Where can I buy a hinge like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick F

Guru
Vessel Name
Callisto
Vessel Make
1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hull 433
Off my 1976 CHB trawler. I lost one half of this lift-off hinge piece. Does anyone know where I can find a piece like this?

Attachments

• IMG_4671.jpg
    IMG_4671.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4672.jpg
    IMG_4672.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Seadog offers similar hinges. Martin Marine should be able to get them for you.
I used a light duty version of these for screen for the main door.

I have seen others but of course did not bookmark.

Google marine lift off hinges and you will get some hits.

I believe those hinges were also used on 42 Kadey Krogens. That might give you more places to look for a used one (like a neighbors boat :rolleyes:).

Ted

Last edited:
Stores that deal in surplus and salvage marine goods might be you best bet. Places like annapolis mystic ft Lauderdale and Sarasota would be a good start. They are called take apart hinges.

Thanks to all. I had searched Google without success, but without the word knuckle.
Regards,
Nick

Most CHB (Marine Trader) hardware was a cast copy of anyone's guess. Nothing matches and anything close will require modification to work but will never achieve the sublime rough casting finish of the rest of the hardware. I'd pick the closest available hardware that appeals to you and replace all the hinges at once. Now they all match and you can get replacements.

Good luck with the faucets.

Google this...

"marine brass olive lift off hinges"

Panic over - I found the lost piece! (on the boat)
Thanks for the help, all.
Nick

I googled marine lift off hinges and lots of stuff popped up.
Some years ago, I made doors for my sailboat to replace my hated slats….used lift off hinges for it as I only used the doors when we were onboard.

Try hingeoutlet.com

knuckle anyhinges

Hey Jomar,
Some of the lift off knuckle hinges have a small brass spacer/washer that sits on the pin between the two halves. Do you have any of those you can spare?

The hinges are at least 44 years old. It may be time to replace them with a newer model.

Quote: Have extras! If you only need a few I can mail you some

Jomarjr - many thanks for the offer. I have solved the problem for now.
Regards,
Nick

technically its called a "pivot" hinge. Google that and you should get a plethora of different kinds available.

They are called “break-apart” or “lift-off” hinges, or sometimes “Murray hinges”. These are often used in fine cabinet making. They are not at all specific to boat building. Google for “brass furniture hardware” and you may find others. Amazon sells them too. It’s highly unlikely you’ll find the mate to the missing half, so instead I’d try to buy a complete hinge set and install the new one in place of the old. Just make sure you get solid brass, not plated steel hinges.

These.

Attachments

• 7528874B-9CB2-4201-9BD9-7FDC4E0D4E2E.jpg
    7528874B-9CB2-4201-9BD9-7FDC4E0D4E2E.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 9
These would be NOS (new original stock). ABI has been out of business for several years, but I do occasionally see NOS, especially on West Coast. Perhaps someone resurrected the brand. If so, I hope they kept the quality decent. Good company for traditional solid brass hardware. I was sorry to see them go.

Good find.

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom