White Spots on Teak Toe Rail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skipgundlach

Veteran Member
We keep our toe rail natural. However, there are several areas which have white spots on them.

Does anyone know what causes these, and if there's a cure you've successfully used, what is it?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Attachments

• ToeRailWhiteSpots2.JPG
    ToeRailWhiteSpots2.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 25
  • ToeRailWhiteSpots1.jpg
    ToeRailWhiteSpots1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 15
A fungal growth? This is simply a WAG. Never seen it that I can remember but maybe just never paid any attention.

Fungi can grow in some amazingly difficult areas.

Maybe try a lab that specializes in identifying growths or such.

I am going to GUESS that a Borax wash may help.

A fungal growth? This is simply a WAG. Never seen it that I can remember but maybe just never paid any attention.

Fungi can grow in some amazingly difficult areas.

Maybe try a lab that specializes in identifying growths or such.

I am going to GUESS that a Borax wash may help.

:thumb:
Looks a lot like the 20 year exposed cedar boards on my deck at home, sprouting all manner of white and black growy things. Just needs some TLC.

It gets gently soft-brushed with vinegar and water fairly often (months apart); it never changes. Lots of stuff we've looked at have negative outcomes, so we've not used them.

So far we've not discovered anything which will remove them.

It is hard to tell from the picture, but could that be old paint that soaked in through, such as where pre-existing underlying varnish, oil, or sealer was no more?

I like this product quite a bit. I don’t know about your white spots but it may be worth a try. This company supplies really premium teak deck products. There is a lot of info on their website that you may find some tips on your problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Teakdecking-...cphy=9033316&hvtargid=pla-1347865887581&psc=1

Thanks for the thought. I have a contact there (it's the caulk I use, now, for anything to seal involving teak and fiberglass), so I'll pose the question to him.

As to prior finishes, there has been no finish of any kind on the teak for about 15 years; we tried oil and abandoned it early on, after our expensive and laboriously prepped and applied AwlBrite peeled off shortly after application...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom