Old 09-20-2020, 02:50 PM   #1

City: Annapolis
where to move ?

Let's assume I have a job that allows me to work remotely as long as I have decent Internet. Let's also assume I plan to live aboard. Given the entire west coast, east coast, and gulf coast, where would you move ? I worry about hurricanes and winter. Flordia seems like a good choice. West coast seems near impossible to find live aboard. Thoughts from the experts out there?
nakika_guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Georgia or the Chesapeake bay would be my choices if not East Coast of Fl. Winter is real in Chesapeake bay though.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #3

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
East coast has some of the best cruising grounds, lots of the cities along the east coast are setup for boating so you can see a lot of cool towns and cities. It also gives you the ability to go to the Bahamas And keys with a short hop if you are on the southern part of it, that is if you like tropical islands. And most quality trawlers can island hop all the way down to the Caribbean. Depending on seaworthiness of boat can also do straight shots to the Caribbean and save a bunch of time if you are on any sort of time constraint, but the further you want to go without stopping and the more blue water Cruising you want to do The boats tend to get considerably more expensive.
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I've cruised the entire length of both coasts. I'd pick the PNW somewhere, further north being better up to a point. But everybody is different. A big question is, what do you like in your climate? If hot and humid is what you want, then the east coast from about LIS south will serve. Hot and dry, southern California. PNW is cool and a bit wet, without having a severe winter like the northern East Coast or Great Lakes.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Sorry, Florida is full.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
If you want to cruise to towns and cities, go East. If you want to cruise wilderness, go West.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I've lived on both coasts, North and South, and everybody's tastes are different (I don't like the cold or eternally wet), but I vote the East Coast, especially with a house that's mobile. If you don't like the weather or can't afford the locale for whatever reason, there are options available nearby that should satisfy.

Greg.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The problem with the west coast is there aren’t many areas to gunkhole except in the PNW. The east coast has them everywhere. West coast you harbor hop, east coast you can harbor hop or anchor out most everywhere. You can snowbird up and down the east coast so you pick your weather to some extent.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:31 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
This is a highly personal decision. Go take a look around first hand; the opinions on stuff like this from us anonymous strangers is worth every penny you pay for it.

Having had the privilege living and boating all over the USA, north, south east, west and in between, we can tell you there's plenty of opportunities to worry about something wherever you go, if worrying is your thing. So you can cross that off your list of parameters.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #10
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I'd be wandering somewhere between Cape Caution in BC to the top end of S.E. Alaska.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #11
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
The problem with the west coast is there aren’t many areas to gunkhole except in the PNW. ...
You've overlooked the California Delta. Bunches of gunkholing there. ...... If wishing a marina, be a "transient." You are likely to be welcome for a week or so. Then move on, but if you have a good medical excuse, you are good for months.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #12
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I'd be wandering somewhere between Cape Caution in BC to the top end of S.E. Alaska.
Granted, wi-fi and cellular didn't even exist last time I was up there, but is there now "decent Internet" for someone working a job while cruising? I would have thought that would be tricky (but obviously you would know).

I guess once everyone leaves the cities (since everyone is now working remotely), we loners can circle back to those abandoned urban areas for some wide open spaces
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:38 PM   #13

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
What about inland rivers system? Kentucky Lake is pretty nice during hurricane season, then quick run down the TNTom to Gulf for winter spring season. Or north to the great lakes.
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:19 AM   #14
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
The problem with the west coast is there aren’t many areas to gunkhole except in the PNW. The east coast has them everywhere.
Except, the PNW is an area as large as the entire east coast, with many times the coastline. And a tiny fraction of the population. Kinda like Maine except 1000 miles of it, not just 150 (and thankfully, no lobster pots).

If you need steady fast internet though, you'll have to wait until Starlink is operational. I've found some places where there wasn't even GPS reception.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:40 AM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Fort Lauderdale.

Let's see....none of us know what you like, what you dislike, anything about you and you're asking us to tell you where you should live? I mean with your name I'd say the Gulf of Mexico, but then I don't know if your name means what I think it does or not. Since Internet is very important, perhaps TN as that's where Al Gore lived and he invented it. Someone did wisely suggest not limiting it to coasts and considering rivers.

I consider Fort Lauderdale Paradise but then had I moved instead to the Virgin Islands I'd probably think of them in the same way and my tastes are likely very different than yours. Would love to hear more about you and what is important in your decision other than internet.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:30 AM   #16
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Sort of depends on what flavor of liveaboard you're looking at. Stealth/Cruiser mode can probably rotate between marinas, albeit at transient rates. But if you want a car, bicycles, and a van to store junk in, then you definitely need a full liveaboard marina. I've lived aboard in three marinas in San Francisco Bay area, a notoriously difficult place to find liveaboard slips. My favorite by far was a non-liveaboard marina.

As far as where - we chose St Pete Florida. We both work remote and Florida does not levy state income tax, a healthy raise coming from San Francisco. Being remote workers, we are in search of Endless Summer: Winter in Florida, summer in Colorado.

Oh, one potential fly-in-ointment: Internet access at marina's is rarely adequate for business-level work. If your work requires Zoom calls (or even voice-over-internet), you will be frustrated.

Good luck in your search and decisions.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:27 AM   #17
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
This is a really open ended request. There are just too many choices.

I could argue to decide what you will tolerate on the following and go from there:

What is you limit for cold/hot weather?

What is your tolerance for crowds?

What is your tolerance for high costs?

Is live aboard a must?

Answering those will be a start. Just the liveaboard one will narrow things significantly, and if that's a requirement, will there be any dirt home?

Most of the boating in the US is done on either coast or inland rivers, with a fair amount on the south east coast (gulf). So you can probably start there. Now, you could go to Alaska, too, as an option. The folks that live in those areas (especially if they've lived elsewhere) can give you good comments.

My experience is pretty much limited to the west coast of Florida, but lived and boated in the midwest for awhile, too. The goods of Florida: weather, good boating, reasonable costs. The bads of Florida: weather (hurricanes, tornados) expensive and CROWDS. My biggest complaint here is the crowds and in increased costs above the cost of living index.

The original question needs to be narrowed a LOT.

======

PS... unrelated: What do my posts come out with double spaces between paragraphs? Don't write that way.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #18
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Granted, wi-fi and cellular didn't even exist last time I was up there, but is there now "decent Internet" for someone working a job while cruising? I would have thought that would be tricky (but obviously you would know)...
Cell phones (at least out of Kitimat) are line of sight, so given the complexity of BC's north and central coasts and lack of communities, it's pretty much all a dead zone. Our teenaged daughter loves turning the corner when leaving town and her link to "all that drama" gets left behind. You won't even get marine radio reception in many inlets/channels.

If you wanted full time Internet, you'd have to splurge for a whiz-bang satellite setup.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #19

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
Check the people at "technomadia.com". Their business and hobby are remote computing and wireless access. They cruise a Bayliner 4788, and also an RV.
Good for equipment and plan selection.
JohnS
Old 09-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #20

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
Florida is full on the Gulf side.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote