When to Retire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boathealer,
..... and I could rent a plane or get in a club a lot cheaper, so there's an incentive to get rid of that.
Sounds like a worry and stress free life!

A couple of friends are in plane clubs. They speak very highly of them and when I suggest that the same concept doesn't really work for boats (for a variety of reasons) they point out that all maintenance work on the planes is done professionally and to highest standards.

They also get to fly a choice of planes (depending on their certification of course).
~A

The hardest thing about retiring.
No weekends off
Seven day work week
No national holidays
No annual holidays
On call 24/7 365

Since pensions have been brought up, I'll offer this.

In the US most companies stopped offering defined benefit pensions and now most do not offer pensions at all, but use alternatives, and I consider that a positive change. I'll explain why. Although pensions are insured in this country, that doesn't cover market losses or bad investments. Many companies invested in themselves through pension funds. So, not only was your livelihood tied to the company, your retirement was also. I strongly prefer the move to 401-K's and similar funds. In those, the money is yours as the employee. The investment of that money is also up to you. You have control. You're not at the mercy of a company with self interests risking your retirement savings.

The worst misuse of retirement funds I quickly recall was Enron. The same lies management was giving the public, they were giving employees and employees had their entire retirement tied up in Enron. When Enron was busted, so were they. I frankly feel the executives of Enron should have been charged with murder of all the employees who seeing their life savings evaporate and committed suicide. Was it not reasonable for them to foresee that as a likely result of their lies? White collar crime doesn't just hit the wealthy. It hits us all. I think the most serious white collar crime which robs thousands or hundreds of thousands of people should be considered just as serious as assaulting someone. It destroys lives, it takes lives. Jeffrey Skilling only served 12 years and was released last year. His victims are still imprisoned in a very different way.

They too are not mutually exclusive, companies can and do offer both non contributory pensions and 401K. Less of them than before I grant you, but they are still around.

And Enron (and Delta) are the outlying examples.

I could pull the pin and close my business.

I find myself caught in the middle, I enjoy my work but want to get away from it. So this past year I declared semi-retirement. I can do that since I am my own boss.
I am learning to delegate more to my #1 and I was close to finding a person to step in and take some more of the work from me. Then this covid thing came and it put many plans on hold, maybe next year?

Meanwhile this past year, my wife and I have travelled and have done monthly 4-7 day getaways. Well, away from home and office at least but checking emails, making calls.

2021 will get tested with longer times away, more often and phone turned off most of the day. A new employee to take a load off.

I intend to continue to manage my business but eventually cut direct contact with clients. I need to have something to do besides work on the boat, travel and sleep. The beauty is I can work remotely.

In the US most companies stopped offering defined benefit pensions and now most do not offer pensions at all, but use alternatives, and I consider that a positive change. I'll explain why. Although pensions are insured in this country, that doesn't cover market losses or bad investments. Many companies invested in themselves through pension funds. So, not only was your livelihood tied to the company, your retirement was also. I strongly prefer the move to 401-K's and similar funds. In those, the money is yours as the employee. The investment of that money is also up to you. You have control. You're not at the mercy of a company with self interests risking your retirement savings.

The worst misuse of retirement funds I quickly recall was Enron. The same lies management was giving the public, they were giving employees and employees had their entire retirement tied up in Enron. When Enron was busted, so were they. I frankly feel the executives of Enron should have been charged with murder of all the employees who seeing their life savings evaporate and committed suicide. Was it not reasonable for them to foresee that as a likely result of their lies? White collar crime doesn't just hit the wealthy. It hits us all. I think the most serious white collar crime which robs thousands or hundreds of thousands of people should be considered just as serious as assaulting someone. It destroys lives, it takes lives. Jeffrey Skilling only served 12 years and was released last year. His victims are still imprisoned in a very different way.

In a perfect world I would agree with you. But... This is not a perfect world. Saving in a 401-K even when money is tight, and not continually borrowing against it, and not cashing it out when you switch jobs takes discipline, something many, no, I’ll say most Americans do not have, especially in their younger years.

That’s not even considering the idea that many, no most folks stay invested far too aggressively in the market, way too late in life and fail at their goal of retirement when a market correction occurs near their planned retirement date.

In my opinion this results in far less savings for many than actually needed to lead the life they want to lead.

That is the beauty of a defined benefit plan. You cannot touch it. No matter what you do in life you will still have that pension. You do not get to choose how it’s invested, so you will not make mistakes. Plus your employer paid 100% of the cost.

This should be coupled with other sources of income. I think retirement financing should be a multi tier strategy. I think that too many people only think of one thing, and if that one thing has a problem they suffer greatly through their most vulnerable years.

The tiers if possible might be...

Defined benefit pension plans
401-k savings plans
Rent free living through home ownership
Social Security
Use of your homes value if necessary
Equity in a business entity you spent years building
Real property, IE rental properties

Being a guy that is right at retirement age I san say that the value of my defined benefit plans exceed the value of my 401-k holdings, and I have been in matching 401-k plans for most of my career. Yes as a younger person I made some mistakes, like many do... That’s the risk of 401-K plans.

We all have examples. I have many old work aquatience buddies that are working late in life due to them thinking they knew the market better than the professionals and lost much of their 401-k values. I have other friends who used their 401-k money and their home equity to fund lifestyle. I work with a guy that is almost 59 years old and is borrowing against his 401-k to buy siding for his new shop.

A couple of those examples also had defined benefit plans. Between those plans and their Social Security they do pretty well though, even after their costly lack of discipline mistakes. A buddy of mine lives in the Florida panhandle a couple blocks from the beach. He was a prime example of someone that would be in a VERY difficult position if it were not for his defined benefit plan. He retired at 58 with basicaly zero net worth, but had a defined benefit plan paying a bit over $4,000 per month. Between that and his social secirity he can make the mortgage on his home and get by pretty well.

Last edited:
Beg to differ in that a portion of my paycheque was deducted for my pension...the employer did not pay 100% of it.

Pretty sure my contributions over the years (was sent a letter saying I could pull my portion out as a lump sum) added up to about $150,000.00

Last edited:
"The tiers if possible might be...

401-k savings plans
Social Security
Real property, IE rental properties"

Bingo! We are fortunate to have all of these:thumb:

They too are not mutually exclusive, companies can and do offer both non contributory pensions and 401K. Less of them than before I grant you, but they are still around.

And Enron (and Delta) are the outlying examples.

I wouldn't agree with them as outlying as many smaller businesses which would never make the news have done similar.

In a perfect world I would agree with you. But... This is not a perfect world. Saving in a 401-K even when money is tight, and not continually borrowing against it, and not cashing it out when you switch jobs takes discipline, something many, no, I’ll say most Americans do not have, especially in their younger years.

That’s not even considering the idea that many, no most folks stay invested far too aggressively in the market, way too late in life and fail at their goal of retirement when a market correction occurs near their planned retirement date.

In my opinion this results in far less savings for many than actually needed to lead the life they want to lead.

That is the beauty of a defined benefit plan. You cannot touch it. No matter what you do in life you will still have that pension. You do not get to choose how it’s invested, so you will not make mistakes. Plus your employer paid 100% of the cost.

This should be coupled with other sources of income. I think retirement financing should be a multi tier strategy. I think that too many people only think of one thing, and if that one thing has a problem they suffer greatly through their most vulnerable years.

The tiers if possible might be...

401-k savings plans
Social Security
Real property, IE rental properties

Being a guy that is right at retirement age I san say that the value of my defined benefit plans exceed the value of my 401-k holdings, and I have been in matching 401-k plans for most of my career. Yes as a younger person I made some mistakes, like many do... That’s the risk of 401-K plans.

We all have examples. I have many old work aquatience buddies that are working late in life due to them thinking they knew the market better than the professionals and lost much of their 401-k values. I have other friends who used their 401-k money and their home equity to fund lifestyle. I work with a guy that is almost 59 years old and is borrowing against his 401-k to buy siding for his new shop.

A couple of those examples also had defined benefit plans. Between those plans and their Social Security they do pretty well though, even after their costly lack of discipline mistakes. A buddy of mine lives in the Florida panhandle a couple blocks from the beach. He was a prime example of someone that would be in a VERY difficult position if it were not for his defined benefit plan. He retired at 58 with basicaly zero net worth, but had a defined benefit plan paying a bit over $4,000 per month. Between that and his social secirity he can make the mortgage on his home and get by pretty well.

I don't disagree with what you've written. Simply will state that defined benefit plans have long been declining.

Now, from an employer's standpoint the problem with defined benefit. A negative market turn can have a huge negative impact. It can create a huge unfunded liability and even bring the future of a company into question. It's a gamble that, as an employer, I won't ever make. Now, if employees do want defined benefits, then fixed annuities are the approach we encourage. Not the investment vehicle I'd recommend but a way of getting a defined benefit.

I'll emphasize one thing you spoke about, employees investing too aggressively. I think it's critical for employers to offer investment education to employees, and not to get that from someone selling anything. We do provide sessions regularly and require all employees to sit through a session and take brief tests at least once a year.

Also, something I opposed at first but don't now. Withdrawals from 401-K's need to be based on hardships. When my employer limited those hardships greatly, I opposed it thinking it's their money, why should they be restricted. I think you gave reasons above. Many companies restrict to very limited reasons and require some level of documentation. Most common are home purchase, education, and medical. Those are all things consistent with the spirit of long term savings. But no borrowing to buy the hot new car.

Does anyone here have a company pension (not government/military)?

My 20-year (not including the 4 years at USNA) US Navy retirement is 20.7% of my current income. The balance is all self-created.

I don't disagree with what you've written. Simply will state that defined benefit plans have long been declining.

Now, from an employer's standpoint the problem with defined benefit. A negative market turn can have a huge negative impact. It can create a huge unfunded liability and even bring the future of a company into question. It's a gamble that, as an employer, I won't ever make. Now, if employees do want defined benefits, then fixed annuities are the approach we encourage. Not the investment vehicle I'd recommend but a way of getting a defined benefit.

I'll emphasize one thing you spoke about, employees investing too aggressively. I think it's critical for employers to offer investment education to employees, and not to get that from someone selling anything. We do provide sessions regularly and require all employees to sit through a session and take brief tests at least once a year.

Also, something I opposed at first but don't now. Withdrawals from 401-K's need to be based on hardships. When my employer limited those hardships greatly, I opposed it thinking it's their money, why should they be restricted. I think you gave reasons above. Many companies restrict to very limited reasons and require some level of documentation. Most common are home purchase, education, and medical. Those are all things consistent with the spirit of long term savings. But no borrowing to buy the hot new car.

401K's are another good idea that have many problems when put into practice - while the ability and costs to provide a 401K have improved a bit they are fairly costly/complicated and the real life ability to get and keep particpation is a very large challenge.

Not sure if anyone posted this, so just in case. Very handy tool..... If I have X dollars and take out Y every month/year and my ROI is Z...... how long will my money last?

https://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/savings-withdrawal-calculator-tool.aspx

Good stuff!!

This assumes long term averages for Z, not necessarily including the short-term volatility of the stock market vs. your withdrawals, which could affect your effective rate(s) depending on the timing.

A bit more work, but I like the firecalc.com calculator for a more detail and "what if" scenarios. Lets you get as OCD you want.

I have always managed our investments because I enjoy it, but I paid a financial advisor (fee only) for access to their financial planning calculator when I was 6 months out from retirement last year. It is very detailed and requires quite a few hours to input all of your data. It is similar to Fire-Calc, but much more detailed. It then runs 10K trial scenarios (like most models do) to verify if you can make it into the finish line.

Totally agree about the blatant stealing people's pensions. Yes, they should go to jail and pay restitution! Also, our US govt is guilty too. When the PBGC (part of the govt that takes care of bankrupt companies) takes over, they don't care if the pension is fully funded, especially if there's more than one employee group on the property (ie: management and different unions). They take ALL the money and one might get 10c on the dollar, and you can't fight it. They just take it! That happened to me on my old day job. If they had just split up the pension savings, we all would have been happy with that. Some lost millions and some ended up committing suicide.

That's why I argue strongly... keep your pensions under you own control, if you possibly can. But plan for the worst regardless... it may not be there in the end.

Good stuff!!

This assumes long term averages for Z, not necessarily including the short-term volatility of the stock market vs. your withdrawals, which could affect your effective rate(s) depending on the timing.

A bit more work, but I like the firecalc.com calculator for a more detail and "what if" scenarios. Lets you get as OCD you want.

If you really want to get detailed and compare things like Roth conversions and other variables cosider the free RPM calculator - very valuable but requires time in set up and use:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Retiree_Portfolio_Model

For some detail but much less time expended you can also try the free but usefull extended IORP calculator:
https://www.i-orp.com/EmptyRow/extended.html

Greetings,
Mr. BB. Re: your post #123... "...the executives of Enron should have been charged with murder..." Hahahaha..Silly boy. The rich and well connected don't go to jail or aren't charged with anything, EVER.

How about the exec's at Goldman-Sachs? I'm positive you could find numerous cases of suicide by homeowners due to their (G-S's) manipulation of the mortgage markets.

Oh, some poor schuck might be thrown under the bus as a sacrifice to appease the masses but NOT the big boys. Nope. In a LOT of cases, money and morals are mutually exclusive.

My father was self-employed. After retirement, he "complained" that his 401k grew while he was withdrawing the required minimum. He was into equities. He received a federal pension equal to mine for being in military service for less than three years. (He was a POW for nine months.)

Isn't one problem with 401ks is that they are taxed as earned income without capital gains consideration?

Ten percent of my former co-workers died from disease or accident shortly after retiring. A similar percentage died before retirement.

Last edited:
My father was self-employed. After retirement, he "complained" that his 401k grew while he was withdrawing the required minimum. He was into equities. He received a federal pension equal to mine for being in military service for less than three years. (He was a POW for nine months.)

Isn't one problem with 401ks is that they are taxed as earned income without capital gains consideration?

Ten percent of my former co-workers died from disease or accident shortly after retiring. A similar percentage died before retirement.

"Isn't one problem with 401ks is that they are taxed as earned income without capital gains consideration?"
You are correct - if you retire early you can likely pull the 401K and either use it or convert to a Roth at much lower rates before collecting SS.

"My father was self-employed. After retirement, he "complained" that his 401k grew while he was withdrawing the required minimum"
This is great but I am surprised - self employed and small business's have been challenged to have decent 401K plans.

It's always a tough decision.

My employment ended in April due to covid-19 , and I'm still unsure if I'm unemployed or retired.

Luckily, I owe nothing. The house has been paid off, and I've never used credit to purchase a car, boat or other depreciating asset.

I still occasionally apply for an advertised job, but only the few that I'd look forward to each day. I'm short listed for one that I'm excited about, and will find out soon whether I'm still a working guy or retired. I'd be happy either way.

So, at the precise minute I should have been walking out the door to drive to work on my first Monday of retirement, this song comes on a folk music station I had on the TV:

So, at the precise minute I should have been walking out the door to drive to work on my first Monday of retirement, this song comes on a folk music station I had on the TV:

Murray
Congrats on getting it right!

I had a slow run-down exiting the day-to-day working world. For ten years, when not working 16-hour days in the field on the company's contract with the Navy, I worked 30-hour weeks, but there was so much field work that I made over full time pay. I really enjoyed the field work. When we did not have field work, I enjoyed long weekends during my 30-hour weeks in the office. At one point I told the boss I no longer wished to participate in the office-related work and just went on field work, which slowly declined in frequency, for another five years until they finally trained up a person to match my unique skill. So after 52 years I signed out of the DOD security clearance system.

I quit work 3 times in 2 years. I was in my mid 50s.
The 3rd time they asked me to stay to the end of the year, I said NO. I had over 20 years in. That was 21 years ago.
I spent time at Chapman's school, passed the Captain's exam and bought a Nordhavn 46. It was dropped in the boat yard resulting, totaled. After 3 years, I bought this American Tug 34.
My recommendation is to retire as soon as possible/practical.
Too many people died without trying to empty their bucket list.

I was in the "three bad days in a row" stage of my eligibility and then I had them in February, and so I turned down a promotion/PCS to our nation's capitol and retired on the last day of March instead. In the midst of all that going on, our retirement plans to purchase and travel/liveaboard full time were further disrupted by Covid-19 as well as some extended family issues here in Nevada, so after a three week break of actual retirement we packed up and moved and I started working full time again to establish a "beachhead" and to fill our coffers a bit more in anticipation of our delayed but very much still anticipated plans. This is a much more enjoyable work situation, a full-time training position which I love, and I went from managing a workforce of about 140 persons, to managing only myself. Plus, there's that whole "double-dipping" thing :thumb: But, I hope to get back on track with the original plan in the next year or so, and say goodbye to this position as well.

I see retirement as similar to having that first baby, the dubious but still somewhat applicable advice: Wait until you can afford it, and you may never do it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom