Old 06-21-2020, 10:56 PM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
a contrarian approach: Look at each option and consider the worst case scenario.

Option 1: Get the bigger boat. What if you are wrong ? You have a boat that may be costly to run, need another big ass loan to re-power, is harder to handle and will sour you on boating you may end up selling at a loss just to get out from under it.

Option 2 Stay with the current boat. What if you are wrong ? You are in your current situation, which you are comfortable with. You have a boat that you like, are enjoying the learning curve, the wife is in agreement and you are enjoying boating. In otherwords, there is ZERO downside...only upside.

By keeping the current boat you keep your current satisfaction level, and you retain the option to upsize later. An option has value.

I'd say "don't do it ...yet". If a 40 year old 48 footer is the right boat for you, you can find one next year, or the year after that.
This is sound advice.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:28 AM   #22
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Hello RonR:

Personally, I have always been opposed to getting a loan to buy a boat.

Most importantly, the fact that you presently have a covered slip and would have to wait three years for a larger covered slip would be enough for me to nix the larger Egg right there.

Cheers, and wash your hands often,
Mrs. Trombley
Old 06-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #23
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Observations:

1. What problem are you trying to solve? Sounds like you guys are having a blast on your current boat. More space for family/friends, or just a simple grass is greener?

2. What is the can't-pass-up-a-killer-deal number? I'm normally a fair-deal guy, meaning I typically look for something that's fair for both parties. But in this case, I'd treat it a bit differently - what's the number that so screaming good that I'd be nuts to pass-up?

3. Fact that the owner of the 48 is willing to trade-down to a gasser probably tells you all you need to know about resale prospects.

4. Your enjoyable list of small projects will grow to larger and more expensive projects. At 46 I was up for them. At 59, I'm not. Personal choice.

Good luck - fun topic

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
So we bought our 33' egg harbor as our first big boat coming from a 24' sea ray. Its no trawler but what we like. Our plan was to buy the 33' and run it for two years, decide if we like bigger boats and go from there. If we love it we can go bigger, if we hate it or don't use it as much as we thought we would we can sell and not lose that much $$. Were about one year in from our initial search and 7 month from our buy date. We each love the boat life, I like the little projects and to do list, she loves everything about it from the planning to the trips. We spend a lot of time on the boat cleaning/fixing/entertaining/Fishing/Crabbing/booze cruses.

Anyhow there is a larger Egg harbor in our Marina, I know the owner and we have been talking. He is getting ready to down size and is interested in selling and even taking ours in on part trade.... This is something I was not even thinking about until late next year at the soonest. So now there is a mix of emotions running, are we going to fast, do we really like this life style, do we really want a boat loan? Will we continue to use a 48 as much as we do the 33? If we buy a 1978 boat with 8V-92's what will it be worth in 10-15 years when we are ready to get out. Is this $$ we are kissing good buy, or is this $$$ worth of memory's and experiences we will never get anywhere else? Its not a lot of $$ compared to a lot of boats this size, but the sport fisher is just not a big seller in the PNW. This boat is in fair to good shape for its age with many new options such as all new wiring, gen, batteries, interior/electronics. But is still old school with the 2- stroke Detroit's.

I have never been a big Detroit fan, but I know the engines well as the first engines I had ever rebuilt was a pair of 16V-92's. I know how to keep them running and I know what it takes to in-fame one. I also know that most people under 45 will have nothing to do with one given its noise/ fuel consumptions and oil leaks no matter how good of a job you think you did.

Thoughts? Am I moving to fast, wrong boat at the wrong time, or just jump at it as you only live once? The wife thinks its sexy and to do it. I'm scared I will end up with a huge project that I cant get ride of in 10 years even if I give it away. But dam its a cool ass boat.

I am 46 and I would consider this boat something on my list at age 60 not 47... It just seams like way too much way to fast, but I also know we are each at the point in our lives that we want to up-size or down-size. And if we can make it work, each of us would have it easy vs selling on the open market, trying to find the right boat and a place to keep it, really we would be moving two docks over each. One would end up with a clean boat and a lot of $$ in his pocket, the other would end up with a clean boat and a big ass loan...

Were getting ready for a 11 day trip on the little Egg next week, I don't think I will sleep much until I get on the big Egg on the 13th of July...
I never see in your post the "Why" as to making the change other than it being cool. What problem are you solving? None, that I see. I see so many reasons to say no by trying to read between the lines. Getting a big ass loan isn't healthy. Doesn't matter what size it is, big ass is your words and if you consider it that and think of it like that then bad news in my opinion. Second, you worry about it's value in ten years. If that worries you, then it's too much to go for today. A boat that age, you shouldn't even be thinking it will be worth anything in ten years. It might be but that shouldn't be part of the consideration. It's already 42 years old. Already challenging to finance and insure and add ten years to that and more so.

Someone else puts it well in describing what you can lose by making the move and the fact there appears to be zero downside to doing nothing. You have a boat you enjoy and can afford, one right for you today.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #25

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
Might not be a factor for you but Washington State park buoys are limited to 45’. Some parks also have good anchorage, others not so much.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
If you no longer had a boat at all, is that particular 48' boat the one you would buy? There are a 100,000 boats for sale. Get what you want.
I have to agree. I feel like the OP is moving forward for the wrong reasons.

1) You know the guy and like him

2) It's an Egg and you happen to own an egg.

3) It's got DD's and you've rebuilt DD's before

4) The owner is willing to do a cash + Trade (the makes the deal very convenient.

5) You might want a bigger boat and this happens to be a bigger boat.

Buy the boat you want for the right reasons. I'm not convinced any of these are the right reasons.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #27
Guru

City: West Coast
It sounds like you are plenty happy with all aspects of your current boat. If so, I doubt that your boat happiness level will increase much with that or any other boat, at least not at this stage. Wait until you outgrow your current boat, if ever.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #28
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
I am new to boating but not new to life. I ended up with a factory new boat in 90 days and jumped straight to 45ft from basically fresh water boats so i would consider that fast. The difference is i paid cash and if this little adventure goes south the only impact is my kids may not be as happy. I got to this point by making sure what i was doing when i was 40 was forward thinking and that didn't include taking on any dept that didnt have a suitable return. Its understandable folks need to get loans but i see young people buying 100,000 dollar bmws just because they can and then get hit with the depreciation which takes away from there lifetime earnings.
I am not saying don't do it. People need to have fun but you sound like a thinker and please let us know what your decision is.
magna 6882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #29
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Thank you everyone for the sound advise. This is why I asked in the first place as many of you have been here before, or will be shortly. Were going to take off on the little egg for a few weeks. And then re-visit what we want vs what we need. I don't spend a lot of $$ with the hopes of a nice retirement at an early age.

As far as a drop dead deal, no you guys are right there will be plenty of 40+ year old sport fishers for sale. Many of the ones that were for sale a year ago are still for sale today. I do like this boat, and I do like the Egg brand.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: CHEHALIS
Vessel Model: 1988 Cerria 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
My brother had an early 80s Golden Egg 48 with 892s. After a 10-12 hour fishing trip it took hours to fill up. It wasn't hard to burn 600 gallons a day.
600 GAL that alone would hurt my budget. Been looking at bigger better boats as well. I heino and Cummings are easier on fuel but again another post.
tekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: CHEHALIS
Vessel Model: 1988 Cerria 2655
Listen ing to what you say. Keep your current boat make pAyments and extra expenses to a savings account. Go out and sail the bigger boat with the owner and get a feel for it. Put in for the 50 foot covered space. But the boat when they award you the space. You will almost have the cash at that time. If you change your mind you still have the savings. Just my .02
tekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #32

City: Seattle
I've seen that Hatteras 43 Fisher docked in Everett...although she's in pristine condition, she sat there for years because sport Fisher isn't that popular in the PNW.
I'm assuming these are 8V92 TAs. Most people would run those DDs hard in a sport Fisher so engine rebuild is required at every 2500 hours.
Ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #33
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
If those 892's are original. they are likely 892TI where the charge air coolers are behind the blower, and use 9200/9215/9225 injectors. Rated from 500-600hp. If so, these are a rather mild rating for the engine and can easily do 4000hrs. Not at all the same record as the 892TA at 735. 735 run hard was asking too much from the engine.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #34

City: Mount Pleasant
Vessel Name: M/V Slow Dance
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
My advice on most any transaction, "Measure twice, and cut once."
CruisingTheICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:15 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekdiver View Post
600 GAL that alone would hurt my budget. Been looking at bigger better boats as well. I heino and Cummings are easier on fuel but again another post.
I did that in the last month in the 33' Egg.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:43 PM   #36
Guru

Took a tour of the 48'. Its a dam nice boat, owner wants to hang onto it for a bit longer. We will re-visit this topic in a year or so.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #37
Guru

The 33' is getting listed next week, we are moving forward on the 48'.
We want more room and extended range to head farther up North. It needs a bit of love, but every boat does. Wish us luck, as a lot of Stars need to line up to make it all work.
Owner of the 48' has offered us a few months to sell ours and close on his.
First step is to sell ours, then out of water survey of the other one, and go from there.