Old 09-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #21
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
As to home port, you can make it pretty much wherever you want to. When we kept our boat in California we home ported it in Tucson where we lived at the time. That way as we moved the boat around we didn’t feel the need to change the home port.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
On the West Coast Cal. ... require(s) vessels being registered even if they are documented, ...
No, California does not require state registration if the boat is USCG documented.

A documented boat is prohibited from displaying registration numbers on the bow.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
No, California does not require state registration if the boat is USCG documented.

A documented boat is prohibited from displaying registration numbers on the bow.

Even if you don't have to register the boat in CA, you still have to pay personal property tax on the boat to the county in which it is kept.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Just so you're aware, you may need to register in more than one state. For instance, if you register in Florida but then keep it in SC, you may be required to register there even if already registered in FL. Each state has a time limit. Now, I'm sure many here will tell you to ignore it or that they've never seen anyone ticketed for it.
I was audited by the State of CT. I bought a boat in CT, I live in NH. I registered the boat in NH. I kept the boat in CT. CT sent me an invoice for the sales tax, plus a penalty for each month the tax wasn't paid (18 months) between the purchase date and the audit date, PLUS monthly interest on the unpaid taxes.

By the time all was said done and paid, I paid the taxes to the state of CT, and the fines and interest equaled the taxes. so for me it was double the amount of taxes.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

This is true of all states, however many states still require registration of a documented vessel. Those states commonly have a registration sticker with a different color code for documented vessels, than state registered vessels. Those states require that you affix the sticker without the bow numbers.

This idea is you don't want to be burdened with multiple bow numbers else the boat starts to look like a floating bingo card.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #26

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Stella
Vessel Model: Seaton 56
We purchased an older boat in June and received the 90 day permit allowing transit to another state without paying Florida sales tax. Note that it is easier said than done:

> The permit application is provided in conjunction with a dealer or broker. Not sure if this is possible for a sale by owner.
> A notarized original form and a copy of the bill of sale must be submitted within 5 days of sale to the Florida Dept of Revenue.
> Within 10 days of departure from Florida you must provide proof - invoice for fuel, marina, etc. from another state.
> Within 30 days of departure you must provide proof of registration outside of Florida.
> Permit stickers are mailed to the dealer/broker who is supposed to apply them to the boat.

Link to form: http://floridarevenue.com/Forms_libr...t/gt500003.pdf

We heard of a time extension if you are in a Florida boatyard for repairs but could not find confirming documentation.

Not difficult, just more forms and deadlines.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDF File.pdf (540.1 KB, 14 views)
DCDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #27
Guru

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
By the time all was said done and paid, I paid the taxes to the state of CT, and the fines and interest equaled the taxes. so for me it was double the amount of taxes.[/QUOTE]

Too bad you were not in (boat) tax free Rhode Island then!

Rob
Old 09-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #28

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
USCG Documented really only means that is where it is Titled, not "Registered".

South Carolina:
-> Sales Tax: 5% with $300 cap
-> Personal Tax: yes

Personal property tax is collected annually on cars, trucks, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, boats and airplanes. Personal cars, light trucks and motorcycles are assessed at 6 percent of market value.

-----------------------------------
South Carolina:
Cap is now $500. Horry County (Myrtle Beach) allows 180 day stay without paying property tax.

Or register in Delaware. No sales tax.
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #29
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Got it. Clear as mud.

So if I’m understanding correctly, FL has a one time sales tax. SC has only a $500 sales tax but I’ll be paying property tax every year? So pay now or pay later??

Florida long term sounds a lot cheaper.

I’d love to register in delaware but being that the boat will never be up there, I don’t see how I could get away with it. Right?
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:48 PM   #30

City: FT.Pierce, Fl
Vessel Name: Tuna Talk
Vessel Model: CC Tournament 30
I'm pretty sure Delaware requires proof of residency to register your boat there.
Jim Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #31
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
https://www.delreg.com/yadv.cfm

This is intended to give you enough to ask google all of the right questions. I have no knowledge of the company in the link. Never done business with them. Don't know anything about them.

Delaware is worth a look.

I read some threads here that mentioned ease of clearing between Canada and the US due to place of registration. Might be worth a look too.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post
https://www.delreg.com/yadv.cfm

This is intended to give you enough to ask google all of the right questions. I have no knowledge of the company in the link. Never done business with them. Don't know anything about them.

Delaware is worth a look.
Good link. However, Delaware ownership of a boat does not relieve one from an obligation to register it in other states.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #33
Guru

If you take your Delaware registered boat to a state with sales tax for any time longer than that states maximum days, they will likely come after you for the tax. I know Michigan does. If you can’t show that you paid sales tax and you have your boat in Michigan they will hit you up for the tax. I think the best way is just to bite the bullet and pay sales tax somewhere.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The name is on the stern of the boat .. not your butt. “Home Port” is where the boat resides. Has nothing to do w where the owner or owners reside. IMO

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
The name is on the stern of the boat .. not your butt. “Home Port” is where the boat resides. Has nothing to do w where the owner or owners reside. IMO
Home Port, as in the documentation, has nothing to do with where the boat resides either. It's just a place you selected.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Home Port, as in the documentation, has nothing to do with where the boat resides either. It's just a place you selected.
+1. Absolutely. Read the CG website as to where you can home port, basically anywhere you want.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #37
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
+1. Absolutely. Read the CG website as to where you can home port, basically anywhere you want.
Really? Because insurance is very clear it needs to be in home port more than half of the year.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #38
Guru

The CG home port does not have anything to do with your insurance. You tell your insurance company where the boat is located and they base the premium on that location. That location does not have to be the “home port” per the documentation. We had a previous boat home ported in Tucson, AZ and the boat never spent one minute in Arizona. It was docked in California. Go to the CG documentation web site and read it. You will learn how it works.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Really? Because insurance is very clear it needs to be in home port more than half of the year.
Two very different things. Insurance is referring to the location you've indicated it stays, not documentation. Now, I haven't ever seen that on an insurance policy so you really have something unique. But Home Port on documentaion, you can choose any location listed in the Postal files of places.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:10 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
I just read my insurance policy. It does not say anything about having to be at any “home port” for any amount of time. What mine does say is that while afloat the boat must be within the specified cruising limits of the policy, which for my policy is the Inland Waters and the Great Lakes. So I can have it listed at ported in the marina behind my house and have it anywhere on the inland waters or the great lakes. The marina address is my home address because we keep the boat behind our house on the river. Maybe you are reading more into your policy than is there or you have an unusual policy.