Old 03-25-2022, 04:50 PM   #221
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
FWT. Truly hope that’s a lesson learned. Those who don’t understand history are doomed to repeat it.

Now if we can freeze the US treasuries China holds for Russia this atrocity will stop and fuel/gas will drop like a stone.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:08 PM   #222
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Reluctantly contributing to this far off topic thread, but an announcement today got my attention.

Maersk announced the addition of 300 all electric trucks for 2023-2025. Their goal is fully electric. The numbers shown in the release are that globally road freight is responsible for 8% of all carbon dioxide emissions. In the US, heavy duty trucks comprise about 1/4 of the transportation greenhouse gas emissions.

We've looked closely at Freightliner eCascadias. Schneider is initially adding 50 in California. I'm not attempting to convert anyone, but just more clarity that the movement to electric is well underway and going to happen.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:23 PM   #223
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Big difference between some recreational and light commercial plane running on 100LL substitute and an airliner crossing the ocean with 500 passengers on a jet fuel substitute.

Ted

Agreed. The certifications wouldn't be nearly as easy, so I wouldn't expect to see them for every plane still out there, only those with large enough active fleets to support it. I know tests on biofuel / jet fuel blends have been done with commercial aircraft. I just did a little more research on it and it looks like a couple of airline / airplane / engine combos have gotten approval to use the stuff for revenue flights as far back as 10 years ago.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:55 PM   #224
cks

City: Oradell
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: 2003 42í Grand Banks Europa
Itís a cycle. Donít sweat the small stuff.
The increased pricing was a given based upon the recovery from Coved. EVERYONE wants to go go go!
Putin invading Ukraine exacerbated the problem.
This will pass.
Use your boat. You have less years in front of you than behind you.
cks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:33 AM   #225

City: Sheridan
Vessel Name: Ethos of the T
Vessel Model: 26 Sedan Tollycraft
In the NEAR future the best way to really work towards alternative energy is to get the cost of home solar decreased to where 70 percent of people can afford it.

That could have a significant impact.
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:49 AM   #226
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by trihartsfield View Post
In the NEAR future the best way to really work towards alternative energy is to get the cost of home solar decreased to where 70 percent of people can afford it.

Unless you live in an area where the sun doesn't shine so much...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 03:55 AM   #227
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:

Solar is dirt cheap if you want it to be

Near new 2nd hand 270w panels are as little as $30 if you aren't fussy on brand.

30 seconds finds 28 panels and inverter for $400

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bibr...and/1285626391
Old 03-26-2022, 06:37 AM   #228
Guru

Tried to spec and get zoning approval for the small wind generators you see on the ridges of houses in parts of Europe. Live with 1 m of the ocean on a fresh water pond. Between the open water not blocking the wind and thermal effects we get more steady wind then our surroundings. Know from my experience with having two D400s on the prior boat solar does great in the summer but not so much in the short clement days of the winter. Like Fatty’s experience got more power from wind than solar during the winter and way more from solar in the summer.
Usually you need around 10kts. of wind for it to be useful. However on the ridge of my roof at dawn and dust thermals do that. But permitting was impossible. We’d be under the red light height of 100’ but still no go. Apparently there’s no carve out for very small, residential wind generators. This is unfortunate. For folks living near large areas of open water or on mountains where thermals are routinely present wind is a fairly cheap, low tech, reliable option. These small generators now have excellent bearings and improved blade design so are nearly noiseless. They do not require rare earths or metals.
Old 03-26-2022, 08:31 AM   #229
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Hippo
Like barking dogs, some (not all) home centric windmills make screeching humming noises but are never heard by the owners. Many zoning laws were written long ago when windmills were common for filling livestock tanks. Banning farm animals and windmills from suburban areas seemed to mean gentrification had arrived.

Get a large group of neighbors and sign a petition about the "ravages" of climate change. Then go to your town council meetings and open floor extol the virtues of windmills without tilting too much. Don't mention you sold your sailboat and bought a diesel burner though.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:49 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Very good point. I think overall it could help.
Old 03-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Solar is dirt cheap if you want it to be

Near new 2nd hand 270w panels are as little as $30 if you aren't fussy on brand.

30 seconds finds 28 panels and inverter for $400

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bibr...and/1285626391
Yes you can but what I was talking about is a system that will power a 1200 square foot house and above completely, without any noticeable change in someoneís daily activities. That is when it becomes cost prohibitive to most.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:25 AM   #232
Guru

Wasn’t town . In a park setting. Had the same problem on the boat in certain marinas. Reality is the D400s and several of the current offerings are truly near silent. Understand the laws about straight pipes on motorcycles which I also consider obnoxious although I’m a lifelong rider but the tech here has improved.

We live in a wooded area. After arguing with conservation was allowed to cut down a few trees. Our payback on BUYING not leasing our solar was 3 1/2 years with current tax effects and decrease in utilities. We get a monthly check from our utility except for 2-3 months a year. Over a year however we are revenue positive with no utility outlays at all even now as we’ve taken all our tax credits. We pay for water. Wasn’t allowed to dig a well as we are too close to a town park pond. If that wasn’t the case would have no utility bills at all. There’s a reason many companies are more than willing to lease your roof space or have you lease panels. The economics of small time residential solar works even without tax incentives as is a no brainer with them. Sure there’s exceptions due to climate or site. But think they are exceptional.
Old 03-26-2022, 10:12 AM   #233

City: Green Cove Springs FL
Vessel Name: Shellerina.com
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
My tank is topped of with the cheap ass fuel they were selling us 6 months ago. Can't wait to get some of this newer higher quality stuff. <wink>
Capt Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:52 AM   #234
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Production and consumption of oil can harmoniously exist with the simultaneous development of renewable resources. No reason to fight it, or take it personally.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:09 AM   #235
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Quote:
Very good point. I think overall it could help.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Denmark
Old 03-26-2022, 12:17 PM   #236
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Wasnít town . In a park setting. Had the same problem on the boat in certain marinas. Reality is the D400s and several of the current offerings are truly near silent. Understand the laws about straight pipes on motorcycles which I also consider obnoxious although Iím a lifelong rider but the tech here has improved.

We live in a wooded area. After arguing with conservation was allowed to cut down a few trees. Our payback on BUYING not leasing our solar was 3 1/2 years with current tax effects and decrease in utilities. We get a monthly check from our utility except for 2-3 months a year. Over a year however we are revenue positive with no utility outlays at all even now as weíve taken all our tax credits. We pay for water. Wasnít allowed to dig a well as we are too close to a town park pond. If that wasnít the case would have no utility bills at all. Thereís a reason many companies are more than willing to lease your roof space or have you lease panels. The economics of small time residential solar works even without tax incentives as is a no brainer with them. Sure thereís exceptions due to climate or site. But think they are exceptional.
Payback on our home is 20 years. Three bids, all much the same. Part of it is our utility and the state have created such rules that the grid fee remains. The other part is our home is so efficient. All lights are LED. Insulation is very high. Doors and windows and roof all to CAT 5 hurricane specifications. Energy efficient A/C. Our electric bill is shockingly low.

As to retail stores, still struggling to get anything to work. Would have been easy had we not previously switched to 100% LED. Lighting was our largest consumption, now it's Air Conditioning but most units now very efficient. Then we don't own our buildings so have to get landlord agreement.

Now the place we've found some payback is manufacturing. Put 500 sewing machines in a building and suddenly solar may have a decent, although not great payback.

Still, I do await the next leap in solar technology. I believe it will come and when it does it will make solar far more practical for residential and commercial. Meanwhile our utilities fighting to protect themselves and in Florida have the state government helping them, but even they are building solar capacity.
Old 03-26-2022, 12:33 PM   #237
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Production and consumption of oil can harmoniously exist with the simultaneous development of renewable resources. No reason to fight it, or take it personally.
Absolutely Correct!

Once climate heat increase is stopped... and, then annual climate temp is lowered just a bit... civilization will become the true "grounds keeper" for thermostatically controlling Earth's Ecospheric conditions.

Carbon positive, carbon neutral and even some sorts of carbon negative fuels will eventually be co-utilized [intermingled] as added parts for civilization's thermostatic control over Earth's air, land and water temperatures.

Hey, I'm not saying this isn't the biggest, most important, longest term job ever to face humanity!! - Well... Caus it is!!! But, please understand, the alternative is death of humanity as well as millions of other life forms.

Soooo... Some body's gotta do it! Tag - We're IT!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:42 PM   #238
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
B&B mentioned 20 year payback. That makes it a large outlay to justify for us older ones.

Perhaps it is time for the sunny parts of the world to change the new home building code to make solar panel a must install. That is a cost that can be absorbed by the new world order. It will phase in electric and phase out dino.
Every parking stall outfitted with charging stations for the cars.
Old 03-26-2022, 12:43 PM   #239
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Payback on our home is 20 years. Three bids, all much the same. Part of it is our utility and the state have created such rules that the grid fee remains. The other part is our home is so efficient. All lights are LED. Insulation is very high. Doors and windows and roof all to CAT 5 hurricane specifications. Energy efficient A/C. Our electric bill is shockingly low.

As to retail stores, still struggling to get anything to work. Would have been easy had we not previously switched to 100% LED. Lighting was our largest consumption, now it's Air Conditioning but most units now very efficient. Then we don't own our buildings so have to get landlord agreement.

Now the place we've found some payback is manufacturing. Put 500 sewing machines in a building and suddenly solar may have a decent, although not great payback.

Still, I do await the next leap in solar technology. I believe it will come and when it does it will make solar far more practical for residential and commercial. Meanwhile our utilities fighting to protect themselves and in Florida have the state government helping them, but even they are building solar capacity.

No need to worry about the 20 year payback, if the sea level rise happens at the rate the far left claim Florida will be under water before then.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 01:57 PM   #240
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
No need to worry about the 20 year payback, if the sea level rise happens at the rate the far left claim Florida will be under water before then.
HOLLYWOOD
Well, as someone living on the sea, the sea level rise is real. We're not underwater that quickly, but we're noticeably changing. We're talking 3.4 inches over 25 years but an accelerating pace. Current forecast by local governments in South Florida is 10-17 inches over next 20 years at current pace. Last century, the Florida coast averaged 2 mm per year so about 8 inches over the century. Last time we measured on our seawall was just over 1.5 inches since we moved here. The biggest issue is after storms the drainage canals are not flowing as they did. So, we won't be underwater in 20 years but without some change we will face some serious challenges.