Old 09-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #41
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
This may sound like a strange question, but how many and what btu air conditioners do you run on a regular basis and how many hours a day do you run them when not at the dock?
3 reverse cycle AC units. Don’t know the btu’s. We plan to be on the hook a lot and we will most likely be using them nearly all the time.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #42
Guru

Why are marine generators sooooo expensive??? I can get a 10 kw home generator for $2k!!!
Old 09-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #43
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Great video. But they spent $16,000?!?!?!
That number includes the generator purchase itself plus the optional sound shield and some extra prep work.
That’s typical unless you can do it yourself.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #44

City: Kiln,MS
Quote:
Why are marine generators sooooo expensive??? I can get a 10 kw home generator for $2k!!!
You pay for what you get. 2k for a home gen is going to be a pos genajunk more than likely. Get the extended warranty because you're going to need it.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #45
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I rebuilt the Mitsubishi K3D on my Westerbeke 8.0. Had to remove the head to get it out and back in place. While out a replaced the bearing on the armature, it was almost gone, no lubricant and rusty. It was probably a good thing the engine needed work because rebuilding it was cheaper than the cost of the gen end if the bearing failed. Unit weighs @460 lbs and it starts, runs fine and puts out good power. I lost a good portion of the season without it but still anchored out using a Honda 2000 to power everything except the AC units.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #46

City: Washington
Our boat came to us without a generator. A previous owner appears to have removed it for a reason unknown to us. We had Gallery Marine in Seattle put in a 7.6 kw Westerbeke a few years ago. All in, we were at $18k and change for the job. Extra things like a water/exhaust separator, and some other doodads probably accounted for $2k of the total cost.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:55 PM   #47
Guru

Wow. This is depressing. Hey how about some stories about how you cheaply you replaced or rebuilt a genny? I need some of those stories right about now.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:47 PM   #48

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
We had a non-starting issue with our northern lights. Started running numbers and came to about 15k for a 5 kw unit. Decided to pull the head on the old one. Found excessive carbon buildup which kept valves from closing correctly. Had head rebuilt, new valves, new heat exchanger. Came to about 4k. Cheaper than new, Runs great now. Make a point of always running it with a load and keeping it running for at least an hour each time I start it. So far no problem. Still cheaper than a new one.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #49
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Quote:
Wow. This is depressing. Hey how about some stories about how you cheaply you replaced or rebuilt a genny? I need some of those stories right about now.

Well, mine cost 8k, it’s a 19kw kohler with sound shield, used with 2,000 hours. It took a day to pull and replace, I have a friend that owes me some money so he is doing all the work for payment
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Well, mine cost 8k, it’s a 19kw kohler with sound shield, used with 2,000 hours. It took a day to pull and replace, I have a friend that owes me some money so he is doing all the work for payment
Where did you find the generator and how did you verify it was healthy?
Old 09-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #51
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I have a good relationship with the diesel shop down the road, they rebuilt my 6/71’s, I put the word out I would be in the market for a new/used generator and they found one, the rest is on faith. If it has problems I’ll deal with them as they show up
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #52

City: Newnan
The folks on Y-Not were advised by their marine mechanic that they could throw money at the old generator with no guarantee that it would work with any reliability. They run tech based businesses and need dependable power for their businesses. They did select a smaller generator because they plan to install solar panels in the near future. Sometimes, you have to quit messing around and pay up.
Orvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #53

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Did turnkey replacement old 7kw Onan for new 9kw NL. New ply base on out. Genset and accessories 12k professional remove and install 10k. Very quiet no vibration. Prefer it to shore P now ...sweet upgrade came out better than anticipated.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote