What's Your Hardware/Fastener Storage Solution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leatherneck

Vessel Name
Devil Dog
Vessel Make
1987 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
I've collected a lot or bolts, screws, washers, you name it, I've got it! I was hoping to get some ideas on how to organize them and what kind of containers to use to keep them in. Looking forward to hearing your solutions...my mason jar is getting full! :confused:

I use storage containers like these. Got them at Home Depot. Have one each for electrical connectors, sheet metal screws, nuts and bolts, large electrical connectors, 2 for snaps.

DEWALT
10-Compartment Deep Pro Small Parts Organizer

Dave, do the bolts, screws, etc stay confined in their compartments when you hold the closed case vertically? I've seen some (not this one) that generally mix up all the parts if carried vertically.

For a while I was drinking protein energy drinks that came in a 6 once clear bottle with a red cap. Works well for screws and fasteners up to 3/8". Use a label maker to mark the top of the cap. Currently they're in a cardboard box. Probably need to upgrade to a tray.

It's important to remember that you don't need a lot of each one, better to have a few of every size.

Ted

Dave, do the bolts, screws, etc stay confined in their compartments when you hold the closed case vertically? I've seen some (not this one) that generally mix up all the parts if carried vertically.

Yes they do as long as you latch the top, ask me how I know... Now I am especially careful to latch it after I get what I want out even if I think I will need another item shortly. I latch them up immediately since it takes several hours to sort them all out again. I have about 20+ pounds in the nuts and bolt box and it holds just fine. You want the ones that have individual boxes inside and not the slide in dividers, those don’t keep things separate.

I've collected a lot or bolts, screws, washers, you name it, I've got it! I was hoping to get some ideas on how to organize them and what kind of containers to use to keep them in. Looking forward to hearing your solutions...my mason jar is getting full! :confused:

First of all, Semper Fi!

I use the Husky brand from Home Depot. There are 2 sizes, the pic is of the larger one, the smaller ones are basically the large one but half the size. Things stay put except for smaller washers, they make a mess.

I really like the smaller ones as they stack well and fit well in small weird boat places....and if you drop a small one your mess is smaller.

I have about 8 bins for various things. Screws. Bolts. Snaps. Electrical. Nuts. Washers. Fuses. And a random one for those weird things you don’t dare throw out.

61883990688__582F92BD-E609-4378-B762-7F5DD1619F58.jpg

If you have a Harbor Freight near you they have a lot of storage solutions.

I also use a fishing tackle box with removable, pull-out storage compartments which
also houses the electrical terminal supplies.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you they have a lot of storage solutions.

I also use a fishing tackle box with removable, pull-out storage compartments which
also houses the electrical terminal supplies.

I also use Harbor Freight storage boxes. Cheap and many different sizes are available.

After many years, I gave up. I have a huge variety or everything, except enough of what I need. I never have the right length, the right size (#6, #10?) or the right number. I'll have bolts, but not enough nuts (or vice versa).

Now I simply buy what I need when I need them. Storing every size (length) of every size (diameter) screw, bolt and nut and washer simply doesn't scale to a reasonable means of storing them all.

Let me tell you something you will thank me for -------- if you don't already know about them.

First, get a parts organizer that has REMOVABLE BINS. I have four of the ones shown below. 1 for all bolts, 1 for all screws, 1 for all nuts/washers, and one for electrical.

I only sort the bins to a general level for each - "large"/"medium"/"small", "short"/"long", etc.

Then get a SORTING TRAY that has a funnel at the edge - I use the one below.

You dump out your bin, use the tray to EASILY find what you need, then pour the rest right back into the bin.

Maybe I was just stupid (high probability), but this ROCKED MY WORLD.
If you don't already do this - DO IT!! Do it NOW!

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-09-09 115342.jpg
    Annotation 2020-09-09 115342.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Annotation 2020-09-09 115406.jpg
    Annotation 2020-09-09 115406.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I put all fasteners in a bin and use a sorting tray when i need to find the correct one.

Those individual sliding drawer sets aren't worth anything. Too much space for their utility and too hard to see contents until open. Put stuff in a jug and dump in a tray if you want it simple.
I use plastic food storage containers with snap on lids, not glass.

Sorting takes more time that the job I want to do most times, the the plastic sectioned trays work for me, and you can flip them upside down and toss em around and nothing gets loose or mixed up.

2nd those, I use the Stanley version, they interlock and stack well. I've stacked them 10 high in the engine room and bungee cord them down. Label them on the sides.

The Brockerts

Like many things, it depends on where how you boat and for what lengths of time.

The old cliche is very true "The definition of cruising is: fixing your boat in exotic places."

I found having a great supply of sorted, very easy to access fasteners on board to be a godsend. Likewise various parts and tools.

Thanks for all the advice and ideas. I'm getting a couple of the Stanley 25-Compartment Shallow Pro Small Parts Organizer at Home Depot. I think it will fit my needs. Lots of removable trays and stack-able.

I'm not sure whether you mean for on the boat or in the shop. This is my in-the-shop method, but others may have a boat large enough for same.

I buy most of my fasteners from McMaster Carr, and they come in little white cardboard boxes (not corrugated, but more like a cereal box). I keep them in those boxes, which are labeled as they come, but add more labeling on all sides with a black sharpie.

I have kept the boxes in a few different schemes. For a while I had them in larger cardboard boxes by size (1/4", #10, etc.). Then I used one of those Stanley type black and yellow boxes with the removable bins (putting the small white boxes in the bins). Now I use a set of large shallow drawers in a roll-around toolbox. This was a more "economical" box so lightish duty, but fine for fasteners. So nice to pull out a drawer and see all the boxes nice and tidy.

For oddball or used-but-still-good fasteners, I either use a previously emptied McMaster box (if it's a set), or I do have one divided compartment plastic box that is sort of "Misc," but roughly divided by type (pointy or not) and head (flat/oval or cap/truss/etc.

I'll probably never have a boat big enough for this system, so there it will just be one "jar" of misc. and a sorting tray.

Bolts together, nuts together , screws together. Unless its small stuff in a box.

Usually there simply dumped on the table as usually a compromise will be needed to get enough to do a job.

Might have to sacrifice long bolts with a hack saw , or go thicker in diameter to have enough for the job.

Same with electrical stuff like sockets and plugs, the ability to compromise saves a 60 mile one way ride.

Terminal ends have their own electrical case of compartments.

Last edited:
Have you ever stuck a magnet into a some HF "stainless" screws?

I have.

No Thanks!

Agreed. Marine grade stainless steel is 316. I've never seen 316 stainless sold at Harbor Freight, Home Depot or Lowes. They all sell 304 stainless. 304 stainless has no business on a boat in saltwater environment.

I do like Comodave, though perhaps a slightly different model. We get the 20-compartment DeWalt trays. the tray dividers can be reconfigured for different size compartments within each tray. I think we're up to five of these and they stack and interlock and sit in a cabinet. we label the side as to category of parts or supplies (screws, plumbing, electrical, etc) so when a project comes up you just look at the side label and pull the tray that has the stuff you need...

dewalt.jpg

And as mentioned above, get a Rockler sorting tray. Makes it simple to find the one part you need and then put the rest back into the compartment. They are $3. Works great.

Easy Sorter Funnel Tray From Rockler.

Parachute bag n a 5 gallon bucket for larger, round plastic trays with lids for smaller. One 5g bucket holds a hard wear stores worth of fasteners/electric fittings. Assuming you’ve room of course.

Let me tell you something you will thank me for -------- if you don't already know about them.

First, get a parts organizer that has REMOVABLE BINS. I have four of the ones shown below. 1 for all bolts, 1 for all screws, 1 for all nuts/washers, and one for electrical.

I only sort the bins to a general level for each - "large"/"medium"/"small", "short"/"long", etc.

Then get a SORTING TRAY that has a funnel at the edge - I use the one below.

You dump out your bin, use the tray to EASILY find what you need, then pour the rest right back into the bin.

Maybe I was just stupid (high probability), but this ROCKED MY WORLD.
If you don't already do this - DO IT!! Do it NOW!
===========================================

Hi like your set up
where did you get this container?
thanks
David

Depends on where you plan to store your stash. We have a good-sized area under one of our drawers, where 12 Plano 6-21 storage boxes will stack....3 across and 4 high, with the end facing out. I put the dividers in to get 18 compartments in each box. I have 2 boxes for FH Bolts, 2 for RH Bolts, 2 for FH Screws, 2 for RH Screws, 3 for crimp-on electrical fittings, and 1 for nuts and washers...all sorted by diameter and length. And then we use cleaned-out peanut-butter jars for larger things. And I (now) have 3 more storage boxes for longer and/or bigger bolts, plus one for split rings, cotter pins, etc. All my fasteners are s/s. A lot of stuff, but it sure comes in handy when something breaks....which always seems to happen.

Have you ever stuck a magnet into a some HF "stainless" screws?

I have.

No Thanks!

I won't have to worry about HF any more. The borders are still closed and US politics will keep me at home in Canada, where HF has no stores.

I've been using a pair of Plano 137401s

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3FKTO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but learned the hard way that the handles on these won't hold up to a full payload of stainless steel fasteners. A couple of trays full of screws/bolts is fine but at least two of the four have to be devoted to lighter stuff like electrical connectors, hose clamps, etc.

Also I am forever dealing with little plastic tray divider inserts that manage to migrate upward while I'm fishing for something. Fasteners get underneath them and now time gets wasted fixing that.

I like boathealer's thinking and will go shopping in that general direction at some point, at least to replace the box I broke with my accidental overload "test". Removable bins and somewhat smaller, sturdier boxes seems wiser, in retrospect.

Back
Top Bottom