Old 03-16-2022, 11:24 PM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
You guys do realize that oil has dropped almost $40.00 a barrel in the last 4 days?, closed today at $96.00.
I think production is up tempering cost.
HOLLYWOOD
Must be a conspiracy!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 01:16 AM   #22

City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: Rascal
Vessel Model: Homemade
In a sense we are all on a fixed income. The folks working can only earn so much and reach an expense limit at some point. You gotta play the hand you are dealt. In 2020 when the U.S. and Canadian border was closed we pulled a back burner idea off the shelf and toured around in southern Puget Sound with our little red boat that is my avatar. Also in 2020 since Canada wasn't in the cards it allowed us to bring our niece with us on a charter in the San Juans. The time with her was more valuable than the destination. In 2020 fuel was dirt cheap and if I would have had the time and a bigger boat I would have gone up the Columbia and then up the Snake river. That's a bucket list item for me. Guys were sitting around trying to figure out what to do and I was thinking run the Snake.

If the round trip to Alaska is going to blow the fuel budget then what about doing the West Coast of Vancouver Island or poking around Haida Gwaii this summer. Not sure if going south has much appeal, the best I could say is cheese in Tillamook or explore the red woods out of Crescent City.

Or can you figure out a reasonable way to cut down on fuel consumption. Can you throttle back and pretend you're a Nordhavn 40 or CHB 34 moseying along at 5.5-6 knots? Would that save enough fuel to make a difference? Here is a crazy one if you're running straight up to AK. Have a diver pull a prop and run on one screw to K town. Have a diver slap the prop back on in K town so you have twins for poking around during the summer. Do the reverse coming home. Crazy yes but that's gotta help cut the fuel bill. Might even cut some stress too, you only have to worry about running over stuff on the side of the boat that has the prop. 50% less stress? I thought I saw somewhere about a couple on a Bayliner 3888 that did this in the Caribbean to get more range because they lacked the tankage for the distances they wanted to travel. The 3888 was what they had to work with so they figured out a way to make that boat work for them. Someone may know who I am thinking of.

Another thought, would a couple fuel drums in the cockpit give you the range you need to be able to fuel in the most affordable places?

Another thought, do you have a buddy you would trust with your boat. Let them run the boat up and pay for the fuel. Maybe they want to cruise the inside passage but only have a limited time to do it like the classic two week vacation which works out to about 16 days with the weekends. They get to check off a dream trip of the inside passage and your boat gets to K town on their dime. Everybody is happy, they in essence get a free charter and you just cut your fuel bill by a 1/3 or more. You fly into town to meet your boat with a nice fuel buffer in your wallet.

Overall though it is a scary scenario with the pocketbook because AK is an out and back trip. If prices jump up once you get up there that could really, really, really suck when it's time return home.
RedRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 02:15 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
At the risk of repeating myself from another thread:

While you can choose to sit out a year, your internal clock still keeps ticking. If you sit out this years and it turns out to be the last year of your boating life, how will you feel? How many more boating years do you think you have? When lying on your death bed, will you view sitting out this summer as a good choice or exceptionally short sighted?

Ted
yes, Very well said!

I just turned 60 last week. Retirement is 12 shifts away.

May 1st I'm leaving and heading south regardless of the fuel cost.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 04:21 AM   #24
Guru

City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Originally Posted by 2savage View Post
Remember, it's just numbers on a piece of paper. Life is real. This is not a dress rehearsal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
This is a true statement. Am I freaking out?
So true! Just cut back a little in spending. We just got rid of our 2nd car. It was a great having it, but 95% of the time the Admiral and I were together.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:09 AM   #25

City: Bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2savage View Post
Remember, it's just numbers on a piece of paper. Life is real. This is not a dress rehearsal.
You stole my words. I thought I made that up. I've been saying for a lot of years, money is just numbers on paper. You move numbers around, but it's mostly meaningless.
NEtrawler58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Must be a conspiracy!!
I don't think production has changed at all in 4 days and even if it did, It wouldn't reach the market quickly enough to cause that change. Prices right now are based on emotion and speculation.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:33 AM   #27
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEtrawler58 View Post
I don't think production has changed at all in 4 days and even if it did, It wouldn't reach the market quickly enough to cause that change. Prices right now are based on emotion and speculation.

Decisions on production changes can impact those emotions, however (even if the actual change hasn't happened yet).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Decisions on production changes can impact those emotions, however (even if the actual change hasn't happened yet).
True, but I haven't heard anything about that.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:50 AM   #29
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Yep, sailboaters are laughing at this problem.
Depends on the sailboat

One that offers the level of comfort we now enjoy and can maintain a 7.5knot average is going to cost an easy 10x or more than what we paid.
And then be to much of a handfull under sail 2 up so will be motored most of the time anyway
2 X 150hp engines will likely use as much fuel as what we currently burn

I'm good thanks.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:54 AM   #30
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Sure sailboaters, laugh at this problem, as you slip on a steep, wet companionway stair tread, crash down to the sole, go careening across the salon until you hit your head on the mast coming up through the middle of the salon, then crack your rib cage against the gimbaled stove because you slid across the teak-and-holly floor because the boat was heeled over at 20 degrees. You'd wave for help out the window, but since you only have tiny little porthole windows, and they're over your head and above your sightline, nobody will notice to send you medical help. But no worries, if you're unconscious, at least you won't be kept awake all night by slapping halyards, tink tink tink tink tink tink...
I know. It's amazing sailboaters even survive sailboating, much less enjoy it!
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:28 AM   #31
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Must be a conspiracy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEtrawler58 View Post
My using the word conspiracy is only a joke, NE. Truth of the matter... abuse of capitalism... for ways to make the most profit possible during times of high stress - is the "devil in the current mix"!

Capitalism:

An economic stance, a mobile financial-alteration system; i.e., a loosely, mostly privately controlled monetary flow-rate that operates in accordance to instantly adjustable product value-adjustments. Wherein private as well as public company actors/owners control property in accordance with their best interests. "Supply and demand" somewhat freely sets prices in markets as a way that may [or may not] serve the best interests of society. However, an essential feature of capitalism's rather free wheeling financial-style... is the high dollar preemptive motive to make as much profit as possible.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:46 AM   #32

Thanks Art. I tend to believe in capitalism and laissez-faire in principal. I do have to admit that I am disturbed to hear that oil companies are hauling in record profits right now. I expect prices to rise with the cost of oil but that doesn't mean that profit margins have to rise as well. I may be getting this wrong by just listening to the news. But if the price of oil doubles, but the cost of producing and supplying gas to consumers only goes up 20%, why should the cost of gas double? Just because consumers think it's a 1 to 1 relationship to the price of crude? Or is it a money grab by big oil? I generally don't demonize big business or deny their right to maximize profits, but not if they are taking advantage of us just because they can.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:56 AM   #33

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Chez Reagan
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
Quote:
You guys do realize that oil has dropped almost $40.00 a barrel in the last 4 days?, closed today at $96.00.
HOLLYWOOD
Who could have guessed that oil at almost $100/barrel would be good news?
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Who could have guessed that oil at almost $100/barrel would be good news?
I bought premium gas for $4.59 at Costco the other day and turned to my wife and said "Wow, that's a really cheap price!!". It's all relative....
Old 03-17-2022, 08:32 AM   #35
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Since the cost of any discretionary travel (air, RV, boat) are all going to be higher this year I have 2 choices
A - stay home
B - go boating

I choose B.

I also tend to look at things over a longer time period. In 2018 I was paying $3.30gl, 2020 I paid $2.20 so if I pay $4.50 this year my cost average over the 4 years will be around $3.50. Do I want to pay more, no but I also want to keep things in perspective.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:04 AM   #36
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Sure sailboaters, laugh at this problem, as you slip on a steep, wet companionway stair tread, crash down to the sole, go careening across the salon until you hit your head on the mast coming up through the middle of the salon, then crack your rib cage against the gimbaled stove because you slid across the teak-and-holly floor because the boat was heeled over at 20 degrees. You'd wave for help out the window, but since you only have tiny little porthole windows, and they're over your head and above your sightline, nobody will notice to send you medical help. But no worries, if you're unconscious, at least you won't be kept awake all night by slapping halyards, tink tink tink tink tink tink...

Never happened while we sailed. Were we doing it wrong?

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:09 AM   #37
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
As one who keeps there boat in SE Alaska I can add that dock prices in Petersburg will be going up this summer. Monthly rates will increase by about 5% and daily transient rates will rise to .75/ft. Of course, these are all still low by lower 48 values.

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:11 AM   #38
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
Quote:
HOLLYWOOD
Yes, but big oil is enjoying the current global situation to reap higher profits so it's unlikely prices will decline anytime soon. Refined fuel always goes up like a rocket and falls like a feather.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #39
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarden View Post
Yes, but big oil is enjoying the current global situation to reap higher profits so it's unlikely prices will decline anytime soon. Refined fuel always goes up like a rocket and falls like a feather.
Twin 370hp Cummings... Your 36' planing hull boat must fly!!!

What is good planing cruise speed and WOT speed for that baby?

I love raised deck hull designs. Your Lindell sweeps upward beautifully!

Art
Old 03-17-2022, 09:37 AM   #40

City: Oxford
Why don't more boaters call a fuel truck to meet them somewhere there is access and close to a road. Why only buy at a marina? I realize it must be hard to find somewhere like this but even if it takes 2 days to get there, you might be saving over $1 or more a gallon. If your tanks don't measure up to the fuel company's minimum delivery, get on the radio and talk up another person willing to go in with you.

Just kind of curious if anyone has done this, has heard of this, or am I just too much farmer-minded?
Ox76 is offline   Reply With Quote