When a queen isn't a queen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
I am struggling to find a fitted sheet to fit the "queen" size mattress on our Mariner 37. It may have many dimensions similar to a standard queen size, but the forward corners are angled to follow the shape of the bow and the aft end is somewhat rounded. This means that the elastic corners of typical fitted sheets do not have enough to grab on to and the sheet eventually balls up under the sleepers. Not good (for me).

I have looked at sheet garters, but they are not an inspiring solution. Guessing someone makes custom fitted sheets for unusual shaped trawler mattresses. I may try my hand at sewing a pair of sheets into a sheet "sleeping bag" into which the mattress would fit. A zipper at the open end would prevent it from moving around beneath sleeping occupants.

Also guessing there is a wealth of knowledge here. What do you guys do if commercial sheets don't fit your mattress?

We have made custom sheets and also gone the garter route. Our current boat just needs a bit of help so we went with garters on it. On a previous boat we made custom sheets out of a set of king size sheets. We cut the king size down to fit the mattress and it worked well. Way cheaper than having a marine company make them for you.

Use flat sheets tucked under, if still wadding up use safety pins.

In not, custom sheets, but I bet the tailor at any dry cleaners could sew a couple sets up after you mark them for less money, plus you get the sheets you like.

I use king size sheets for the top and went the buck for custom fitted sheets for the mattress. Also had custom mattress cover made. Always start with king size sheet and mattress cover.
I consider this a one time expense.
Once a week, I take the one set to the laundromat, put the other set on the mattress.
Ya'll spend bucks on other things but, skim on sheets?

Back
Top Bottom