Old 05-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #21
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Can’t something like this be mounted in between the baffles of the original tanks?

This is just an example of what I’m talking about.

https://greatlakesskipper.com/moelle...poly-46-gallon

Just under 200 gallons for less than $1500.

Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #22
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Every boat is different. When I replaced fuel tanks the boat was 35 years old. The tanks were aluminum, they sat on a flat surface with a layer of a tarred paper between the tank and surface. Problem was after 35 years the boat had developed many unknown rain leaks. Water managed to run down the side of the tank and worked its way between the tank and the water barrier. Result, bottom rotted out.

Now as for cutting the top off the tank. Tank would have need removing to insert a plastic tank, at that point the cost of a new tank was not vary significant.

In both my aviation world and my car racing world we use fuel cells. Fuel cells are like bladders with foam inside to act as baffles. I could hav made a 1 foot radius hole in the side of the tank and stuffed a custom made fuel cell in. Problem is the cost of a two hundred gallon fuel cell was astronomical and I need two.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #23

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
replaced both tanks on my Jefferson 45.started leaking after I had tanks cleaned after fuel polishing showed lots of crud in tank.Think picking a scrab inside tank then leaking thru. Welder was able to repair first leak near edge.next leak was under on bottom. Set up Aframe in saloon lifted engine over other while putting in tank, same with other. had to reduce size so tanks would fit thru rear window. did replacement in two weeks with help from friends that I gave fuel to. lots of work but saved big $$$$$. look closely at edges and wipe hand/rag on edges and floor near tanks. there will be a wet trail from tanks to bilge. boat is now for sale if you don't buy that one.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #24
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
A common place for rusting is below the deck filler fitting. The caulking goes bad and water drips onto the top of the tank. The tank should also have a non absorbant spacers under the tank so water under the tank can dry out. .
Easier solution is to have fillers in the cabin sides.
Ours are about 3 ft up and hoses hidden in cupboards.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckape View Post
replaced both tanks on my Jefferson 45.started leaking after I had tanks cleaned after fuel polishing showed lots of crud in tank.Think picking a scrab inside tank then leaking thru. Welder was able to repair first leak near edge.next leak was under on bottom. Set up Aframe in saloon lifted engine over other while putting in tank, same with other. had to reduce size so tanks would fit thru rear window. did replacement in two weeks with help from friends that I gave fuel to. lots of work but saved big $$$$$. look closely at edges and wipe hand/rag on edges and floor near tanks. there will be a wet trail from tanks to bilge. boat is now for sale if you don't buy that one.
Can you send me more info for your boat?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:24 PM   #26

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
listed with Curtis and stokes, on yacthworld 1986 45"Jefferson " Silver Gift" twin perkins , 7.5 gen in fort Lauderdale now.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 PM   #27
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
I replaced a 100 gallon tank on our 1981 Prairie 36. You can read the detail here starting with post #20. http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...nts-25815.html

Total cost was just over $6,000 including $900 for the new aluminum tank.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckape View Post
listed with Curtis and stokes, on yacthworld 1986 45"Jefferson " Silver Gift" twin perkins , 7.5 gen in fort Lauderdale now.
I just searched yatchworld and Curtis and Stokes and couldn’t find it.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #29
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
I just searched yatchworld and Curtis and Stokes and couldn’t find it.
I just found it on Yachtworld. Advanced search, Jefferson, 45’ to 45’, 1986 to 1986 and it pulled up 2 boats, one of which is the one in question. Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I just found it on Yachtworld. Advanced search, Jefferson, 45’ to 45’, 1986 to 1986 and it pulled up 2 boats, one of which is the one in question. Good luck.
The advanced search did it. Not sure why but it did.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #31
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
No problem. I almost always use the advanced search.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:18 AM   #32

City: PNW/Seattle-ish
Vessel Name: M/V Peter Iredale ;)
Vessel Model: rusting hulk
Quote:
The advanced search did it. Not sure why but it did.
Off topic, but possibly helpful. I noticed recently why this happens as I do many searches educating myself on the market, makes, etc.

When you do a general search, it appears to me that once it finds something that matches your parameters, it then only finishes searching within the boat type of that first result.

E.g. - if it encounters a Hatteras in “flybridge,” even if you didn’t make that a search criteria, it then looks only in that category and misses any that are in “aft cabin,” “trawler,” etc. Since the type categorization is very haphazard in their listings, this is a poor way their search was designed.

Becuase of this flaw in their search algorithm it is why you need to use ‘advanced search’ and leave the boat type blank. I finally noticed this after wondering why I often couldn’t re-locate boats I knew where there.
Civilitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:53 AM   #33
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
Quote:
Can’t something like this be mounted in between the baffles of the original tanks?

This is just an example of what I’m talking about.

https://greatlakesskipper.com/moelle...poly-46-gallon

Just under 200 gallons for less than $1500.

This has quite a bit to offer for ease of install and longevity. Lets say you have rotten steel tanks, you then cut out the exposed wall. Drop in PE tanks between baffles.
You will now have maybe 8x 70 gallon tanks. This will leave more numerous fill, vent and pickup hosing. Plus gauging.
You may also be as busy as a 707 flight engineer managing these tanks.
BUT, it does make it easier to do a day tank arrangement.
No engine pulls, hull cuts, or custom tanks.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:15 AM   #34
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Cut out the steel tanks........PIA but not that bad....... and get the storage space, the ability to instantly see the fuel levels and lose the flaking rust.

All I had to do is remove a deck support post in front of the tanks on both sides of the engine room (single engine).

The biggest challenge is seeing what off the shelf tank (if saving money is a high priority) will sqeeze back in after the tanks are cut out but you dont want to cut or move anything else.

Worth every penny and depending on the spaces left by the other tanks, there are larger off the shelf tanks. I have 2, 58 gallon baffled tanks that cost less than $700 shipped.

They actually hold about 60 gallons and I have a nominal 300NM range with them and plenty reserve.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #35
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
An often overlooked issue is why do metal fuel tanks begin leaking? Low boat hours and lousy install high on the list. Secondly, if outside water getting on tank exteriors can it be detected?

As boat searching ramps up, high on the list should be two things. One, are the bilges bone dry? If not, where is the water coming from and why. This is one of many reasons I prefer dripless shaft seals. Any bilge water can be detected and quickly remedied.

Secondly, are tank tops viewable? If top not viewable and fresh water in bilge following a heavy rain or wash, be concerned.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #36
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Why not have tanks coated with polyurethane or line-X or polyurea so the metal exterior can not get wet?

Waterproof and oil proof and very tough is polyurea coating.

Even if the tank rotted from the inside, it will remain liquid tight.

Diesel or Gasoline, has no effect on this polyurea strength. Look on page 8.
http://www.huntsman.com/polyurethane...ea%20Spray.pdf

And another, shows gasoline and diesle recommended for use with their polyurea. Polyurea just seems to be a solution here to preventing even old tank from leaking, so could be used to repair old leaky tanks..
http://www.sealboss.com/polyurea%20r...ce%20chart.pdf
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #37
Guru

City: LI or Fla
One tank started leaking shortly after purchase, was below teak deck, cut along seam and up tight on either end and removed like a big hatch, removed tank and brought to a shop specializing in marine fuel tanks, week later picked up and replaced. Two years later the other one went. At the time of the first I would not have saved anytime by doing two as each was a separate hatch cut.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
There are so many variables on why tanks fail. If I were to buy a 30 year old boat, that had the original tanks, I'd either walk away or ask for a discount.

Hobo's tanks were coated and from what we could see they looked good. The insides were OK. We had some rust on the top by the fills but not enough to cause any concern. Why'd the tank fail, poor/sloppy installation. The engineering was solid with the front lip raised to allow any water to run forward to a limber hole but when the top deck was installed, they never cleaned the sawdust from to deck beams and floor fabrication. The sawdust held water against the the lip and the tank rusted form the outside in (3rd pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank 3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	76418   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	76419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank 1.jpg
Views:	48