Old 10-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #141
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Heck ......had a sailboat almost TBone me today in the Chesapeake.

He was over taking me by about 2 knots. Didn't notice him till he was abeam me and his leeway had him on a collision course for sure.

He was upwind of me on a close haul about 40 feet abeam and would have paralleled my course except for the leeway....he only could wind up closer unless he fell off behind me which would have been easy for a very long time.

But he pressed on till even I had to make a radical turn away from him but not so much I didn't keep enough advance if he fell off behind me.

Finally he was just about bow to bow and fell off which meant he was 90 degrees and 20 feet or so away. He missed my stern by about 5 to10 feet.

Being the stand on vessel I couldn't believe he couldn't fall off behind me a tad sooner or slack a sail to slow and fall behind when it got really tight.

Just another clueless sailor who pressed his ,"I am a sailing vessel" mentality into extremis with a 6 knot powerboat.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #142
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchnsaw View Post
Someone was right or can we say someone was wrong, and someone is dead to rights no matter what the so called rules to the road states. Its not cut and dry. Someone screwed up in this fishing boat and pleasure yacht collision.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...498804841.html
People screw up, they make mistakes. The only thing that prevents more accidents on the road and water is that most take two people screwing up and so when any of us do make mistakes, someone else bails us out. I'd say the collision above is like 90% of them, both made mistakes, just one more egregious than the other.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #143
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Somebody screwed up for sure. How does a 332’ yacht and a 65’ charter boat collide? The charter boat was just leaving SD so the crew should have been fresh.

Here’s what the USCG put out.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...hnO0rD1fKh0yrM
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:52 PM   #144
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeside View Post
Wow, I got dizzy reading all the opinions on who has the right of way. Most of the opinions are true in a vacuum or textbook sense. My own rule has served me well (knock on wood) for 52 years on the water....know who has the right of way long before you get too close, but never insist on your right of way, because the ultimate rule is to avoid collisions. With big commercial vessels in tight quarters...I simply stay as far away as possible...
As I tell anyone at the helm on my boat: "Yes, you have the right-of-way, but assume he doesn't know that."
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:58 PM   #145
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Finally he was just about bow to bow and fell off which meant he was 90 degrees and 20 feet or so away. He missed my stern by about 5 to10 feet.
A sailboat beating to weather doesn't want to give up any ground that is hard won. Sailboat helmsman (any that have ever raced anyway) would not consider 15 feet a close pass. He just ducked you when he knew he had to. On a powerboat you can simply turn the wheel to go where you want. Not so on a sailboat. This is exactly why they have the right of way (in many situations).
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:21 AM   #146
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
A sailboat beating to weather doesn't want to give up any ground that is hard won. Sailboat helmsman (any that have ever raced anyway) would not consider 15 feet a close pass. He just ducked you when he knew he had to. On a powerboat you can simply turn the wheel to go where you want. Not so on a sailboat. This is exactly why they have the right of way (in many situations).
If you have never sailed, or raced a sailboat, you may be forgiven for thinking this is close. The reality for sailors is: any close maneuver that doesn't result in a touch, is only close, not "too close". Racing rules allow for protests, when there is an actual collision (touch). Many, (or all) sailors, bring the racing rules to casual sailing. When you see a sail boat (not under power) in your "stand on" zone, always think they will treat a mere power boater as a second class opponent, with no rights. whatsoever.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:13 AM   #147
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I have raced sailboats and manuevered commercial vessels in tight situations ..I understand the concept of "close" when necessary.

Had I not turned, he would have hit me..... That was unacceptable.

There was no need for a ten foot miss in completely open water.

He just didn't do what he should of done.

Which I think is the main topic in the thread.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote