Where is OC Diver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was wondering that just the other day. I hope that he is well. Always enjoyed his contribution.

MarineTraffic shows Slow Hand in the lake Champlain area.

Where's our wandering Russian?
Hard at work on his salvaged boat?

I will try and check with him later today.

Ted posted interesting comments about his Slow Hand projects,I miss reading them.

Greetings,
Mr. D. "...Slow Hand projects..." Indeed! I've "stolen" a couple of his modifications for my own use but I always admit stealing them from Mr. OC. Thanks Mr. OC.

He is alive and well, headed down yhe Hudson River...he called me after a text to him and was just south of Albany, NY.

Glad to hear he is well. He just so abruptly disappeared that I thought maybe something serious had happened to him.

Any one know the were OC Diver disappeared to?

So why did I leave?

Was very busy this winter. Sold my charter boat. My wife and I received an unsolicited offer on our Maryland home and had to clean out 25 years of living. My brothers, sister and I sold my parents home, 49 years of family treasures. Then there was planning the summer cruise. I was overwhelmed.

Then one day, one of my posts was deleted. It probably should have been, but the clean up crew left the one I was responding to. Was tired of the lack of political balance. Thought about it more, and was tired of all the non boating related crap that was becoming a large percentage of the posts (IMO). At that point, Covid had been going on for 15 months and was sucking the Oxygen out of the forum as few were cruising.

In all fairness, I was as much to blame as anyone else. It's like going to your favorite restaurant and finding out they're constantly out of your favorite entrees. So you keep ordering stuff you really aren't interested in..... because you like the restaurant. I needed to develop the discipline to get up and leave when the forum didn't have what I wanted. Thought it would be best to leave for a while and establish some new use guidelines.

Went cruising to Lake Champlain this summer and had a blast! Maybe I'll post a thread on Champlain cruising.

Here are some tease pics:

20210901_061355.jpg

20210704_150417.jpg

20210904_175233.jpg

20210821_132732.jpg

20210821_132332.jpg

20210724_134404.jpg

20210730_111353.jpg

20210730_120733.jpg

20210730_113210.jpg

20210902_135500.jpg

Ted

Last edited:
Cool photos, and great to see the way the side-wheeler Ticonderoga has been preserved and made accessible. Museum ships are more educational when the whole vessel can be seen and approached, out of the water. That way children and uninitiated grownups can better grasp how ships move and navigate through the water.

Safe travels.

So why did I leave?

Then one day, one of my posts was deleted. It probably should have been, but the clean up crew left the one I was responding to. Was tired of the lack of political balance. Thought about it more, and was tired of all the non boating related crap that was becoming a large percentage of the posts (IMO). At that point, Covid had been going on for 15 months and was sucking the Oxygen out of the forum as few were cruising.

In all fairness, I was as much to blame as anyone else. It's like going to your favorite restaurant and finding out they're constantly out of your favorite entrees. So you keep ordering stuff you really aren't interested in..... because you like the restaurant. I needed to develop the discipline to get up and leave when the forum didn't have what I wanted. Thought it would be best to leave for a while and establish some new use guidelines.

Ted

Well said Ted. I too sort of lost interest and quit posting our cruising, really didn’t seem to be much interest in our travels. As you said, more interest in non boating stuff.

Stay busy my friend and enjoy the cruising.

Cheers!!!

I have noticed one or two of my lengthy post disappear. Maybe I forgot to "Post Quick Reply"
I have 'backed out' of a few forums because thing kept getting repeated or "my way is better than your way." And then I backed out of the anchor forum because nothing was being settled.

OC Diver, just glad you are in good health. Miss your boating related posts.

I am becoming very selective about what posts I will even read anymore so I understand the frustrations.

Is the last photo your parents house? Lol! If my dirt house had that many squares, I’d sell it too!

I have been AIS stalking you all summer Ted. I am jealous. You will probably beat me south as usual. If not I will be stalking and know where Slow Hand is[emoji6]
I have the same TF affliction.

Glad you're well. We loved Champlain the time we passed through.

As for the forum, I'm finding this one stays relatively on-topic, compared to many. I have developed the ability to tune out any political posts and threads, so maybe that's part of it.

I hope you'll keep us updated on your travels and travails. And learn to skip over any bickering.

Was anchored North of Ellis Island (Statue of Liberty area in New York City). Saw Sailor of Fortune's work boat (Atlantic Salvor) go by, but don't know if he was on board (no response to text message).

20210908_154909.jpg

Left this morning at 5:30 AM to take advantage of a weather window and the outgoing tidal current (2+ knots). Try to visualize limited darkness, light rain, ships heading to sea, tugs moving all about the harbor, Statten Island ferry SHIPS, water taxis, and the 32 knot 100' commuter ferries. It's not for the faint of heart. Waiting till later in the morning only eliminates the darkness and adds more players. Radar with AIS interface is a godsent!

Heading down the NJ coast to Manasquan inlet for a long weekend with friends.

Ted

Glad you had a great summer! I also understand being overwhelmed. Sold my house of 18 years, bought a Viking 55’ wide body MY. Have 2 offers on southerly. Cruised the new boat 450 nm from Longboat Key to palm coast. The refit has started.

Can’t wait to hear more of your summer adventure. Welcome back.

Is the last photo your parents house? Lol! If my dirt house had that many squares, I’d sell it too!

That was my parents guest house.

Actually, that's the Farm Barn at Shelburne Farms. The courtyard in the center (opposite side) is over 4 acres.

Ted

I have been AIS stalking you all summer Ted. I am jealous. You will probably beat me south as usual. If not I will be stalking and know where Slow Hand is[emoji6]
I have the same TF affliction.

Dave,

You so need to take the wife and boat to Lake Champlain for a month or two! It's around 625 miles from Crisfield, MD to Burlington, VT (middle of the lake). Beats the heck out of making sawdust all summer!

Ted

Glad you had a great summer! I also understand being overwhelmed. Sold my house of 18 years, bought a Viking 55’ wide body MY. Have 2 offers on southerly. Cruised the new boat 450 nm from Longboat Key to palm coast. The refit has started.

Can’t wait to hear more of your summer adventure. Welcome back.

Congratulations on the sale of the house and purchase of the new boat! I'm guessing the new boat doesn't fit in the old slip. I'm going to need a tour through this slightly larger vessel :rolleyes: when I come through in November.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom