Where do you boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Where do you spend most of your time on the water?

• Canada

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • NE US Coast

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • SE US Coast

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Gulf of Mexico

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • SW US Coast

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • NW US Coast

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Central and South America

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • E.U.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Australia

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • We wander the globe

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters

No Mast

Guru
Vessel Name
Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Make
Selene 53
Where is everyone spending the majority of their time on the water? Or plan to when you get a boat?

Edit:
BTW, I ran out of options, so for Caribbean please use SE US Coast

Multiple choices also ok.

Last edited:
I boat on the Maine coast. More specifically from Penobscot Bay east.

The sarcastic me wants to say something here but I'll hold him back.
Canada?
Reminds me of the time I was on the phone with Chicago ordering a part. The gal didn't know Vancouver was on a ocean.

Of the choices:

SE Canada Coast

NE Canada Coast

SW Canada Coast

NW Canada Coast

Arctic Canada Coast

I cruise SW Canada Coast

None of the above -- on the Missouri River, pretty close to the geographic center of the entire North American continent. (Okay, I know, the geographic center is technically Rugby North Dakota, but close enough.) Yes, we have water here, although we also have lots of prairie dogs running around the marina grounds.

Last edited:
Missing Great Lakes, and Caribbean. Also inland rivers.

Vancouver, no city should be so blessed. Beaches, ski mountains, gunkholing all at the same time.

Ok, we have few members I know of from south and Central America. If we get rid of that choice and combine the US into just east and west coasts we have three open spots. For Caribbean, Great Lakes and inland rivers. Would that make more sense?

I still can't cover Canada in anything else other than as a country.

There are only 10 spots

We start in South Florida so picked SE US Coast. However, from there we go anywhere water might lead us.

I really screwed up the poll options. Should have given them just a bit moe thought.

Canada's coastline is approximately 125,570 miles long...not counting the Great Lakes.

North coast BC, but off of the Inside Passage treadmill.

Last edited:
Upper Mississippi River, Illinois River and great lakes, haven't got to the Ohio or Tennessee rivers yet.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Greetings,
Mr. NM. "Should have given them just a bit moe thought." There's the problem right there! Moe. And he was supposed to be the smart one...

giphy.gif

Connecticut River for us

How about trans-oceanic, coastal, estuary, river, or lake?

I voted NW coast but actually it's the Columbia and Snake Rivers for now.

Hardly fair to give the US 5 times the choices that Canada gets. Especially when we have the Inside Passage, the Broughtons, Desolation sound, the Gulf Islands, Barkley Sound, and that is only the BC coast.
I have sailed in the BVI and Turkey, and without a doubt, those ore inferior to cruising grounds in BC.

Last edited:
The Gulf of Alaska and Prince William sound, Alaska

Did you know that we have more shoreline at an estimated 47,300 miles than the rest of the United States combined?

Or that 17 of the tallest 20 mountains in the United States are in Alaska

Or for you fishermen that there are estimated to be more rainbow trout in Alaska over 10 pounds than the rest of the world combined

Or that they call Minnesota the land of 10,000 lakes, when there are actually over 3,000,000 yes three million lakes in Alaska over 20 acres

Or that if you overlaid Alaska on the lower 48 states, it would stick out into both the Atlantic and the Pacific oceans?

Or if you cut Alaska in half, and made each half a state, then Texas would become the third largest state?

Yes. I am an Alaskan!

Last edited:
Another British Columbia boater here, exploring from the Gulf Islands to the Broughtons on my newly acquired PT 38 Europa

The Gulf of Alaska and Prince William sound, Alaska

Did you know that we have more shoreline at an estimated 47,300 miles than the rest of the United States combined?

Or that 17 of the tallest 20 mountains in the United States are in Alaska

Or for you fishermen that there are estimated to be more rainbow trout in Alaska over 10 pounds than the rest of the world combined

Or that they call Minnesota the land of 10,000 lakes, when there are actually over 3,000,000 yes three million lakes in Alaska over 20 acres

Or that if you overlaid Alaska on the lower 48 states, it would stick out into both the Atlantic and the Pacific oceans?

Or if you cut Alaska in half, and made each half a state, then Texas would become the third largest state?

Yes. I am an Alaskan!

Wifey B: Too cold and too dark half the year. :D

Ok, it's beautiful. Liked visiting but wouldn't want to live there.

East Coast and near coastal inland waters of North America.....so far.

Ted

I have sailed in the BVI and Turkey, and without a doubt, those ore inferior to cruising grounds in BC.

Must disagree :flowers: having lived on St Croix for 3 years back in the early 80's and sailed all around the Lesser Antilles, I can't think of more ideal cruising grounds, BVI and USVI included. Turkey is not somewhere I would place high on my cruising list (explored and visited Turkey twice).

Casco Bay (Maine) and beyond will be our grounds this year.

Opinions, just opinions is all...

The Sea of Cortez and Southern California. The Sea is like nowhere else, with no ground swell and great fishing and diving.

Cheers, Bill

In the area between Marseille (France) and Portofino (Italy) including Corsica Island (France).
Map attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 47
Right, there's ten choices max for a poll. How would you cover all the ground we cruise? I agree the way I broke it up was poorly done

Right, there's ten choices max for a poll. How would you cover all the ground we cruise? I agree the way I broke it up was poorly done

Ahh, don't beat yourself over it, someone else will do it for ya :lol:;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom