When to replace hoses 2002 Cummins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spinner

Guru
My 42 Nordic Tug has a single 6CTA8.3M engine, 2002 model, and an Onan generator of the same age.

For proactive maintenance, is there a time when all of the hoses should be replaced? I don’t have any maintenance records from the PO, therefore my question....

Many thanks!

The port engineer I used to work for said 12 yrs on all hoses. That's 12 yrs from date of manufacture not 12 yrs of service.

The above make sense I add that if you see any cracking replace then regardless of age. Consider new clamps as well.

I don't know about price for Cummins parts, but my Perkins parts are pretty reasonable. I replaced all hoses, hose clamps, lift pump, and both water pumps. I think all-in the parts were around $750 or so, but not positive as I did some other work at same time. I know the water pumps were surprisingly inexpensive - something like $400 for both. Good for the soul.

10 years or abnormal wear sounds about right. For me, had been more than 10 years and everything looked fine, but wanted preventative maintenance.

The service manuals don't cover the change frequency at least for the Qsb which is a cousin to your engine. They are "long life" belts. I think the previous advice is good and I would change them if you think they may be original.

I replaced all the hoses and clamps on my 2003 Yanmars this Spring when I took all the coolers off for cleaning. The hoses were all in good shape, but I figured that after 17 years it was time.

I have a yr 2000 6CTA 450 with about 4000hrs. About 4yrs ago I pulled all the coolers, cleaned them, and while doing that put on all new hoses and put in fresh coolant. The hoses were still in pretty good shape, but with all that stuff off it was easy. Puts the mind at rest.

If you are going to replace the hoses, do the coolers at the same time.

I don't know about price for Cummins parts, but my Perkins parts are pretty reasonable.

Far cheaper still is to buy good quality silicone hose by the meter on ebay and cut yourself and have plenty left for spares

I would think that 18 year old hoses are due for replacement. Better and easier to do it at the dock on a scheduled basis than underway in heavy weather.

When we took possession of our boat six years ago there was a full set of spare hoses for both Lehman 120s. Not knowing the age of them existing hoses I replaced all even though they all looked just fine. Even if I didn't have those spares I would have replaced them.

When we took possession of our boat six years ago there was a full set of spare hoses for both Lehman 120s. Not knowing the age of them existing hoses I replaced all....
American Diesel sells a complete set of hoses in a package,the likely source of the pack you found. Worth knowing if you own these excellent engines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom