Where is the best place to anchor at Lake Worth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How is the entrance to that Old Bahama Bay Place? Is it pretty easy? Is it hard to get a slip if I just show up?

How would I get there from Lake Worth? Go straight across and let the current take me up and then come back down? Or head south for a bit before the Gulf Stream?

Very easy, nice entrance into a big turning basin. Fuel dock and customs dock on your right, marina on your left.

Marina fairways can be a bit tight but manageable in your boat.

Book a slip in the am when they open and before you get out of range. They have had some issues recently with a change of ownership but can get full, especially if there is a tournament.

If you have an AP and chartplotter set up they will manage you on the rhumb line. If not, at your speed, aim around 20 KM south of WE to start when you enter the stream and bring her up 4 KM an hour.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help !!

Here you go, looks like the same numbers - seems rocks don't move much! :)

Attachments

• MEMRKS.jpg
    MEMRKS.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 32
Afternoon should give you nice lighting to see the shoal water and deep water. Sun will be behind you.

Yes, you are being hard headed. Lake Worth to west end is an easy run in good weather. Even if you run as slow as no6 knots the stream won't have a huge effect on you. I'm not saying no effect, but it's quite doable. Steer south of your GPS rumbline for the first 15 miles or so, dead on it for the next 20, then south a little until you get out of the stream. It's only 60 miles

That's easier than 90 to mangrove and then anchoring out, even with the help of the stream.

If you want to anchor out, cool, go for it. I anchor out most of the time we are over there too. But if your wife wants to do it the easiest way, then Old Bahama Bay should be your choice.

Mangrove is not a great Anchorage anyway, just conviently located.

So are you in West End? If you don't answer we know you are in Mangrove!!

I'm thinking he is at Mangrove!

Suspect the crossing was so easy he said to the missus - "do you REALLY want to stop early and take longer to get there, or knock off another few hours now?"

I know that's what I pull!

A nite at Mangrove is pretty much the same as being on the open bank. However, there are some secret lobster spots nearby. [emoji41]

A nite at Mangrove is pretty much the same as being on the open bank. However, there are some secret lobster spots nearby. [emoji41]

He had a SE wind so would be protected OK by anchoring on the NW corner.

Just hope he wasn't looking forward to having a walk ashore!

Sorry for the delay. I ordered the wrong SIM card for my iPhone from Mr SIMM so just now got some WiFi.

Having a nice dinner on GTC! We are not fancy “out to eaters” but this place is da bomb. Green Turtle Club I think is it’s called.
58164197706__71FD7833-3F72-4F5C-A5C2-A6760AC5CE36.jpgIMG_6155.jpgIMG_6156.jpg

The crossing from Lake Worth to Great Sale Cay was easy. Long, at 16 hours, but smooth. Funny thing, when we got to Mangrove around 3:30 in the afternoon my wife said let’s keep going so we ended up at Great Sale. It was a 16 hour run.

The run from GS to GTC was not smooth. 15-18kn winds and seas on the beam for hours did not make wifey happy. Reason for the fancy dinner! [emoji51]

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. I ordered the wrong SIM card for my iPhone from Mr SIMM so just now got some WiFi.

Having a nice dinner on GTC! We are not fancy “out to eaters” but this place is da bomb. Green Turtle Club I think is it’s called.
View attachment 89847View attachment 89848View attachment 89849

The crossing from Lake Worth to Great Sale Cay was easy. Long, at 16 hours, but smooth. Funny thing, when we got to Mangrove around 3:30 in the afternoon my wife said let’s keep going so we ended up at Great Sale. It was a 16 hour run.

The run from GS to GTC was not smooth. 15-18kn winds and seas on the beam for hours did not make wifey happy. Reason for the fancy dinner! [emoji51]

Well I was wrong, it was she who said keep going, not you!

Take a pic of the money on the Club wall, we are on there somewhere from 2003 - if they haven't stolen all the dollars!

Glad you made it - and the waypoints made you comfortable?

Your next assignment, should you wish to accept it, (Mission Impossible music here), make sure Whale Cay Channel is good for a crossing - don't screw it up with the missus at this stage! Sit there until it is!

Last edited:
IMG_7484.jpg

Menzies,

I used your dollar to offset some of my $12 drink! [emoji30]

View attachment 89851

Menzies,

I used your dollar to offset some of my $12 drink! [emoji30]

Dang, it was a $4 drink when we stuck it up there - damned inflation!

Glad you had a good crossing - now go enjoy the hell out of the islands!

Will you make Nippers for Sunday? Pick up a ball in Fishers Bay, grab a drink at Grabbers. then a few Nippers punches (well, just one as it has six/eight rums in it! I forget how many).

Last edited:
Yes, will def hit Grabbers and Nippers!

I’ve wanted to anchor up closer to the beach at Grabbers, but always end up getting the mooring ball.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom