What's your dream boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sooo ...... Given a reasonable pocketbook and looking at a suitable size, which type of Trawler is the best; best value, set up, etc., etc ..........

Sooo ...... Given a reasonable pocketbook and looking at a suitable size, which type of Trawler is the best; best value, set up, etc., etc ..........

Fiberglass

Single diesel (IMO)

10 to 15 years old (Usually half or less of new, still in descent condition, most of the infrastructure still sound, common problems are known, easier to find a "ready to cruise" as opposed to a "project boat")

Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2 (nice master, marginal 2nd cabin to discourage long term guests)

Air draft max 19', preferably 15'

Water draft less than 5', preferably less than 4'

If it can carry fuel, water, and food for 2 weeks, think you will be able to cruise anywhere you want to go.

Others may / will disagree. :eek:

Ted

Fiberglass

Single diesel (IMO)

10 to 15 years old (Usually half or less of new, still in descent condition, most of the infrastructure still sound, common problems are known, easier to find a "ready to cruise" as opposed to a "project boat")

Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2 (nice master, marginal 2nd cabin to discourage long term guests)

Air draft max 19', preferably 15'

Water draft less than 5', preferably less than 4'

If it can carry fuel, water, and food for 2 weeks, think you will be able to cruise anywhere you want to go.

Others may / will disagree. :eek:

Ted

This actually describes my boat exactly:

Single Yanmar

8 years old, common problems fixed, electronics replaced, ready to cruise.

Drinks for 6, dinner for 4 and sleeps 2, with a marginal second cabin is a perfect description. Great master on my boat with a small second cabin for occasional overnight guests.

My air draft is 15' so I get under most bridges.

Water draft is 3'8".

225 gallons of fuel will last me months at my slow burn rate.

The problem I have encountered is that most folks will buy an old leaky teaky for $40-100k that will need much updating, rather than spend the money for a boat already in sound condition and ready to cruise.

Mine is for sale btw. Easy to get a loan on a 2008 model boat.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dE7-K56iiyL6sgU9jqREtPBL8eUBHkLHSjVJHzC-QQE/mobilebasic

Last edited:
Green ones

It's not that easy being green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow, or gold
Or something much more colorful like that
It's not easy being green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over
'Cause you're not standing out
Like flashy sparkles in the water
Or stars in the sky
But green's the color of spring
And green can be cool and friendly-like
And green can be big like a mountain
Or important like a river
Or tall like a tree
When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why
But why wonder why wonder
I am green, and it'll do fine
It's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be

I guess that we will be "Green" as our color choice for the tug is a color we admired on this little Shelter Island Runabout...
Bruce

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 62
I guess that we will be "Green" as our color choice for the tug is a color we admired on this little Shelter Island Runabout...

Bruce

Love that Colour!
There was a custom 48' catamaran moored right beside us here in Fiji,,, a beautiful sort of minty-green colour I guess one could call it. Absolutely stunning, trimmed out with white accents. Very cool.

"as did the winches scattered around the fore and aft decks."

Installing used sail boat winches is a great addition to ant cruising boat.

At least one on each stern quarter and one in the bow if where is a windlass not a capstan, can make docking or locking a simple chore.

The bride is 100 lbs and can easily pull 1,000 with a geared winch with little effort.

Used is good and a floating handle is strong enough.

Since 1995 I've had 9 boats. From 29.5' to 54'. I am now on my last boat and my second Ocean Alexander 42 which my wife & I love! Large salon, open galley, nice cockpit, 2 staterooms and 2 heads, fly bridge helm (no down helm) Davit and a complete walk around. We cruise her at 15-18 knots but she will do 20 knots at max cruise.
IOO (In our opinion) she's the perfect boat for coastal SoCal cruising.

No argument from me, Walt. ;)

Of course my current boat is my dream boat,that's what I tell my wife anyway.
Actually the things i really like about the Cheoy Lee 66 are,in no particular order;
Walk in engine room with a workbench,decent pilothouse with a settee,proper dining table,twin engines,twin genny's, a big round bum,nice deep forefoot,stabilisers,instant starting on my Detroits.
What i don't like is a smaller list;too much external woodwork(I'm lazy)
old steel fuel tanks,window leaks and condensation stains on my interior woodwork,no stern platform.
As usual it's a work in progress,but that's the fun part.

Of course my current boat is my dream boat,that's what I tell my wife anyway.
Actually the things i really like about the Cheoy Lee 66 are,in no particular order;
Walk in engine room with a workbench,decent pilothouse with a settee,proper dining table,twin engines,twin genny's, a big round bum,nice deep forefoot,stabilisers,instant starting on my Detroits.
What i don't like is a smaller list;too much external woodwork(I'm lazy)
old steel fuel tanks,window leaks and condensation stains on my interior woodwork,no stern platform.
As usual it's a work in progress,but that's the fun part.

She does have an excellent bum. :thumb:

That looks like the vessel we saw in Grace Harbour several years ago. I believe the original owner built it to tour the NW passage.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

There were three of them cruising the area in 2014. They seemed to be in and out of the Discovery Harbour Marina here in Campbell River a fair bit over the summer.

Nice boats, although they can be difficult to see on the water in a number of different lighting conditions.

If money were no object, I'd have a Burger 144 Tri-Deck Motor Yacht. That would be the home away from home, and a nice 30 ft dingy to get around in, and a helicopter to go home with.

I used to have some money, but over the last 10 years I spend a lot of dollars on nice boats and wild women. The rest I wasted.

Attachments

• Burger.jpg
    Burger.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 63
If money were no object, I'd have a Burger 144 Tri-Deck Motor Yacht. That would be the home away from home, and a nice 30 ft dingy to get around in, and a helicopter to go home with.

I used to have some money, but over the last 10 years I spend a lot of dollars on nice boats and wild women. The rest I wasted.

I would love to see Burger actually build a yacht again, especially one of their new designs that they've never built.

I have it already, NORDIC TUG 37! With each passing day it seems better. Fits perfectly in the The UNIQUE archipelago, and the whole of the Baltic Sea area and gives me a chance to go to the European channels always the Mediterranean Sea, a wonderful dream ...

If you are interested in to see what is the archipelago sea, see this link. We dont have tide in baltic sea, we can doging islands...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archipelago_Sea

I would love to see Burger actually build a yacht again, especially one of their new designs that they've never built.

I thought they were doing fine. They don't build a lot of them, but they are still doing ok as far as I know. Am I missing something?

I thought they were doing fine. They don't build a lot of them, but they are still doing ok as far as I know. Am I missing something?

Burger has been several years since building a recreational boat. They do say on their web site they now have one under construction. To my knowledge their most recent delivery was Lady Gayle Marie in 2011. They delivered several boats in 2008 and 2009.

They have been doing rebuilds and they've been doing a lot of commercial work including boats for tours and cruises on the Great Lakes.

They have the designs of some very updated boats ready to build at any time. Most people buying in their size range though have either gone to composite instead of metal or, on the other end of the spectrum, are going to builders like Feadship.

I would love to see some yachts built by Burger. We chartered one in 2013 and while we couldn't have been happy with it's lack of speed (12 knots cruise, 14 max), the workmanship was incredible. The boat was nice in every way. It was built in 2003 and just gorgeous. Would not hesitate to cross any ocean in that boat.

Burger has been several years since building a recreational boat. They do say on their web site they now have one under construction. To my knowledge their most recent delivery was Lady Gayle Marie in 2011. They delivered several boats in 2008 and 2009.

They have been doing rebuilds and they've been doing a lot of commercial work including boats for tours and cruises on the Great Lakes.

They have the designs of some very updated boats ready to build at any time. Most people buying in their size range though have either gone to composite instead of metal or, on the other end of the spectrum, are going to builders like Feadship.

I would love to see some yachts built by Burger. We chartered one in 2013 and while we couldn't have been happy with it's lack of speed (12 knots cruise, 14 max), the workmanship was incredible. The boat was nice in every way. It was built in 2003 and just gorgeous. Would not hesitate to cross any ocean in that boat.

BandB,

Thx for the update. Wasn't sure what they've been doing for awhile. A friend of mine is higher up in their organization and I'll contact him to see what up just for grins, but been several years since we've been in touch.

They do make nice boats.

They don't need no stinkin' flying bridges!

My dream boat is a Fleming 55. For just piddling around I am happy with my Grand Banks 32.

I have to admit that I love Bermuda! There is nothing like getting there in your own boat. If I were to want to travel great distances across oceans, I'd rather sail. That is one place a sailboat is my preference. As we are parting ways with our sailboat the same boat we sailed to Bermuda three times, for a decidedly non ocean crossing boat, I guess we will resort to flying there. That isn't all bad either!
Bruce

Totally agree. Even though it wasn't my boat, I crewed on a 76-foot Alden to St Georges several years ago. (Actually the owner of the boat used to own the company.) Wonderful voyage, wonderful destination. Something about reaching a dot on the charts in the middle of a wide ocean that is profoundly satisfying.

Our latest dream boats are those Fred Wahl fishing trawlers, made on Oregon. Tried to post a foto, but wasnt able to. They are 59' feet long(to comply with some weird Alaska gov restriction), but an amazing width of 28'! They also hold an amazing 9400gallons of fuel. Hulls are steel. These would have to be on anybody's shortlist, if theyre really concerned about safe boats.

fun thread...thanks for bringing it back to life

My wife and I really liked this FPB64 that fueled up at Cap Sante this past Saturday. The guy singled handed it and made it look easy. Per him, "You get used to it." :)

That is an interesting one...like a cross in many ways to some monohull sailboats.

I'm still trying to figure out my dream boat

The mega yacht requiring a crew.... well nice in a different way & I suppose if I had that kind of means, my thinking would be different

As I am now, I'm much more interested in something that can be single handed but primarily handled with a crew of two
accommodations for a retired couple, & for occasional guests
lots of light and windows for life at anchor
Seaworthy for some carefully planned passage making
I still like the idea of a MV that can sail, but I'm starting to understand the shortfalls there... Still there's something about the idea of moving for free when the wind is right and not listing to an engine!...but then having a boat designed for power.
But yet suitable for some river and canal cruising too....

Willard 40 no flybridge

Krogan 39

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom