank as panic escalates (I imagine some thinking they wouldn't panic - but - everyone panics at some point). Good that all aboard are trained this way, and frequent guests reminded regularly.

If there's any doubt about taking the advice of a TF newbie/anonymous boating thread troll then please do this: Next time you're in 1- 2' seas throw out a bright orange PDF and turn the boat around in 5 or 10 minutes to find it (without a compass or bread-crumb plotter). It'll make you a believer

Safety. In the hierarchy of what matters which comes first: Flotation assistance or being retrieved? Hint: The answer isn't that simple.
Trawler Micki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #57
Veteran Member

City: Espoo
Vessel Name: Carpe Diem
Vessel Model: Storebro 34
My boat does not move without pfd's on everyone aboard. It doesn't matter what the weather is like or how experienced crew I have. If you don't wear pfd's you are not coming with me... Simple, has always been like that and will always be so... It's the same with seatbelts in a car..
tiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
How do you get in and out?
Hello Beachbum... Fender hooks hold the netting to the frame of the doorways so it's rather simple to remove. Mostly though I leave it up. It secures the mosquito screen in place too.

Because I live off the grid (at anchor 350+ days a year) being safe and comfortable is important to me. Thus the wind gen, solar panels, etc. And soon (this coming week! -- I'm beyond excited) a new to me MD11C diesel for my girl. Life's great afloat.

No more 350 block Chevy (in a 23' displacement hull mini-trawler!! -- heavy pharmaceuticals must have been involved in that decision) and the reconditioned Borg Warner goes too. That part hurts (paid $1100 for the tranny re-work over on the east coast in Jax)

Still, I'm going to have a diesel -- (smiling at my good fortune)
Five years on, my home is shaping up right nicely!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post

Hello Beachbum... Fender hooks hold the netting to the frame of the doorways so it's rather simple to remove. Mostly though I leave it up. It secures the mosquito screen in place too.

Because I live off the grid (at anchor 350+ days a year) being safe and comfortable is important to me. Thus the wind gen, solar panels, etc. And soon (this coming week! -- I'm beyond excited) a new to me MD11C diesel for my girl. Life's great afloat.

No more 350 block Chevy (in a 23' displacement hull mini-trawler!! -- heavy pharmaceuticals must have been involved in that decision) and the reconditioned Borg Warner goes too. That part hurts (paid $1100 for the tranny re-work over on the east coast in Jax)

Still, I'm going to have a diesel -- (smiling at my good fortune)
Five years on, my home is shaping up right nicely!
Sounds very cool. We are transitioning onboard as we speak. No solar panels or wind generator but that will happen on our next boat which will most certainly be a trawler.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Sounds very cool. We are transitioning onboard as we speak. No solar panels or wind generator but that will happen on our next boat which will most certainly be a trawler.
I bought Seaweed 5.5 years ago and over time have added a lot to make her more comfortable. For a soloist, she's just about perfect (except for the stuff that needs fixing)

The family home (was conceived, born and raised aboard a 40' sedan cruiser) was all I knew until I grew up and married a land lubber. (What was I thinking?!?) It was natural that I'd return to the water. Because I knew that over time boats can be remade into what you wish, I was not afraid to buy a boat that wasn't totally suitable and have had a lot of fun making her mine.

There is absolutely nothing so fine as life aboard, provided you pick the right boat to start with. Any ideas about what your Dream Boat will be? And where will you cruise?