Who designates no wake zones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hi All,

Does anyone know which agency in Florida designates official no wake zones for the ICW?

I'm considering reaching out about Peck Lake, near Stuart, Florida. It's a very popular anchorage, there were 32 boats in it when we left last Sunday, that gets users in all sorts of vessels from pontoon boats going to the beach up through larger transient cruising boats working their way up or down the ICW. Good depth, good shelter, pretty good scenery, good beach access, a solid place.

Except the wakes there are downright dangerous.

What exacerbates the situation is that the ICW is slow speed minimum wake for roughly 2 miles north of the anchorage and about 2 miles south of the anchorage. The 1/4 mile directly in front of the anchorage is 25 mph in the channel.

On top of just being odd, this encourages a certain type of boater to throttle up right in front of the anchorage, throw a huge wake for a minute or two, then slow down.

Not to be a Karen, but what can be done? Any ideas?

anchor 2 miles north or 2 miles South?

Seriously though....As a small boater, I've seen far too many of these no wake zones that stretch out far too long with no real obvious reason for them. That what I thought this thread was going to be

My guess would be FWC. I'm with you on Peck Lake but getting buy-in from the locals (who also make the wakes) might be a bit tough.

anchor 2 miles north or 2 miles South?

Seriously though....As a small boater, I've seen far too many of these no wake zones that stretch out far too long with no real obvious reason for them. That what I thought this thread was going to be

I'm also a small boater, I was an inshore fishing guide for 13 years, so I feel you on the wake zones, a lot of them are set under the guise of manatee protection. But this one just doesn't make any sense.

Peck lake is the only area for a good long stretch of the ICW that offers the protection and depth to be a good anchorage. Also, there is a state park there.

The biggest danger is honestly to the small local boats that beach there to walk across to the Atlantic side. Last year when we were there we saw two CCs and a pontoon get thrown completely up into the mangroves by a wake, they had to be pulled off by tow boat US. Someone is going to get caught under a boat there someday, if it hasn't happened already.

As owner of a boat in-part chosen for it's ability to throw up a comparatively very mild wake, as well as prior owner of a a string of small sailboats ending with a 28' cruising yawl, I have NO SYMPATHY AT ALL for hull types that raise wakes of considerable height. Deep-V hulls are the type that generally can be counted upon to cause a rukus with their wakes, and as far as I'm concerned, deep-V are WAY too common. Sure, they're good for ocean racing, but there ain't no "ocean racing" happening on the ICW, nor on most inland waters across the USA.

I don't know this area at all....
& I've never really been a big wake kinda guy, or liked those go fast noisy boats good for nuthin but burnin gas
but I do think it's important to consider that folks need a place to ski, jetski, or whatever too

This may help...a line or two suggested state as well as locals could establish zones.

https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/wildlife/manatee/data-and-maps/

Of course it could be a locality requests it and the state approves, but the locals are required to post and enforce. Sorta like NDZs, states request, EPA approves but states generally enforce.

I don't know this area at all....
& I've never really been a big wake kinda guy, or liked those go fast noisy boats good for nuthin but burnin gas
but I do think it's important to consider that folks need a place to ski, jetski, or whatever too

100% agree. There are plenty of no wake zones that should not exist. But this particular area needs one, and there are lots of places around Stuart to jetski or water ski.

It's not really the small boats that cause an issue there. I think no wake for any boat over maybe 25' would work there.

The most fun is the ICW folks that steal a Manatee Zone sign to stick in their yard.

The best sign was a couple of miles south , a sailboat had a big sign,

"He that makith a wake knows not his father."

Last edited:
Who designates a 'no wake' zone?
DNR, with input from the local community.

Yes Dan but I would add “with high levels” of input from the local community.

But there may be “not obvious” reasons. Mostly erosion at beach level. Don’t remember a speed limit in Swinomish Channel just north of LaConner Wa until lots of houses were built on the channel banks. Then the speed limit signs were posted and more recently .. enforcement.

It looks like the speed restrictions were implemented because property owners were whining at authorities.
But channel erosion may have been the real reason for the enforcement.
However there have been numerous signs posted “no wake” on beaches only in front of private homes.

Last edited:
Many times speed limits are posted on the ICW is because some boaters lack common sense and respect.
Same way on roads and highways.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom