Where did "The Admiral" come from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, this signifies ownership in an old fashioned way, but that it true. I am hers, and she is mine. There is strength there, both in the term and it's meaning.
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
The rest is all just PC hawgwash.
My wife, my boat, my car...possesions?
Pffffft!

"My dog" owns ME!
First Mate...forget that crapolla too, she wasn't!

I've decided that you just can't win over this "Admiral, spouse, wife, bride" thing. Last week I visited an old friend & his wife that I was in high school with and, as usual, I misspoke. I commented that she still had a great pair of "hooters" that I really liked back in the day. Although she was impressed with my remark, Carl, her husband was not until I explained that what I was talking about was in the garage!

As long as I can remember, she has always had a pair of these.

Attachments

• Hooters.jpg
    Hooters.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 44
When introducing my mistress I say "this is my boat Lisas Way" :blush:

When introducing my wife to someone I generally say, "and this is my lovely wife Lisa".

If she is introducing me she generally says "and this is my husband Kevin".

Yes, this signifies ownership in an old fashioned way, but that it true. I am hers, and she is mine. There is strength there, both in the term and it's meaning.

To me referring to someone as your "spouse" or "partner" lowers the significance of the relationship to the modern day married today single tomorrow thing it seems to have become.

"admrial" while we joke about it is not a term we generally use. Its not that we couldn't, my wife is not so PC that it would bother her, it's just not a term we find a reason to use.

"admrial" is just an easy term to use on an internet forum to refer to your wife, and it effective at that. If someone wants to make a big deal about that, well you're going to have to get over it, because the term is widely used and is not going away.

Yup. Absolutely agree.

Of course, I use "my wife" as an introduction. After that I use her name.

I've decided that you just can't win over this "Admiral, spouse, wife, bride" thing. Last week I visited an old friend & his wife that I was in high school with and, as usual, I misspoke. I commented that she still had a great pair of "hooters" that I really liked back in the day. Although she was impressed with my remark, Carl, her husband was not until I explained that what I was talking about was in the garage!

As long as I can remember, she has always had a pair of these.

My wife would roll her eyes at that comment, and say something like "boys never grow up" while being secretly proud. :rolleyes:

Greetings,
Mr. C2. "How's that workin out for ya, RT?" So far so good but as I said it's only been 45 years or so in spite of the fact my Admiral does NOT share my sense of humor.

My wife doesn't get into nautical jargon so admiral is out. I love pet names to call her knowing she gets just a little agitated when I use some of them. Southern expressions I use often depending on her mood and what I can get away with in public #1 Puddy(boat's name) responds well to this! #2 Boo-Boo....#3 Honeybuns . She is a beautiful, highly intelligent, independent professional that most people that know her can't believe I get away with these names. It's all in fun, love and humor.

Sea Hag in fact does share my sense of humor, we're both a bit twisted in that respect. I should also mention that she gives as good as she gets. The only thing that ever seems to get under her skin is when I introduce her as my first wife. It's all in good fun and it's worked for us for 32 years now. The photos are of a couple of banners I hung from the boat pre-dawn while docked at Centre Bay Yacht Station on Gambier Island...she had no idea why all those people walking the docks were smiling and giving us the thumbs-up while we sat onboard drinking our morning coffee.

Attachments

• 30one.jpg
    30one.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 30two.jpg
    30two.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Sea Hag does in fact does share my sense of humor, we're both a bit twisted in that respect. I should also mention that she gives as good as she gets. The only thing that ever seems to get under her skin is when I introduce her as my first wife. It's all in good fun and it's worked for us for 32 years now. The photos are of a couple of banners I hung from the boat pre-dawn while docked at Centre Bay Yacht Station on Gambier Island...she had no idea why all those people walking the docks were smiling and giving us the thumbs-up while we sat onboard drinking our morning coffee.
Nice trick.
She who rode behind me for many years was "Shotgun."
She liked it, so did everyone else.
When the bike went, so did the name.
Not sure what I'll call her when I get my next boat.
I'll probably start out with "Kathie" and see where she goes...

Wifey: Congrats to all of you with 30 and 40 years and other numbers like that. Obviously long ago you found what works for you and doubt you conform to anyone else's idea of how things should be. Haven't even been alive 40 years so haven't made that yet.

However...

I do often feel at the same time like a newlywed and like we've been together forever, all at the same time. I find there are no words to express our relationship. Husband and wife to some sound like a form of ownership. To others sound like long term successful marriage. Older generation talks about younger taking marriage lightly and divorces but then you see all the couples once the nest empties divorcing and realize how many stayed together for reasons other than their love. I find it so refreshing to read all of you who have been together a long time. I have no facts, but I bet boating couples do it better. Not that, silly, although bet that too, I mean stay together better on the whole. Common interests. Ways they enjoy spending their leisure time. We really love love love love love boating together. Heck if it's captain and admiral, queen and king, bimbo and gigolo, it doesn't matter.

I think boating is the greatest family activity imaginable and families need some enjoyable things to do together. I know one thing and that is when we got married, we made each other and our relationship (well, actually before) the most important part of our life. We didn't let our jobs sabotage our marriages. I don't care how old you are, I can't imagine (ok outside of unmentionable x rated stuff) anything better than a couple sharing time on a boat together.

That said, no one answered the freaking question from the OP cause we don't know. We just suspect. Was it first used as an honor by a real gentleman or disparagingly by some jerk? Doesn't matter. If you like it today, fine. If you don't, fine. Gotta make your own kind of music.

Nobody can tell ya
There's only one song worth singin'
They may try and sell ya
'Cause it hangs them up
To see someone like you

But you've gotta make your own kind of music
Sing your own special song
Make your own kind of music
Even if nobody else sings along

You're gonna be nowhere,
The loneliest kind of lonely
It may be rough goin'
Just to do your thing
The hardest thing to do

But you've gotta make your own kind of music

So if you cannot take my hand
And if you must be goin'
I will understand

You gotta make your own kind of music

[Fading out:]
You gotta make your own kind of music
Sing your own special song,
Make your own kind of music even if nobody
Else sings along.

:D

Nice trick.
She who rode behind me for many years was "Shotgun."
She liked it, so did everyone else.
When the bike went, so did the name.
Not sure what I'll call her when I get my next boat.
I'll probably start out with "Kathie" and see where she goes...

Wifey B: Oooh...I thought riding shotgun was the front seat passenger side...Of course I don't do motorcycles.

My wife Kay loves the title of Admiral. We are a team, but we all know who is in charge. As proof look at the pic below. Who has a glass of wine and who is working (driving)?

Attachments

• Boat and Kay.jpg
    Boat and Kay.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 65
I thought the "Admiral" thing was silly years ago when I first saw it.
Never have called Chris an Admiral .. wife will do.

:iagree:

Wife or Diana, seems to cover it.

Greetings,
Mr. C2. "How's that workin out for ya, RT?" So far so good but as I said it's only been 45 years or so in spite of the fact my Admiral does NOT share my sense of humor.
Good for you....we should all be so lucky! I know, I know,..... luck had nothing to do with it.:thumb:

Calling your wife the Admiral in the boys club (TF) is like guys downtown calling their wife's "the boss". Ther'e kidding that their wife is the boss. But many aren't kidding. It's like calling your wife bossy and getting away with it.

Also it's a silly thing as a result of not growing up. We never do of course and we miss being a kid. And we need to feel like we belong. TF is a bit like a club. Remember the boy clubs where every kid had a rank like in the military. My buds and I even cut out badges to pin on and we made up the rules. Now we make up cute names for things like splashing for launching and Admiral for wife.

Mostly it's sorta "Queen for a day" by calling them the "high cheese" when everybody knows darn well they are the one that does what she's told. But if one can make jokes about it and laugh at it one can put a positive light on a bad thing. But here it's mostly about belonging. Admiral and splash are our words and only members of the club know the words ... Those that know and use the words belong.

I don't remember when the Admiral thing started here on TF. Do other boaters call their wife's "Admiral"? Splash for launch isn't unique to TF is it?

Greetings,
Mr. mb. Calling someone a boss is NOT suggesting they're bossy. It suggests they're in charge. As they usually are.

boss (n.1) "overseer," 1640s, American English, from Dutch baas "a master," Middle Dutch baes, of obscure origin. If original sense was "uncle," perhaps it is related to Old High German basa "aunt," but some sources discount this theory. The Dutch form baas is attested in English from 1620s as the standard title of a Dutch ship's captain. The word's popularity in U.S. may reflect egalitarian avoidance of master (n.) as well as the need to distinguish slave from free labor. The slang adjective meaning "excellent" is recorded in 1880s, revived, apparently independently, in teen and jazz slang in 1950s.

As to the rest of your ahem...."opinion"..."when everybody knows darn well they are the one that does what she's told." Sheer foolishness IMO and very demeaning as well.

Last edited:
76 posts---almost halfway there!!

:whistling::thumb::thumb:

I don't remember when the Admiral thing started here on TF. Do other boaters call their wife's "Admiral"? Splash for launch isn't unique to TF is it?

Eric--- I've heard a few guys on the dock in our harbor over the years talking about their wives as "the Admiral." Don't know how widespread it is, though.

The big yard we use uses the term "splash" when talking about putting a boat back in the water with the Travelifts.

Eric--- I've heard a few guys on the dock in our harbor over the years talking about their wives as "the Admiral." Don't know how widespread it is, though.

I have heard the term "Admiral" up and down the west coast......:eek:

Little more wide spread than just TF me think....:whistling:

Get real folks, tradition denotes that the person in charge of a vessel is the Captain. We have what's known as recreational watercraft. Yes the marina dock master and hands will refer to you as Captain mainly because it's better than hay you and they are looking for a fat tip. Using the title of Admiral may be in the same vane, however don't ever use the lowest of the low title of Comode Door (Commodore) unless you want a mutiny.
Also just because someone refers to you as Captain does not mean you have to wear the white Captains hat, blue blazer, white shorts and knee socks with white deck shoes.

Last edited:
All the above is why when referring got my wife in person, or to someone who already knows her, I uses her name. When referring to her in boating circles where she is not known I sometimes use the term 2iC, for second in command. Works for us...

It sounds like it may be a regional thing but to answer the original question its probably came about as a comical term of endearment. Everywhere I have been boating in recreational and commercial circles very few people in command of a vessel call themselves or have people call them captain. Around here its the master of the vessel for commercial and or owner or casually skipper.
When it all come down to it who cares? If it works for them I say good luck to you and have fun with it. Life to short.

It sounds like it may be a regional thing but to answer the original question its probably came about as a comical term of endearment. Everywhere I have been boating in recreational and commercial circles very few people in command of a vessel call themselves or have people call them captain. Around here its the master of the vessel for commercial and or owner or casually skipper.
When it all come down to it who cares? If it works for them I say good luck to you and have fun with it. Life to short.

On board Naval ships, the captain is the boss of the boat in all matters operational regardless of whether there is a higher ranking officer aboard. For example, the flagship of a fleet will have an admiral aboard whose duties will be to direct and control the movements of the fleet. The captain of the flagship, however, drives the boat. A ship's captain, depending on the size of the boat, may be of a rank lesser than a naval captain. So, the boat driver is the captain while the admiral decides to where the captain will drive the boat (and other non-operational matters as "agreed" upon). I tnink this the most likely origin of the usage of the titles. Generally, hubby is the captain while wifey is the admiral but one should never assume this is always the case.

When a man marries a woman, they become one, the trouble starts when they try to decide which one..... :)

All the above is why when referring got my wife in person, or to someone who already knows her, I uses her name. When referring to her in boating circles where she is not known I sometimes use the term 2iC, for second in command. Works for us...
"My wife is too icey."
She must love that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom