Old 07-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #121
Veteran Member

City: Canby
Vessel Name: MV SeaStar & MV Southern Star
Vessel Model: 1969 DeFever-OBC 50' wood & 1970 DeFever-Kettenburg 52' wood
Visually, I think the last one is easiest to read (without the pronunciation marks). You might also play with all caps - I experimented and bold Tempus Sans font in caps has a similar look. Maybe a little darker but the font size and weight will effect readability. Nice name! Good luck!
SeaStarDF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:09 AM   #122
Veteran Member

City: Stuart FL Alameda CA
Vessel Name: Monarch III
Vessel Model: Bluewater Yachts 40' Pilothouse Trawler
Wow! so many opinions and advice. I would keep the same name. If it is a registered vessel, you have to pay to change the name with the Coast Guard. More importantly, I think it is bad "ju ju" to change a boat's name. The gods may not like it. :-)
Brusky1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:52 AM   #123
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I can't imagine anyone doing that! (Not to mention coasters, coffee cups, plates & jackets!) This is the best boat we've ever had and want everyone to know her name!
That's a great example of separating the graphic logo from the printed name such that the name remain easily legible by other boats trying to reach you or identify you. Nicely done.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:20 AM   #124
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brusky1000 View Post
More importantly, I think it is bad "ju ju" to change a boat's name. The gods may not like it. :-)
I thought I was the only one who still subscribed to this old superstition. It seems most change their new boat's name--particularly if it has some innuendo, which is understandable. I kept mine cause it had a neat story and also wouldn't cause confusion on the VHF.
Vashon_Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #125
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
The ju ju in Spanish would be hu hu
Old 07-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #126

City: Howell
Vessel Name: Hoosier Daddy
Vessel Model: 38 Marine Trader Sundeck
I like the name. It is hard to come up with a unique name for a boat. I think the second choice looks best. I like the color but if it is hard to see you could have it outline with a darker shade.
Mark Myns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #127

City: Groton, CT
Boat name

Just remember that if you want to document the boat the Coast Guard has very specific rules about typeface and sizes.
muthrtuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #128
Guru

City: Blossom Village
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: DeFever 59 PH
Yes they do, and if you ever get boarded for CG inspection they WILL tell you about it.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #129
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Night Watch
Vessel Model: 36í Nova Sundeck
Thumbs up Boat Name

Part of the uniqueness of the name is that it has meaning to you, which this does.
Since you are spelling it phonetically, Iíd leave off the marks over the letters. But if you do use the marks óóas far as the bridge logs go, I donít think itís necessary trying to explain what an umlaut is and where it goes.

Considering all the boat names in the local marinas, I havenít seen that name before so you came up with one that isnít common or complicated.
Without seeing the transom itís hard to choose a font, Iím still trying to figure out where to put mine as the swim step ladder, hatch, and propane box donít leave much clear space.
Being that I'm working on the bonding and live in freshwater, I havenít done the naming ceremony yet, but look forward to that maritime tradition when the time comes. Commercial boat names change all the time; some older commercial vessels have a build name before the buyer changes it. My documented vessel has changed with each owner.
Good luck on your new boat!

PS Fishermen can be superstitious - hence biting the head off a pollock to ensure a good season is an accepted practice on one factory processor here.
Night Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #130
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Haven't read this whole thread but I could argue STRONGLY to give the boat a simple, easy to read and easy to pronounce name.

There's nothing worst that trying to read some odd ball foreign name written in reverse old handed English cursive with a background of the same color.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #131

City: Berkeley Lake
Vessel Name: Equus
Vessel Model: Four Winns Express Cruiser
Best name I ever saw was ďSail Bad the SinnerĒ!
BoatersMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #132
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin 40
If you actually believe what some here have posted about the Coast Guard and what they accept or not... I suggest that you go to your local Coast Guard station and ask a fairly SENIOR person with a picture of your boat name or what you want and see what they say. Do NOT ask the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

My research and 23 years in the USCG says they're probably going to smile and say put on whatever you want because that's what the regs say as long as they are Arabic and of the right size and of a contrasting color. They may say what exactly many of said here. simple and legible will be less trouble ......but they really can't do much about it.

I will refer you to Post 113 which contains the Coast Guard requirements from a boating site that isn't often wrong

PS :Arabic does not mean block
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #133

City: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Wow all the nay sayers!!! Personally as a Vietnam Vet, I like it - we used the term Boku all the time. (As in "Dat GI boku dinky dau"). But, I like it very easy to spell phonetically. A few letters so it can be visible - and the name means something. I say "just do it" (with apologies to Nike). And........I like the first graphic as well.

PS: with over 120 vigorously expressed opinions - ya gotta let us know what you decide!!
Best to you, yours and Boku!
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #134
Veteran Member

City: Glenshaw
Or more comically: BooKoo!
frndrfoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:22 AM   #135

City: Holly Springs
I like your logic. It means something to you and it's your boat. I like the third graphic best. Enjoy YOUR boat!
Todd727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #136
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If you actually believe what some here have posted about the Coast Guard and what they accept or not... I suggest that you go to your local Coast Guard station and ask a fairly SENIOR person with a picture of your boat name or what you want and see what they say. Do NOT ask the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

My research and 23 years in the USCG says they're probably going to smile and say put on whatever you want because that's what the regs say as long as they are Arabic and of the right size and of a contrasting color. They may say what exactly many of said here. simple and legible will be less trouble ......but they really can't do much about it.

I will refer you to Post 113 which contains the Coast Guard requirements from a boating site that isn't often wrong

PS :Arabic does not mean block
Thank you. I've recently researched recreational boat naming requirements and found:

State of TX - 3" contrasting block letters/numbers with no boarder, nor decorative additions (palm trees), placed on both sides of the front half of the boat.

USCG - 4" contrasting letters/numbers, Arabic script (Roman numerals, etc.), any font, any boarder or decorative additions allowed (palm trees), placed anywhere visible on the boat. The 4" height includes hailing port.

I'm just about to order my boat name decals (It was harder than I thought to design). Good luck OP.

Todd
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:46 AM   #137
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
I like it. Out of the designs I like the middle one but it needs to be darker and contrast the hull colour.
34Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #138
Scraping Paint

City: nowhere
This is the version we are going with, minus the stumps under the words.
Attached Thumbnails
Bokublue.jpg  
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #139
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
It is YOUR boat so you have finally made the decision!!!
Old 07-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #140
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd2 View Post
Thank you. I've recently researched recreational boat naming requirements and found:

State of TX - 3" contrasting block letters/numbers with no boarder, nor decorative additions (palm trees), placed on both sides of the front half of the boat.

USCG - 4" contrasting letters/numbers, Arabic script (Roman numerals, etc.), any font, any boarder or decorative additions allowed (palm trees), placed anywhere visible on the boat. The 4" height includes hailing port.

I'm just about to order my boat name decals (It was harder than I thought to design). Good luck OP.

Todd
Can you cite references? It honestly sounds like you might be confusing the requirements for registration numbers, not the boat name.

3"/4" boat name is going to be very difficult to read in anything but a marina.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote