Old 05-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #121

City: Port Deposit, MD
Vessel Name: Grand Day Out
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Okay now, please no one accuse me of slinging bull poop. I am 70 years old, 6", 1" tall. My weight has been virtually the same for the last 40 years, 165 lbs. It goes up a few pounds around the holidays but has never gone over 170, never below 160. I take no drugs, none, never have. I never did run or exercise in any way other than leading an active life, skiing, full-court basketball for 40 years, softball (fast pitch and slow pitch), golf. Now that we are full time live aboards my activity is limited to golf. My food intake is relatively prodigious. I eat anything I want paying no attention to whether it is red meat, bread (am addicted to piizza), in other words I do everything wrong. Beer and bourbon, too. I know, it's all gonna catch up with me. I've been hearing that for forty years. I recently underwent extensive heart testing, no blockages, not even close. I have no explanation but I do enjoy being able to eat and drink anything I like. Soft drinks do not appeal to me.
You are blessed with good genes! In order to maintain my healthy weight, I have to exercise and restrict eating. Almost always hungry. I do allow myself one oz.. of bourbon daily tho.
stroutmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #122
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Okay now, please no one accuse me of slinging bull poop. I am 70 years old, 6", 1" tall. My weight has been virtually the same for the last 40 years, 165 lbs. It goes up a few pounds around the holidays but has never gone over 170, never below 160. I take no drugs, none, never have. I never did run or exercise in any way other than leading an active life, skiing, full-court basketball for 40 years, softball (fast pitch and slow pitch), golf. Now that we are full time live aboards my activity is limited to golf. My food intake is relatively prodigious. I eat anything I want paying no attention to whether it is red meat, bread (am addicted to piizza), in other words I do everything wrong. Beer and bourbon, too. I know, it's all gonna catch up with me. I've been hearing that for forty years. I recently underwent extensive heart testing, no blockages, not even close. I have no explanation but I do enjoy being able to eat and drink anything I like. Soft drinks do not appeal to me.
I think you might find if you really looked at it that you have led a healthy life. You say no exercise but then list skiing, full court basketball. softball, and golf. We do basketball and tennis. You mentioned no soft drinks. I imagine if your diet were analyzed you'd find some other positives in it. We don't do soft drinks, don't do french fries. We don't do bread with most meals. Then we eat well. Then some is genetics. Just saying you've led and still lead an active life and so it's likely not all genetics.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:59 AM   #123

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
Getting back to the original topic - first and foremost has to be where you’re located. We’re in the PAC NW, Seattle area with a strong economy and incredible cruising grounds. Second is the boat. Size and mfg have a huge impact. Try selling a Bayliner 4588 with Hino engines on the east coast. Then look at the Pac NW.

Although I haven’t made any formal study, it seems to me that some parts of the used market have actually increased asking prices. Another post referenced boats coming out of charter - now that I can see happening as folks were leveraging what may now become nonexistent charter income. But as others have noted, clean, well-maintained older boats are in demand and at least where we live prices are stable or getting a slight uptick.

Never has YMMV been so appropriate an answer to the OPs question because there are so many variables.
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #124

City: Charleston Sc
We are a few months into it, has anyone’s opinion changed? I have seen quite a few price drops but I’m not sure if that’s just season ending in Florida/Islands.
gt7834a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #125

City: San francisco
Vessel Name: Pacific Star
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
I here from a couple of yacht sales people here in the S.F. Bay Area that sales are pretty hot and prices are not generally falling. Perhaps people with time on their hands are getting more interested in boat buying....who knows? But the fact is, locally at least, boat brokers are pretty happy right now. Go figure...
Oldersalt
Oldersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #126
Guru

When will prices drop. July-August for most of the country. January for South Florida.

They'll drop at the normal seasonal times. The big question will be what happens when we return to season. For instance will prices pick up in South Florida in October-November or in other areas next spring.

I hear all the brokers talking about things being good and prices holding. However, they were dealing with 3 months of people suppressed and now returning. I'm not at all sure that sales reflect their optimism. Understand they're always going to be publicly saying prices are holding.

Everything I see says they're like every other retailer and sales went to 10% and now perhaps back to 60% of a normal June but that's all. Still holding prices but not selling all that many. It's very hard to get a good honest read. In most areas of the country, the selling season is about over so you won't really know for a while. In South Florida, it hasn't come yet. Privately brokers are worried it won't come this fall and winter, publicly they're upbeat, realistically they don't know. Will there be FLIBS? Who knows.

With all the uncertainty we face, I do not see the retail market for luxury items being good until 2022.

I can tell you that new boat builders are extremely concerned, both small boat builders catering to lake boaters and big boat builders catering to ocean cruising. There are ship loads of boats arriving right now and others on the way to Great Lakes dealers. The sales season on the Great Lakes ends in 22 days. A lot of 2020 boats are going to sit all winter and be for sale in 2021. Most large cruising boat builders had backlogs of orders and they've had cancellations but most not really impacted yet. They've lost some sales but they're still busy building. Their real worry is the next round of builds. Will they have orders this winter and into 2021 and that is worrisome.

Way too early for used boat prices to reflect any of this. That's for 2021 and 2022.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:15 AM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Boats and RV’s are selling like hotcakes this summer.

If you are waiting for some big event to dramatically drop prices you will wait forever and never buy a boat.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #128
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Will there be FLIBS? Who knows.

Wifey got word a few days ago that there will be Annapolis boat shows this Fall.

-Chris
Old 06-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #129
Guru

One other comment. Sellers are still in denial. Look at the stock market denial.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #130

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
In the PacNW the used boat pickings are slim. Although I don’t keep a written record, I’m always looking for my next boat and I’m convinced asking prices For decent boats have actually increased.
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:21 AM   #131
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Wifey got word a few days ago that there will be Annapolis boat shows this Fall.

-Chris
And we got word all spring there would be a Palm Beach Boat Show in 2020. I hope the word she got turns out right, but I can't seen how anyone could be sure on what will happen this fall.

We saw our director of our schools in SC. SC educators just met to come up with options for the fall and have three levels of plans with no idea what plan or combination will be used. Still none of those plans is close to a complete plan. How do you bus kids and maintain distancing? You'd have to only have 17% of bus capacity. How do you reduce class size? You'd have to increase the school day and have students at different times but that would also mean teachers teaching far longer days.

Maryland's death rate is very high and not curtailing like one would hope, a pattern we're seeing throughout the country. Is it reasonable to expect business as usual this fall or is there a plan to handle the boat show while maintaining distancing and wearing masks? It would seem to me a boat show would be one of the easiest things to do. Frankly, I'd prefer one anyway that only allowed one couple or family unit to board a boat at a time.

I'm hoping the Annapolis show and FLIBS get held, but not confident in anything yet. With FLIBS there's the additional issue of international travel and Europeans don't think we have things at all under control.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #132

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Salty Swan
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Classico 426
Go ahead if you like it

We, too, thought that prices might drop. I think that the good boats are as aggressively sought by buyers as they ever were. We went ahead with our pre-COVID negotiated purchase and are really glad we did. Where else could you self-isolate in such an interesting way? We are swapping all our international jet travel for a trawler experience, at least until there is a well tested and proven effective vaccine out there. (Two years?). When we closed, the closing agent said this is the busiest spring she’s ever seen in over 20 years. Clearly a lot of other people are thinking the same way.
SMLBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #133
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7834a View Post
We are a few months into it, has anyone’s opinion changed? I have seen quite a few price drops but I’m not sure if that’s just season ending in Florida/Islands.
From what we see in the NE and Florida sales are slower and lower along with a few boat builders going out of business as of late. Surprising that Evinrude joined the recent group of marine business's checking out for good- I really liked their newer products and they will be missed.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #134
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
First, a general observation - I have never heard a selling broker say its a bad time to buy (could be boat, rv, home, whatever)!

There is no doubt that some boats are selling, I put my trailer sailboat up for sale 2 weeks ago and sold her in 2 days. I will offer, however, she was in excellent condition, the brand has somewhat of a cult-type following, and she was priced fairly.

I am on the hunt for my next boat, a retirement boat that will be much larger than my last one. I think, however, that I am not in such a hurry to buy. I'm reluctant to take my wife out at this time to look at boat, especially those boats that might involve an overnight(s) trip. I'm beginning to think I won't buy a boat this Summer, maybe in the Fall, but only if I find a great deal. If enough other people feel this way, sales will be down and prices likely will drop. If we are in the minority, sales will good and prices may not drop.

Doesn't mean we are staying home all Summer either. We are loading up my truck and trailer with the UTV's and going trail riding in West Virginia next month. Renting an Airbnb, partly for the convenience, but also so that we don't have to interact with other people.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:16 PM   #135
Veteran Member

City: Southampton
I have seen price drops on boats that are within my target search criteria, but the drops look more like normal adjustments for how long they have been on the market. I have also seen boats new to the market that I consider over priced.

I have seen reports of strong boat sales due to that being one activity that is in an option where others such as summer trips, cruises, season tickets, stadium events, etc are not possible or not desired.
Recb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #136
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
If the real estate market has any parallels (my regional metro area): "New listings down 30% in May(year over year), keeping inventory tight and the market moving. May buyer traffic down 20% - steadily increasing. Many expect full market recovery by late June or early July."

Not boats, but there is no RE price crash around here.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #137

City: Med
I had a call from a reputable broker inquiring for a client about our boat, which is coming out of a major refit shortly.

We then had a discussion about the general market situation. Their bottleneck is the lack of supply of top quality boats, which sometimes sell within days after coming to the market, at premium prices. That means 3 – 5 year old boats, and older boats from top quality brand builders and designers, that have been perfectly maintained and constantly updated. Below those “A” class assets, the market is said to be very much driven by price, and local demand.

That is pretty much in line with my own market observations, looking from the right side of the Atlantic, and not just broker brabble.
woolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #138
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And we got word all spring there would be a Palm Beach Boat Show in 2020. I hope the word she got turns out right, but I can't seen how anyone could be sure on what will happen this fall.

Guessing Annapolis might be on, per this latest; at least intent seems to be there. She got word a few months ago, sort of early in the covid response process that both this last Spring and next Fall shows were cancelled.

Then this new notification just arrived a couple days ago. (She's been helping with Cruiser's University for several years, so she's on their "employee" mailing list...)

-Chris
Old 06-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #139
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Housing prices in our area (1hr from Boston) are climbing, heard an agent today said folks are getting 10-15% above asking price. Believe it is driven by 2 factors 1) cheap loans and 2) desire to get out of major cities with vertical living. As firms are allowing folks to work virtually more folks are looking at suburban and rural living.

It is my understanding the boating market is also pretty hot as folks are looking for different vacation ideas. I would think it would be more smaller boats for 1st time boaters vs larger craft but time will tell with the economy and if credit tightens then the market will likely slow.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #140
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Guessing Annapolis might be on, per this latest; at least intent seems to be there. She got word a few months ago, sort of early in the covid response process that both this last Spring and next Fall shows were cancelled.

Then this new notification just arrived a couple days ago. (She's been helping with Cruiser's University for several years, so she's on their "employee" mailing list...)

-Chris
I'm sure their intent is to do it. Just not sure any of us know what is ahead.