Whats your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Boku is alright. I like the clear graphics of #3. I don't think one requires the - over the O nor the umlauts over the U to pronounce it properly. Years ago I had a sailboat that was named Wineaux when we bought her. We changed it to Java Jive. We enjoyed her for 20 years. The new name was only slightly problematic as when using the radio telephone over the VHF we were called Java Five. Yes it was a long time ago. My second large vessel and first trawler was previously named Afterburn II. PO had a boat burn up and this was the second replacement. We changed the name to JoJava. Now I inherited Aquarius and while long and not pertinent to us, it is acceptable.

OK, you asked for other people’s opinions, then when others give their opinions you get pissed off at them. Have a suggestion for you, don’t ask for others opinions anymore. We all want to help and try to give honest help and opinions but really don’t appreciate it when you dump on them for trying to help you. I have thought about this post for a long time before posting it and decided that if you don’t appreciate my opinions or help then that is OK, just don’t ask anymore.

An opinion is “I like this one”, “I don’t like this one”, or “try making it easier to read.”

An insult is “well if you’re not going to do it our way then it must be all about you.”

I’m ok with opinions. I’m not ok with being told that if I don’t do things other people’s way, then there’s something wrong with me.

And I’ve changed it up a bit. I’m going to take the stumps out on the final application.

Attachments

• CED0DAAA-6B43-4B61-9487-4C2B57371DF3.jpg
    CED0DAAA-6B43-4B61-9487-4C2B57371DF3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 35
So I guess when the originator asks for an opinion and gets an answer, "I dont like it", he will not be happy with the stated opinion? I guess he should have never asked for an opinion. SHRUG

And I’ve changed it up a bit. I’m going to take the stumps out on the final application.
Just a quick note and hope you find this slightly amusing. I have dyslexia and can't read cursive in any form but I try. Using the other posters comments, I was able to figure out what your new graphic says. In school I was taught to adapt to my issue and read. Of course, 99% of everything I read through out school was printed text.

Boku looked like Bakii and Seabrook, TX looked like Geolrook, JX. :facepalm:

Maybe you decided already, but FWIW I`d lose the palm trees, except maybe using one at the end like an exclamation mark.
Not much appeal in the post 84 suggestion :).

Is there any connection between the name and the palm trees? Is the inference many palms? vs your original post referring to inheriting many $.

I like option 2, without the omlots, etc. "Boku" is a common enough phonetic of the French word which I believe entered the lexicon during the Viet Nam years due to our French predecessors over there. I do think your home port should either be the same font as the name, or simple block letters instead of script.

Is there any connection between the name and the palm trees? Is the inference many palms? vs your original post referring to inheriting many $.

There’s actually no connection to the palms, I just don’t like plain letters on the back of a boat. I like to stand out from all the “seas the days” and the “aquaholics” or the “happy ours”.

When I think about names I like, I always think about SV Delos who has the buda as part of their name. Or Sailing Uma who also has their own logo. Or Acorn to Arabella who also uses a big Acorn. I wanted to incorporate some kind of graphic that can be monogrammed on fender covers, matching bath towels, maybe some outdoor upholstery, a life ring etc etc.

I wanted to incorporate some kind of graphic that can be monogrammed on fender covers, matching bath towels, maybe some outdoor upholstery, a life ring etc etc.
I can't imagine anyone doing that!:ermm: (Not to mention coasters, coffee cups, plates & jackets!) This is the best boat we've ever had and want everyone to know her name!:dance:

Attachments

• Dinghy.jpg
    Dinghy.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Helm Cover.jpg
    Helm Cover.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 42
  • pillows & coasters.jpg
    pillows & coasters.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Stern door open.jpg
    Stern door open.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Transome door.jpg
    Transome door.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Transome.jpg
    Transome.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I can't imagine anyone doing that!:ermm: (Not to mention coasters, coffee cups, plates & jackets!) This is the best boat we've ever had and want everyone to know her name!:dance:
Yes, but you're name is legible on the transom, what's up with that? :rolleyes:

Ted

So what do you think about the new graphics to go on the transom? 1, 2, or 3?

For ease of reading, I would pick #3.
I prefer capitol letters, or upper/lower.
That said...
When someone says BOKU, all I can think of is that scene in Full Metal Jacket. You know the one.

I think the US Coast Guard requires block letters.
Got a reference? I looked but couldn't find one....if they require it on recreational vessels, A HUGE number of vessels aren't in compliance

What is your opinion

BOCU is the phonetic of «*Beau Cul*» or «*Nice Ass*», and nous thé phonetic of «*Beaucoup*», the lettre U not being phonetic of the sound «*you*» but of a sound barely used in the US! So be carefull

My initial reaction (first 3 seconds) was "why not use the correct spelling?". Then, sanity prevailed (thinking of bridge tenders and marinas). When I saw your first graphic, my opinion changed 180 degrees - I LIKE IT! A lot! Especially with the "special" versions of the O and the U. It looks very tropical, as I'm sure you intended.

As long as it's very legible (size, color, placement), go for it! (And you're correct - any four letter name is fine, as long as it's not confusing. While "Boku" isn't something that anyone will know, it's easy to say, easy to spell, and, for anyone who wants to know, easy to explain.

RE: changing the name - do it. Do the ceremony, not because it makes any difference, but because it's fun. Smartini got a name change shortly after we bought her over three years ago, and a few thousand miles and 5 countries later, I'm happy we changed it, every time I tell someone the name.

OP isn't asking if we like the name. Only about the graphic.

I'm a purist so for the transom (not cushions, fender covers, etc) I maintain the general rule of using simple block letters in a very contrasting color. (e.g. - off-white or maybe gold leaf letters on a varnished wood transom a la Grand Banks, or a dark color on a white transom) There are clear Coast Guard requirements although not heavily enforced.

The name itself should be about 1/3rd of the height of the transom (either from the water, or from the top of a swim platform). That sounds big to most people, but on a 36" high transom, 12" letters look pretty good. If you have a longer name, 10" might be right.

The hailing port letters should be, say, 4-6", depending on the boat size of course. Typically they are black.

Sorry BoKu...I can't go with the artistic teal stylized letters.

ps: on big ships, the hailing port is usually just the city (Djarkta, New York, Amsterdam). But on personal boats the state is technically required. You can get away without the state if your boat is registered in a big city.

In Vietnam, our way to communicate "many" or "much" to Vietnamese was "beaucoup", pronounced boo-ku.

The word does not foster pleasant memories.

Boat name

Dear God this is going to be one of those threads where everyone has something to say, but nothing is in relation to the original question isn't it?

I just started reading this thread and haven't seen anyone being rude. Suggestions about height, font, location, easy to understand on vhf.
Other than that it's your boat call it what ever YOU want. BOAT meets all the requirements just not very original. :socool:

https://www.boatus.com/boatgraphics/uscg-requirements.asp

The "hailing port" must include a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.

Note: There is no requirement for block letters or any other restrictions to type, font, or color for federally documented vessels.

Last edited:
absolute worst choice, the phonetic in French is absolutely wrong and extreme offense, the phonetic is underlined with the "trema" double points on the U which in german alter the sound to the worrst french word!

but if you like it, "nice (x)ss"

I have no criticism of the name/graphic. Boku will sound fine over the VHF and who cares how it is spelled at the other end? As long as the word gets through, spelling can be corrected later, if even needed.

I thought Frolic would be easy over the radio, but not so much. However, not being a cruiser anymore, I rarely need to communicate with anybody on the water.

Not being documented, I can change the name anytime, even back to what it was when I bought it, but Stray Dog just ain't me. :)

The name is great, and since there's only one way to pronounce it in English, you can lose the accents.

I should probably have let you find this out on your own, but when a Frenchman says it, it sounds more like "Beau Cul" (Nice Ass)...:angel:

Reminds me of the phrase in the movie Platoon. When the ladies of the night said “ no, no too buku to the black soldiers

My 2 cents is the name will give rise to lots of misunderstandings on the VHF. In an emergency that's the last thing you would want.

That is hilarious.. I have heard a number of "emergencies" on the VHF and SSB.. mostly people just screaming in the mic, they certinly were not worried about their boat name being misunderstood.. and as the man said "Bravo Oskah Kilo Uniform" is pretty simple and easy to understand.

I delivered a boat once for a couple, her name was Phyllis. His Richard. Their last name I will not say, but started with a "T". The boat was named "Phyl T Rich. Did I get some comments from bridge tenders etc...

As to your question, it is your boat, choose the name and design that pleases you. You want to smile and feel good when you come up on your stern in the anchirage.

M

Back
Top Bottom