where to move ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew she couldnt resist...very predictable.....like casting live shrimp.....:D

But I was hoping to keep it an inside joke for Floridians......:thumb:

Wifey B: I'm a tattle tale. :rofl:

Now, currently we have a more serious issue to discourage them, bars packed full of maskless people. Not quite as bad as the 1000 person party in Tallahassee near FSU. :eek::eek:

If you want to cruise to towns and cities, go East. If you want to cruise wilderness, go West.

On my bike ride a couple days ago, I spotted two bald eagles and one bobcat on the actual trail. 1/4 mile west of AIWW. Palm Coast.

All kidding aside.

When we talk hurricanes to the locals I tell them that we haven't had a hurricane near here since Dora in 1964.

They say "What about Matthew, Irma, Dorian....." Blah blah blah.

I ask them if we had hurricane strength winds come ashore from those?

Well, no. but we had flooding downtown.

I then ask them if they had to respond on a house or boat insurance application to the question of when the last hurricane hit the area what they would respond.

1964!

:) funny how that changes the bravado "I survived a hurricane" attitude!

On my bike ride a couple days ago, I spotted two bald eagles and one bobcat on the actual trail. 1/4 mile west of AIWW. Palm Coast.

Taken from the ICW in Atlantic Beach.

Attachments

• DSC_9415.jpg
    DSC_9415.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 40
Talking about Florida is like (sorta) talking about Alaska....too much to generalize.

Florida has multiple zones for everything....climate, terrain, vegetation, people, population and more...including hurricane strike probabilities (and a subset ....probable damage).

Saying Florida is often struck by hurricanes while technically correct...where you live can have way different probabilities and also probable types of damage.

Look at some good hurricane info on all the parts of Florida if you haven't and my guess is it will change your tune.

Last edited:
I guess 'wilderness' depends on your experience/frame of reference.

Hint: it can't be seen from a road, there are no fences, and it hasn't been damned, logged, farmed, or dredged.

Hint: it can't be seen from a road, there are no fences, and it hasn't been damned, logged, farmed, or dredged.

Sounds like parts of Miami!

If describing wilderness for me....spent 2 full years stationed on Kodiak and multiple trips to AK...all the way up to Nome and Aleutians.... Also Polar areas and Antarctica.

Been to BC too......and several times through the Inside Passage.

If describing wilderness for me....spent 2 full years stationed on Kodiak and multiple trips to AK...all the way up to Nome and Aleutians.... Also Polar areas and Antarctica.

Good point...to truly know wilderness, you have to have lived in it. Hard to get a real sense on a holiday.

Been to BC too......and several times through the Inside Passage.

I call the Inside Passage a treadmill...meandering off of it is highly recommended :thumb:

Last edited:
It seems a lot of true wilderness has this bad habit of containing energy sources such as water falls and oil. The prime examples seem to be Canadian hydro sites, our north slope, far north Vietnam, Columbia River, and no doubt places in Russia I am not familiar with.
Not including submerged sites in oceans.

Good point...to truly know wilderness, you have to have lived in it. Hard to get a real sense on a holiday.

I call the Inside Passage a treadmill...meandering off of it is highly recommended :thumb:

Hiked up to Diana Lake one night with 3 local girls from Prince Rupert and a shipmate of mine.... what happens in Prince Rupert stays in Prince Rupert though......:D

Hiked up to Diana Lake one night with 3 local girls from Prince Rupert and a shipmate of mine.... what happens in Prince Rupert stays in Prince Rupert though......:D

Duly noted. Won't even ask how many mosquitoes bites you got and where you got them ;)

Talking about Florida is like (sorta) talking about Alaska....too much to generalize.

Florida has multiple zones for everything....climate, terrain, vegetation, people, population and more...including hurricane strike probabilities (and a subset ....probable damage).

Saying Florida is often struck by hurricanes while technically correct...where you live can have way different probabilities and also probable types of damage.

Look at some good hurricane info on all the parts of Florida if you haven't and my guess is it will change your tune.

Very true. Thank you for making this clarifying point smartly.
I have lived in FL and have many friends that are or have lived around FL.
Thanks again for making a needed point.

Before we bought our home we checked in detail the history of hurricanes, the history of both winds and surge, and damage in the immediate area and we checked flood zones and maps. We also checked the hurricane worthiness of the house.

One needs to look at threats of natural occurrences wherever they're thinking of buying to, at the very least, be knowledgeable and know what to anticipate. This is especially true of any coastal area from Maine to Texas. Even 25 miles can make a huge difference. Just crossing the ICW can, the East side of it vs. the West. The barrier islands provide a lot of protection, especially as you get further from the inlets.

The information is easily available and rest assured the insurance companies have it. When the flood zones were refined, our flood insurance rates dropped to about 30% of what they had been.

Now, none of this means there won't be the a 100 year or 500 year event like never before but that's true anywhere. Your home can be hit by a tornado while the homes on either side are not touched. What you need to understand is what is likely and what isn't and what you need to do to prepare.

Regarding clues as to where to cruise and moor. Insurance actuarial provide a clue as to the risks and costs of boating in hurricane country. The threads on TF discussing boat and marina damage in hurricane country provide another clue.

Now all these young people behaving like young people and oldies flocking to bars. Ahh to be a FL non boater and just party on and not worry about winds, bugs, gators or moored boats. :dance:

[

Is there a mine at Kemano?

No, that's where the hydro electric powerhouse turbines are which generate electricity for the aluminum smelter in Kitimat.

They are drilling a new tunnel, so there is (kind of) mining activity at this time.

The obvious way to solve this is just to hop on Yacht World and start searching for boats. When you fall madly in love with one, you will know where you are going to start your adventure.

I lved in Annapolis, MD for five years. I lived in Broward County for three years. Annapolis and the Chesapekec are great, the half of the year it’s not too cold to boat. Florida is 12 month boating, with great boating areas, but life on the land there sucks. I frequently have to travel back there, and thirty minutes after I get back, I always remember why I left. The traffic is simply unbearable. I refuse to live that many hours of my life sitting in my car.

I now live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The cost of living is about half of Florida and Maryland. Traffic is non-existent. Everywhere I go, I see people I know. It’s Mayberry on the water. Hurricanes do show up, but you learn how to deal with those.

We can still be in the Bahamas in two weeks if we push it (4 days is our record). But, we never do as the trip to get there is as much fun as the destination.

Last edited:
The San Diego and Ensanada MX area has in my opinion the best climate on the planet.

If you are chasing the year round 70 degree life, these two places are it.

We looked at harbors in San Diego a few years ago and found that because of the large numbers of private marinas slips were always available. Liveaboard was a wait list at most places. We found that the marinas are well set up for distant boaters with the airport literally minutes from several mice marinas.

Ensenada has a couple of nice harbors at a lower price than San Diego and has live aboard slips available. I have not been to Ensenada but plan on exploring there in the near future.

Last edited:
If our town goes Ape$hit Crazy in an industrial way...Whaletown on Cortes Island or Quathiaski Cove on Quadra Island will be worth taking a close look at.

If we do, as a measure of crowd avoidance, we'd mostly boat north of Cape Caution during spring/summer/fall and cruise locally in winter.

If our town goes Ape$hit Crazy in an industrial way...Whaletown on Cortes Island or Quathiaski Cove on Quadra Island will be worth taking a close look at.

If we do, as a measure of crowd avoidance, we'd mostly boat north of Cape Caution during spring/summer/fall and cruise locally in winter.
The only reason your town (Kitimat, BC) exists is because of industry. :)

You'd fit right in on Cortes or Quadra. And I don't mean that in a mean-spirited or facetious way. You really would be at home there. It is chock full of artists and kindred spirits.

I have always lived near civilization for the day to day convenience....and had a boat to venture out of it when I wanted/could.

The only reason your town (Kitimat, BC) exists is because of industry. :)

Yup...stoopid Alcan...got all the foreshore and built Kitimat a couple miles away from the water. Who builds a coastal town miles from the water?!!?

You'd fit right in on Cortes or Quadra. And I don't mean that in a mean-spirited or facetious way. You really would be at home there. It is chock full of artists and kindred spirits.

We liked the area when we paddled through. Heriot Bay was super nice, but probably a wee bit out of our price range :eek:

Wifey B: Love living where the action is and every convenience and then cruising to the quieter areas as well as big cities. Smallest metropolitan area I've ever lived in had 2.4 million people. :rofl:

Wifey B: Love living where the action is and every convenience and then cruising to the quieter areas as well as big cities. Smallest metropolitan area I've ever lived in had 2.4 million people. :rofl:

Really? Would have never guessed :D

The San Diego and Ensanada MX area has in my opinion the best climate on the planet.

If you are chasing the year round 70 degree life, these two places are it.

We looked at harbors in San Diego a few years ago and found that because of the large numbers of private marinas slips were always available. Liveaboard was a wait list at most places. We found that the marinas are well set up for distant boaters with the airport literally minutes from several mice marinas.

Ensenada has a couple of nice harbors at a lower price than San Diego and has live aboard slips available. I have not been to Ensenada but plan on exploring there in the near future.

Ensenada is affordable, but not a lot of boating destinations down there I would want to go to. Weather in San Diego is indeed great but the boating is less than exciting. You have a long trip up to Catalina and even further to the Channel islands. So, you end up bouncing between SD Harbor and Mission Bay and that's about it for destinations for a weekend. Don't get me wrong, I love San Diego, but a boater's paradise it's not.
Our boat is up in the PNW now and it's a different world in terms of places to go. Just wish the weather was a bit better....

Back
Top Bottom