Old 07-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #101
Scraping Paint

City: nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
This is terrible!
See that’s an opinion that I can deal with.
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #102
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
I wanted to incorporate some kind of graphic that can be monogrammed on fender covers, matching bath towels, maybe some outdoor upholstery, a life ring etc etc.
I can't imagine anyone doing that! (Not to mention coasters, coffee cups, plates & jackets!) This is the best boat we've ever had and want everyone to know her name!
Attached Thumbnails
Dinghy.jpg   Helm Cover.jpg   pillows & coasters.jpg   Side View.jpg   Stern door open.jpg  

Transome door.jpg   Transome.jpg  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #103
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I can't imagine anyone doing that! (Not to mention coasters, coffee cups, plates & jackets!) This is the best boat we've ever had and want everyone to know her name!
Yes, but you're name is legible on the transom, what's up with that?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #104

City: Marina Del Rey
Quote:

So what do you think about the new graphics to go on the transom? 1, 2, or 3?
For ease of reading, I would pick #3.
I prefer capitol letters, or upper/lower.
That said...
When someone says BOKU, all I can think of is that scene in Full Metal Jacket. You know the one.
FrontBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #105

City: Hawaii
I think the US Coast Guard requires block letters.
ProMaritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #106
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMaritime View Post
Got a reference? I looked but couldn't find one....if they require it on recreational vessels, A HUGE number of vessels aren't in compliance
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #107

City: Propriano
What is your opinion

BOCU is the phonetic of «*Beau Cul*» or «*Nice Ass*», and nous thé phonetic of «*Beaucoup*», the lettre U not being phonetic of the sound «*you*» but of a sound barely used in the US! So be carefull
LeMalouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #108

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
My initial reaction (first 3 seconds) was "why not use the correct spelling?". Then, sanity prevailed (thinking of bridge tenders and marinas). When I saw your first graphic, my opinion changed 180 degrees - I LIKE IT! A lot! Especially with the "special" versions of the O and the U. It looks very tropical, as I'm sure you intended.

As long as it's very legible (size, color, placement), go for it! (And you're correct - any four letter name is fine, as long as it's not confusing. While "Boku" isn't something that anyone will know, it's easy to say, easy to spell, and, for anyone who wants to know, easy to explain.

RE: changing the name - do it. Do the ceremony, not because it makes any difference, but because it's fun. Smartini got a name change shortly after we bought her over three years ago, and a few thousand miles and 5 countries later, I'm happy we changed it, every time I tell someone the name.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #109

City: Ventura, CA
Are you sure that is phonetically correct?
bbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #110

City: Houston
OP isn't asking if we like the name. Only about the graphic.

I'm a purist so for the transom (not cushions, fender covers, etc) I maintain the general rule of using simple block letters in a very contrasting color. (e.g. - off-white or maybe gold leaf letters on a varnished wood transom a la Grand Banks, or a dark color on a white transom) There are clear Coast Guard requirements although not heavily enforced.

The name itself should be about 1/3rd of the height of the transom (either from the water, or from the top of a swim platform). That sounds big to most people, but on a 36" high transom, 12" letters look pretty good. If you have a longer name, 10" might be right.

The hailing port letters should be, say, 4-6", depending on the boat size of course. Typically they are black.

Sorry BoKu...I can't go with the artistic teal stylized letters.

ps: on big ships, the hailing port is usually just the city (Djarkta, New York, Amsterdam). But on personal boats the state is technically required. You can get away without the state if your boat is registered in a big city.
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #111
Veteran Member

City: Rapid River
Vessel Name: Sabbatical
Vessel Model: Golden Star 37 Sundeck
In Vietnam, our way to communicate "many" or "much" to Vietnamese was "beaucoup", pronounced boo-ku.

The word does not foster pleasant memories.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #112
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove springs
Boat name

Quote:
Dear God this is going to be one of those threads where everyone has something to say, but nothing is in relation to the original question isn't it?
I just started reading this thread and haven't seen anyone being rude. Suggestions about height, font, location, easy to understand on vhf.
Other than that it's your boat call it what ever YOU want. BOAT meets all the requirements just not very original.
Southx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #113
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin 40
https://www.boatus.com/boatgraphics/...quirements.asp

The "hailing port" must include a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.

Note: There is no requirement for block letters or any other restrictions to type, font, or color for federally documented vessels.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #114

City: Propriano
absolute worst choice, the phonetic in French is absolutely wrong and extreme offense, the phonetic is underlined with the "trema" double points on the U which in german alter the sound to the worrst french word!

but if you like it, "nice (x)ss"
LeMalouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #115
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMaritime View Post

They don’t, not on recreational boats.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #116
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I have no criticism of the name/graphic. Boku will sound fine over the VHF and who cares how it is spelled at the other end? As long as the word gets through, spelling can be corrected later, if even needed.

I thought Frolic would be easy over the radio, but not so much. However, not being a cruiser anymore, I rarely need to communicate with anybody on the water.

Not being documented, I can change the name anytime, even back to what it was when I bought it, but Stray Dog just ain't me.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #117
Veteran Member

City: Palatka, Florida
Vessel Name: Neeltje
Vessel Model: 1902 Dutch Tjalk
The name is great, and since there's only one way to pronounce it in English, you can lose the accents.

I should probably have let you find this out on your own, but when a Frenchman says it, it sounds more like "Beau Cul" (Nice Ass)...
Jacques Burgalat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #118
Veteran Member

City: Chicago
Reminds me of the phrase in the movie Platoon. When the ladies of the night said “ no, no too buku to the black soldiers
Bigal6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:19 PM   #119

City: Marina Del Rey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigal6030 View Post
Reminds me of the phrase in the movie Platoon. When the ladies of the night said “ no, no too buku to the black soldiers
Uhhhh... Already referenced and the movie was Full Metal Jacket.
FrontBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #120
Veteran Member

City: Washington State PNW
Vessel Name: Island Comfort
Vessel Model: Monk 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
My 2 cents is the name will give rise to lots of misunderstandings on the VHF. In an emergency that's the last thing you would want.
That is hilarious.. I have heard a number of "emergencies" on the VHF and SSB.. mostly people just screaming in the mic, they certinly were not worried about their boat name being misunderstood.. and as the man said "Bravo Oskah Kilo Uniform" is pretty simple and easy to understand.

I delivered a boat once for a couple, her name was Phyllis. His Richard. Their last name I will not say, but started with a "T". The boat was named "Phyl T Rich. Did I get some comments from bridge tenders etc...

As to your question, it is your boat, choose the name and design that pleases you. You want to smile and feel good when you come up on your stern in the anchirage.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote